Parks 2025: Southern Flinders Ranges- Melrose SA $10M

Ackland

chats d'élevage
SA has finally gotten some traction.
$5M from National Parks and $5M from the feds.

This is on the back of many years of hard work by the local shop, "Over the Edge" and "Bike Melrose"
$10M to go towards MTB trails, upgrades to camping and a new multi day hike.

Some will be familiar with the old school hand built magic that is Melrose singletrack and others will be Eastern staters who refuse to travel West for some reason.
https://www.trailforks.com/region/melrose/

Some master planning and economic studies are available at:
http://www.bikemelrose.com.au/current-projects.php

slowmick

38-39"
Did the first fat tyre festival way back when. Would love to get back there. Such a cool place. One can day dream instead of working.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
That's awesome @Ackland - how much scope is there to expand the current trail networks beyond their current footprints?

Nambra

Possible for some epic “backcountry” trails then? I was only asking as the trail network around Melrose seems confined within a fixed footprint. Will the national park be off limits?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Possible for some epic “backcountry” trails then? I was only asking as the trail network around Melrose seems confined within a fixed footprint. Will the national park be off limits?
It's a National Park driven project.
The biggest identified risk with Melrose at the moment is that almost all of the 72km of trail is on private tenures.
It's pretty safe considering the land owners and their families are the ones who built them but there's a part of the project which will investigate future proofing.

Not shown on trailforks are some other private land trails.
Hopefully the project can secure these for public access as well.

Hopefully some clearer messaging about the project delivery will be prepared soon but the Minister for Environment is right behind this one.

He organised a ride with Troy Brosnan the other week!

http://instagr.am/p/CC2MnRdjcVZ/

Nambra

I thought the Melrose trails were on private land. Great that it’s getting support at a ministerial level, it will be a huge tourism boost for the region. You’ll have artisan bakeries, wood fired pizza and microbreweries popping up everywhere!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I thought the Melrose trails were on private land. Great that it’s getting support at a ministerial level, it will be a huge tourism boost for the region. You’ll have artisan bakeries, wood fired pizza and microbreweries popping up everywhere!
Then all the festering Melburnians will come over, demanding we asphalt all the trails.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The biggest identified risk with Melrose at the moment is that almost all of the 72km of trail is on private tenures.
It's pretty safe considering the land owners and their families are the ones who built them but there's a part of the project which will investigate future proofing.
Its not safe at all. Local politics, change of ownership or anything could happen the way things are at the moment, the loss of the town trails would be devastating.

Bartagunyah and Simons are not so crucial but the McCallums land adjacent to the town/cvan park are what makes Melrose.

@Ackland any idea how the future proofing will work ?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Update....

We're out for public consultation on amendments to the Plan of Management for the Mount Remarkable National Park...

@ozzybmx... One of the locals doesn't seem impressed at your recent property purchase

Billy's Mate Karen said:
Furthermore, Melrose is increasingly becoming a tourist and holiday destination, and we have seen interstaters and folk from the city buy houses in our town just for the occasional use. This means it is so much harder for young families to buy our homes, and in turn there is less people in the community who actually consistently contribute. I believe that THIS is the reason the school is at risk!!