Pedal Cavalier?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Hey my dad turns 70 soon and has been getting on the riding bandwagon. He's currently riding a cheap and old Malvin Star road bike that needs some money thrown at it. Thought about buying him a more modern bike for his birthday. Had a look in 99 Bikes last week and saw the weirdly named Pedal Cavalier 2 HD for like $550 with hydraulic brakes. The brand name stuff for the same gears and brakes are like $300 more.
Anyone got one or ridden one? I know they are just making a basic alloy frame so it would require some effort to mess it up.
Just cannot find much info on them. The salesguy said they have a lifetime warranty and are the best value by a mile but for that price are they skimping on the bearings, chain ect? Or for just exercise, transport and gravel bike paths are they good?

Wish they thought of a cooler name..

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I just had a look at the Cavalier 2, looks fine I guess, all bikes under a grand have random hubs and headsets, so its always a roll of the dice how long they last.
It has integrated shifter/brakes with hydraulics for 3x7 gears, I've never seen that before. Wouldn't be my first choice, but could be fine if you never plan to upgrade the gears

Last edited:

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I just had a look at the Cavalier 2, looks fine I guess, all bikes under a grand have random hubs and headsets, so its always a roll of the dice how long they last.
It has integrated shifter/brakes with hydraulics for 3x7 gears, I've never seen that before. Wouldn't be my first choice, but could be fine if you never plan to upgrade the gears
Thanks for that, also a bit weird how it says its a 3x7 speed, yet on the pic it say 3x 8, and the description says the rear derailleur is a Tourney but it clearly says Altus in the pics (all low end stuff but I thought Altus was better?).

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those low end derailleurs are horrible from my experience, you're either going to spend the money in the start or at the end. If you shop around and wait, you might pick something up secondhand that is a few years old and going to have better components.

Last edited: