Pawn shops that deal in bikes: Melbourne area

zen zen

Likes Dirt
good on ya

good on ya The Depot Prahran wish there was more of you owners around some pawn shops take things no questions asked so good on ya mate :D

LOOK595

Squid
Dunndog, you're right - it's a fair assumption to make but if you see a really nice bike in my shop it has been traded in for something equally awesome like a professional DSLR camera for example. Or alternativley I could be selling it on someone elses behalf.

I do this for a living, I can smell a rat a mile off, so you can be assured if someone comes in to sell me a stolen bike they either get a headbutt or arrested, whichever comes first :)

Thank You.
You legend.

Sadly my LOOK 595 road bike was stolen 2 weeks ago in sth melbourne :(

If you see or hear anything, please let me know!

I've made a thread just below in the stolen section.

Cheers

rambam

Cannon Fodder
How do these bikes get stolen?

What kind of locks / locking mechanisms are being used. If I want to ride my bike to Uni everyday how can I protect my self?

damonlandsdown

Likes Dirt
replying to the first post,
if anyone could help on some more pawn shops near frankston,
had a DJ stolen an im looking for it. so any help would be appreciated

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
So really, any bike that's not old as the hills or a generic no name ride is more than likely a hot item that the thief want to get quick cash for. is this not a fair assumption? So next time a bike like this is brought in to a store by a drunk grey bearded dude wearing 8 layers on a 35 degree day who knows only that it rolls when facing downhill or you push those thingys with your feet, maybe he's NOT the real owner?!? Sure not ALL cases are going to be obvious, but by the number of sick bikes that show up in places like these there must be a fair bit of 'turning a blind eye' going on.. Who wouls sell their 4, 5, 6 grand bike to a cash converters for 600 bucks? Really?
Pawn shops can legally deal in stolen goods! All they need do is have the person pawning sign a waiver to say the goods are theirs and noone elses yadda yadda. If you ask a pawn shop if they have received a bike of this description they are not required to tell you, they are however supposed to call the police and report it stolen after you have described it correctly. The police will then contact you about your stolen bike!

TFRx Garlic

Cannon Fodder
For those in and near Greensborough, a friend in the force tells me that the pawn shop on Main street regularly has incomplete records of where their stock has come from. I'd recommend having a look there if something of yours had gone missing.
yer man that shop your talking about is greater trader it is better now but lately they have had really shocking bikes like kmart bikes so i think the cops probally had a good word to them

Mike45

Cannon Fodder
Pawn shop email list

Having a bike stolen from my ute at the weekend, I thank "gumbyhead" for his Cash Converters list.
I have just copied each address, so I thought I would attache the, email only, list as a quick way of assisting.
First though, the Bike stolen details, and appreciate any help locating it.
Details are
Brand, Giant
Model, ReignZero extra large frame
Retail $4,800.
Colour, Black with minor green trim.
Thanks, now the list for you to copy.
BallaratVIC@au.cashconverters.com;BendigoVIC@au.cashconverters.com;BurwoodVIC@au.cashconverters.com;CollingwoodVIC@au.cashconverters.com;CraigieburnVIC@au.cashconverters.com;CroydonVIC@au.cashconverters.com;DandenongVIC@au.cashconverters.com;TaylorsLakesVIC@au.cashconverters.com;EppingVIC@au.cashconverters.com;FootscrayVIC@au.cashconverters.com;ForestHillVIC@au.cashconverters.com;FountainGateVIC@au.cashconverters.com;FrankstonVIC@au.cashconverters.com;GeelongVIC@au.cashconverters.com;GlenroyVIC@au.cashconverters.com;HeidelbergVIC@au.cashconverters.com;KnoxCityVIC@au.cashconverters.com;MelbourneCityVIC@au.cashconverters.com;MeltonVIC@au.cashconverters.com;milduraVIC@au.cashconverters.com;MooneePondsVIC@au.cashconverters.com;MorwellVIC@au.cashconverters.com;NorthcoteVIC@au.cashconverters.com;ParkdaleVIC@au.cashconverters.com;PrahranVIC@au.cashconverters.com;PrestonVIC@au.cashconverters.com;RichmondVIC@au.cashconverters.com;SheppartonVIC@au.cashconverters.com;SunshineVIC@au.cashconverters.com;WerribeeVIC@au.cashconverters.com;WodongaVIC@au.cashconverters.com;

Attachments

RB 24

Likes Dirt
saw a Giant tcr advanced white and black model (2012?) in a small at Cashies main st Bendigo today. The thing was dirty and in no way a roadie would sell or leave their bike in that condition. Just seems a bit sus.

hope this helps if it has been knicked.

There seems to be a sellers on Gumtree in Keilor and Melbourne CBD that always have numerous bikes for sale with descriptions such as "only XX amount of km" "lots of money spent" etc. It just seems really odd they have so many different bikes for sale in numerous sizes, ages, condition etc. I'm not saying they are stolen but it's good to keep an eye out and report anything suspicious.