Pedal spanner woes....

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So after about 12 uses, my shiny pedal spanner snapped yesterday while changing a set of pedals.

It was a Super B TB-PD 10 as per here: http://www.gkasports.com.au/pedalspanners.htm

Anyway, it only cost about 35-40 bucks, but still should not have snapped the way it did.

I hit up the importer, and will take it back to the bike shop in Melbourne that I got it from tomorrow.

Anyone got any other recommendations for a good value pedal spanner?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I have snapped one of those as well. Got another one for nothing, been going strong for a couple of years.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the suggestions....
I think ill add either the Park or Pedros tool to my Xmas wish list.
Bike shop came good yesterday and replaced the broken tool, no questions asked (Cheers guys at Fitzroy Revolution Mel)

Should be good till then at least....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If only pedals were made so you could just use a simple open end 15mm spanner instead of the flimsy shit boxes you are forced to buy. I have never had a good pedal spanner that hasn't buckled under the force necessary to undo a pedal so I too will be checking those links.

wotsis

Likes Dirt
Not trying to be a smartarse here, but why do people outside of shops use pedal spanners? Everyone I know uses hex keys. As long as the threads are greased and the pedals were not cranked down like crazy to start with, I've found that even short hex keys on multitools is enough to get a pedal off.

Only times I've ever used a wrench have been with older bikes where the threads have seized over the course of years.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not trying to be a smartarse here, but why do people outside of shops use pedal spanners? Everyone I know uses hex keys. As long as the threads are greased and the pedals were not cranked down like crazy to start with, I've found that even short hex keys on multitools is enough to get a pedal off.

Only times I've ever used a wrench have been with older bikes where the threads have seized over the course of years.
Not all pedals have a hex key capability. Even many well known and new/modern brands and models. I have 9 Bikes with pedals. Only 2 of those bikes could I use a hex hey.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Not all pedals have a hex key capability. Even many well known and new/modern brands and models. I have 9 Bikes with pedals. Only 2 of those bikes could I use a hex hey.
This.

Straitline for one has no hex key-ability. And hex keys just make life harder on bikes with slightly seized pedals.

wotsis

Likes Dirt
Thanks. I thought that might be a factor, but had assumed that the majority of pedals would have hex holes in addition to the standard wrenching surfaces (in the clipless world this seems to be the case). Can't really imagine why a manufacturer wouldn't include the holes extra functionality for no cost or weight.

floody

Wheel size expert
Park or Pedros.

Either will still be around long after you've used it as a makeshift weapon in the zombie apocalypse.

Our Park one at work is well over a decade old and the flats are as tight as the day it was made. A more 'fit for purpose' item is rare.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
If only pedals were made so you could just use a simple open end 15mm spanner instead of the flimsy shit boxes you are forced to buy. I have never had a good pedal spanner that hasn't buckled under the force necessary to undo a pedal so I too will be checking those links.
I have a 15mm ring spanner that works fine with the pedals on my track bike. I guess I got lucky with that one.

But you can't go wrong with either Pedros or Parktools. I recently had the pleasure of servicing my bike with my buddy's Pedros complete tool kit. Damn nice. I wish I could justify spending $900 on a set of tools. Sadly I cannot.

When I started out doing my own maintenance I bought some cheap Icetools and SuperB tools. I won't be making that mistake again. I'm always weary of the "you get what you pay for" call but with workshop tools it pays to buy quality, which sadly doesn't tend to come cheap.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can not agree with Dozer more. Don't waste you time with a pedal spanner. just get a 15mm spanner. I have a repco 15mm spanner and its got the length and strength that I can hang off it. cost me under $10 and has a lifetime warranty. Why would you waste your time with a tool that is more expensive and dose not work aswell?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can not agree with Dozer more. Don't waste you time with a pedal spanner. just get a 15mm spanner. I have a repco 15mm spanner and its got the length and strength that I can hang off it. cost me under $10 and has a lifetime warranty. Why would you waste your time with a tool that is more expensive and dose not work aswell?
I have SEVERAL "LONG" 15mm ring/open spanners.....

Sadly, NONE of them will fit between the crank and pedal to fit on the 15mm shaft... Just my choice of pedals I suppose....