$pecialized Enduro 6fattie

mitchy_

Llama calmer
How'd the wheel building go mitchy?
Much easier than expected. By the time I had the first side of a wheel done, it was easy.

BB height with that setup Mitchy_?
I'll let you know when I get the wheels back from the LBS. fitted tyres with tubes to make sure they actually fit in the frame on relatively wide rims, then off for final tension and truing.

What Lacing pattern did you use? Is it just me or do they look odd? like there's not as much crossing on the pattern?
3x lacing all round.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i did a bit of research on tyre height.

average 29x2.3" tyre is around 740-745mm OD

average 27.5x2.8 seems about 710-715, and 3.0 is around 725-730.

if i use the average of each, and account for a 2.8 rear and 3.0 front, i should drop about 10-15mm.
stock BB height is 351mm (on the high side), so i'm down somewhere between 336 and 341mm.

stumpy 6fattie is 331, few complaints of it being too low. stumpy 29 is 336, and the one i demo'd felt perfect.. so i should be sweet!

Z

Zaf

When do you get to ride it?
Don't forget that the high volume tyre sags as well, not just the suspension, so you will drop further than your static figures imply.

Also make sure you never slip a foot on a drop or anything whilst the 6fatties are mounted. Pic related.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
When do you get to ride it?
Don't forget that the high volume tyre sags as well, not just the suspension, so you will drop further than your static figures imply.

Also make sure you never slip a foot on a drop or anything whilst the 6fatties are mounted. Pic related.

Whenever the shitty weather clears, will have the wheels back in the next day or so.

That's hardly 6fattie-converted-Enduro specific though... Any plus bike with a similar BB height (ie. Most of them) or even most FS bikes in general are in the same boat.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
wheels are back, apparently i did a decent job at building them (so yes, they are laced correctly!)

i measured BB height with both the 29" and 27.5" wheelsets. took a measurement on either side of the crank to insure it was level.

29" ~362mm

27.5" ~353mm

the numbers are interesting as the bike is marketed as 351mm... whether the maxxis tyres (especially the 2.5 DHF) bump this up, or it's just a measuring discrepancy i'm not sure.
this puts it at about a 10mm drop from 29x2.3/2.5 to 27.5x2.8/3.0 and i'd dare say if you wanted to go from a typical 29x2.3 both ends to 27.5x2.8 both ends you'd be at around the same 10mm drop mark.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Put 35km and about 550m vertical onto the new wheels.

Need to find a good track that has a little bit of everything and do back to back tests to compare, but these are my initial thoughts.

Climbing - overall I think it's a touch slower.
They seem to have better traction, especially on super loose stuff but they seem draggier. They don't suffer from 'falling' off rocks was what I noticed first, you can roll over loose rock and it holds a line much better than a 2.3 tyre which can roll off to the side.

Flat/trail riding - here I didn't notice much difference. A bee's dick less rollover than the 29" wheels, but then the extra traction over logs, rocks, etc. makes up for it. I find they take a little more effort to turn in, but as soon as you lean it over its grip city.
Both my 29 and 27.5 plus wheelsets come in within 50 grams of each other too, this would partially explain the little difference I experienced riding over flat/straight line.

Decending - Phwoah... i felt like I was flying. The ability to carry more speed through corners is fantastic. Whether there is that much more grip available, I'm not sure... But it gave me so much more mid corner confidence.
I had my tyres pumped up on the firmer side for plus tyres (20psi rear, 18psi front) so as not to introduce too much squishiness and allow the 160mm of travel I have on tap to do its job. I think this was about on the money, I could potentially go a bit higher in the rear, front seemed spot on.

Overall it's a faster package for me. I knocked off about 15 PR's (a few full segments, and lots of mini segments)

I'll still hang onto my 29" wheels, and probably chuck my light specialized tyres on them for when I want to knock up the kilometres and trail ride... But for an all out assault these things are brutal.

Z

Zaf

Jesus, those tyre pressures are what I run on my Stumpy with DHF/DHR's!
What sort of suspension settings are you running along with it? Have you felt the need to adjust spring pressure or compression to maximise what the suspension no longer has to do due to the cushioning from the tyres?

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

mitchy_

Llama calmer
It's not going to be a massive change... The tyres are only half an inch wider.

That's also why I said I'm running them firmer.
I've not touched suspension setup yet, I'll get to know the tyres a bit better first before I go changing too many things. Even the tyre compound and tread is new to me.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Looks great. must sound impressive too. enjoy :thumb:
It does give off a bit more sound! On bitumen it's more pronounced, but on the trail it's usually drowned out by general trail noise.

The specialized tyres I test rode sounded like a bulldog eating porridge... These are much tamer by comparison.

Hi mitchy

Did you ever try your 650b link with either the monarch or your new 27+ setup?

I just ordered a link for my 2014 29er comp. I am running a fox x2 on it, looking to get a slacker head angle but concerned the bb will be too low as you found with your original setup. Was interested to know if the monarch plus made a difference compared to the DPS

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Hi mitchy

Did you ever try your 650b link with either the monarch or your new 27+ setup?

I just ordered a link for my 2014 29er comp. I am running a fox x2 on it, looking to get a slacker head angle but concerned the bb will be too low as you found with your original setup. Was interested to know if the monarch plus made a difference compared to the DPS
only just saw this...

yep, i tried it with the monarch, but not with the plus wheels.
it's much better with the monarch (or any shock that has mid stroke support), however the bike seemed more balanced to me with the original 29" link. if it was doing shuttle days or similar i'd swap it out though.
i haven't tried it with the plus wheels yet, didn't want to change too much at once. once i've had some more seat time on the new wheels i'll try it again, but i imagine the same thing will happen.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
fat minions look right at home on this... :love:

touch more clearance than the schwobble nobless nics, and less flex overall means they will no longer rub under big loads (i was having the rear nobby nic touch the protective tape maybe once or twice a ride, however the minions dont rub on the Honzo and that is a few millimetres narrower again)
i can also run a mud guard again which is great. big tyres throw up a LOT of crap, not to mention my fork seals copped a lot of dirt too.

6mm happens to be the clearance that fox recommend on their forks, so i'm happy with 6mm on the rear as well.