Peanut butter without the Jelly

nicho

Sacré bleu!
well, after a hiatus of over a decade on this forum since perhaps my last PYR here we are.
It seems there's a tribe of "Xillenials" who like me have given the middle finger to Meta owned companies and returned to the tight knit community for validation and spirited discourse.

I racked up MTB after the birth of the little one to solely focus on road riding as it's something i enjoy and is extremely convenient while joining a social element to it. Anyway fast forward 2 years and Covid hit so i pulled the trigger on a top spec second Norco Optic in 2020 and absolutely loved it (never thought i'd say that). It was an incredibly capable bike, lightweight and most of all a great geo.
Fast forward 2 years on and I went overboard and jumped on this YT Jeffsy Uncaged 8 on the proviso i could make up 2/3 of its value by selling some spare bikes. I did and here it is.

What i liked about this proposition was the unique combination of parts, Cane Creek fork and shock and wireless. I've been a shimano guy for ever but i felt like trying something new and give this GX AXS stuff a go. So far i'm quite happy with it. The wireless dropper is impressive too. I absolutely love the clutter free cockpit over anything else.
The other interesting thing I noticed when researching this brand / bike is that people had a tendency to size up, so based on that i bought an XL frame with a reach of 480mm. At 1m83 I was just on the cusp of an L and XL, however after a few rides i have found that i absolutely made the right decision and given it was only 5mm longer in reach than the Large Optic, it wasn't a huge leap. The bike is obviously very stable but not to the point where i can't throw it around the place.

Anyway here it is. Jeffsy Uncaged 8

Frame - YT Jeffsy Uncaged 8
Rear shock - Cane Creek Kitsuma air
Front shock/fork - Cane Creek Helm MK2 air
Handlebars - Renthal alloy
Stem - Renthal
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - ODI
Saddle - SDG Belair
Seatpost - Reverb AXS
Front brake - Shimano XTR
Rear brake - Shimano XTR
Cranks - Sram GX alloy
Chainguide - E13
Chain - GX
Pedals - Deity old school originals
Front derailleur - Just don't
Rear derailleur - Sram GX AXS
Front shifter - see above
Rear shifter - Sram GX AXS
Cassette - GX
Front hub - I9
Rear hub - I9
Front rim - Crank Brothers Synthesis
Rear rim - Crank Brothers Synthesis
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF & DHR
Tubes - N/A
Total weight - bulk fun

I did switch the Sram G2 RSC brakes for my XTRs off the Optic as they received mixed reviews and i've grown quite fond of the XTRs. I'm also very comfortable bleeding them to achieve the right lever feel.

If you're bored, watch me crash & send it Here

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wicked looking bike with a supremely strong spec. Not a thing to upgrade or switch out.

How're you liking the wheels, and are they the aluminium or carbon version?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't know, I'm pretty jelly! :p

Very aesthetically pleasing bike, bet it rides a dream.

Did you remove decals from the fork?

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Cheers Lads. It's been a very pleasant discovery of a new brand with new suspension and drive train. All in all I'm very pleased, and obviously biased, with the bike. I haven't found its limits yet and likely won't until i head to Thredbo or Maydena perhaps.

@The Reverend the wheels are alloy, i've never ridden carbon hoops nor do i feel compelled to do so. Can't compare them to anything else other than previous wheelset i've had. Interestingly they have front and back attributes with the front wheel having fewer spokes and slightly narrower width than the rear for compliance/grip up front and stiffness out back. Make sense to my simple mind anyway.

@johnny the Helm air comes stock with black decals, a very basic application and finish but the upshot is you can buy custom colours from cane creek should i get sick of BoB.

@frenchman ouais salut mec. I'm still in Sydney's lower north so Garigal, oxford falls etc. are the usual stomping grounds, you?