Pawn shops that deal in bikes: Sydney area

faulko

Likes Dirt
I gotta say i love the "i got your back bro" attitude with bikes.

Haven had stuff stolen myself i know the pain and since riding again i too keep an eye out for dodgy people with nice gear.

Good to see folks care.

Minlak

custom titis
https://www.thetileapp.com
im ordering a couple for my two bikes will fell a lot safer leaving them anywhere
Wasting your money. They use Bluetooth and have a range of up to 30m. They are great for where did I leave my keys or my wallet as they will give the location they were last connected to the phones Bluetooth or you can st it up to alert you as soon as they go out of range. So unless you are going to stay with in 30m of your bike at all times then all you will know is the last location you left it.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
An old bucket, a length of strong thick chain (put an old tube over the chain, so not to scratch) and a bag of cement. And a good Padlock $20 plus.

Thieves are lazy they will go next door.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My bikes live inside my house and come in to the office with me.

I'm fortunate that I can remove the opportunity for theft.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wasting your money. They use Bluetooth and have a range of up to 30m. They are great for where did I leave my keys or my wallet as they will give the location they were last connected to the phones Bluetooth or you can st it up to alert you as soon as they go out of range. So unless you are going to stay with in 30m of your bike at all times then all you will know is the last location you left it.
You clearly don't understand the technology.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
You clearly don't understand the technology.
How so?

Unless you're willing to do a 30m grid search of the entire continent, your neighbours stole it, or someone randomly stumbles across it, and let's you know, you'll get bubkis....

Of course if you left the bike under a couch cushion, PAY DIRT!

How so?

Unless you're willing to do a 30m grid search of the entire continent, your neighbours stole it, or someone randomly stumbles across it, and let's you know, you'll get bubkis....

Of course if you left the bike under a couch cushion, PAY DIRT!
If you watch the video on the website its shows that if anyone else who has a tile walks within 30m of your item you will be notified and sent a map location.

Watch vids aswell dont just look at specs.

Minlak

custom titis
If you watch the video on the website its shows that if anyone else who has a tile walks within 30m of your item you will be notified and sent a map location.

My bad I didn't realise that. Clearly that's awesome as I am sure it's only a matter of days until everyone in Australia has one. It's my job to understand the "technology" it's what I do. I stand by my original statement you are wasting your money.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

If it's in another state you're going to have to try and get the cops to do something about it.

Best of luck with that.

If it's in another state you're going to have to try and get the cops to do something about it.

Best of luck with that.
Would hope a theif wouldn't come from or go to a different state to steal my bike. Tbh anything that gives me more of a chance of getting my bike back if it's stolen I'm in for. I'm only 14 and have no job so It takes a lot of chores to save up for a decent bike, would suck if I lost one.

Last edited:
My bad I didn't realise that. Clearly that's awesome as I am sure it's only a matter of days until everyone in Australia has one. It's my job to understand the "technology" it's what I do. I stand by my original statement you are wasting your money.
$20 for a better chance of getting a stolen bike back (which can cost thousands). I see no harm involved

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Would hope a theif wouldn't come from or go to a different state to steal my bike. Tbh anything that gives me more of a chance of getting my bike back if it's stolen I'm in for. I'm only 14 and have no job so It takes a lot of chaws to save up for a decent bike, would suck if I lost one.
Yeah, I mean I'm not knocking the idea or anything but it does have some serious limitations. It's only workable if lots of people have that app, or the thief takes the bike near to where people with that app gather and once you locate it you have the ability to act on the information. Don't place too much fait in the police on that score. Bike also often travel a decent distance from where they were flogged.

Best security is to have the bikes live in the house (if parents tolerate that) and never leave it anywhere.

. Bike also often travel a decent distance from where they were flogged.

Best security is to have the bikes live in the house (if parents tolerate that) and never leave it anywhere.
True that! Had a mtb of mine stolen (was locked up for all of 15min while I did a quick shop & grabbed a TA coffee) in Melbourne which then popped up & was recovered 12mths later, thanks to some eagle-eyed fellow mtbers, out the front of a supermarket in Merimbula from a dude who clearly had an itchy habit. Apparently when approached & the riders called him on it being stolen the guy simply legged it & wanted no part of police dropping past to question him about the bike. Whoever pinched it rattle-canned the frame blue & had it not been for the bike community, the unique BB gussets & the fact that I'd engraved my initials & 6-digit date of birth on the inside of one of the chainstays then there wouldn't have been any hope of it realistically being recovered. Getting bikes back once they've been stolen is like finding 4-leaf clover- almost never.

Another good thing to do is to see if your folks' home+contents insurance can have your bike added to the policy, just in the off chance that if it is stolen then you might at least be able to get a relatively swift replacement. Subject to terms & conditions, many companies will cover your nationwide provided you can prove the bike was locked up when the theft occurred. In my case I had the money back in my hand within the fortnight.

Yeah, I mean I'm not knocking the idea or anything but it does have some serious limitations. It's only workable if lots of people have that app, or the thief takes the bike near to where people with that app gather and once you locate it you have the ability to act on the information. Don't place too much fait in the police on that score. Bike also often travel a decent distance from where they were flogged.

My bikes do live in the house except there's a floor to ceiling window/door to show them off to anyone dodgy guy lurking around my house. This is the only spot I can keep them as everywhere else is either covered in carpet (mum would kill me) or filled with other stuff.

Also liking mtboer's idea with the bucket of concreate and chain

Last edited: