Paterson Kona 24 Hour - May 21/22, 2011.

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Hey look! Maybe we can go right next year and change that sign to 'halfway there'
To be honest on the practice lap on Sunday morning that's exactly where I thought we were going. I also spent a long time laughing at the A-line across the dam and no I didn't take it.

When I heard the rumour mill start after worlds that Roscoe and the Newy boys were planning a 24hr, I knew I had to be there, purely for the atmosphere.
Then rumours of the track and pictures started coming out and it just looked better and better. A-lines/B-lines - Dual Slalom - Cow lines ?
I really was hoping that this was going to be a great community atmosphere race with a relaxed local feel to it. From the lady on the gate collecting gold coin donations telling us we "were crazy for wanting to ride up that hill", to the great feed at the Tavern on the Friday night and I really wanted to enjoy that Bonfire on Saturday night, but thems are the breaks.
The track was a proper MTB track, and my hands and arms paid the price for that, it definately worked me over. I really need to learn how to descend properly.
For all the talk of the hills, I really liked the walk up Tuesdays, if you could ride it, it had plenty of grip. I found the 2nd fire road pinch to be more difficult due to the loose nature of the surface.
Mission accomplished, I had a great time, and I'll be trying to bring a few family crews up from C-town next year!
A big thanks to those that helped me out during the day/night/day.
A big congrats to every solo that was doing this for the first time, they'll all be easier from now on, unless your next one is the Patto next year :)
To all the first timers at a 24hr in a team, congrats to you as well, that was a tough course, but the sense of satisfaction felt from finishing a lap must have been great.
What a great event, I'm still smiling :)

krisko

Likes Dirt
I heard the guy that came 2nd rode with really long cranks! 195mm or something, thats just crazy! He was also riding SS also.....CRAZINESS I bet the waters parted for him also!!! haha

orphic

Likes Bikes
What a great event, I'm still smiling :)
Ditto. This in the clincher. I was told that I would be hating the world, hating the bike and generally in pain in the week after doing my first solo 24... But all I want to do is go back to Pato and ride! A testament to how much fun was had.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I noticed in an earlier post that someone was after a photo of The Tops.
That was me, I appreciate you posting those up here Jackman, I'll be adding those to my collection.

On a side note: Does anyone know where there are more bessa blocks for TINA's? The supply that I found dumped in the bushes has all been used and berms that aren't armoured during 24's turn into a disaster with heavy traffic.
I've got a stash of left over blocks at my place that you are welcome to, I'll flick you a PM with my details.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
On a side note: Does anyone know where there are more bessa blocks for TINA's? The supply that I found dumped in the bushes has all been used and berms that aren't armoured during 24's turn into a disaster with heavy traffic.
Surely the easier way would be to cut everyone's rear brake lines....

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
I finally got around to editing the video footage I had lying around. Enjoy![video=youtube;Bf1qdrpZZU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf1qdrpZZU4[/video]

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This won't be assistance directly, but I bought a heap of seconds stock from a local masonry producer for about $1 each. If you can find a supplier you might be able to do the same.

Any chance you can post or PM photos of your reinforced berms? I've got a couple that I would like to work on.