Pedals in carry on baggage?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm heading to Europe next month and have planned a week in Finale Ligure for some riding. Due to a litany of factors I won't go into, I am unable to take my bike, so will be hiring one. As I'm not taking my bike, I thought I may as well travel light and have no checked in baggage. This is fine for my riding gear, but I was also wanting to take my beloved HT X1 pedals so I could at least kid myself that something will feel at home on the hire bike.

Has anyone flown with pedals in carry on before? What are the chances of them being confiscated? I've never heard of pedals being used to hijack an aircraft, but you can never predict the levels of paranoia in airports these days.

I might also take my grips, or is that being too OCD?

Tools will obviously be out of the question, hopefully the bike shop can lend me some.

Z

Zaf

I'm heading to Europe next month and have planned a week in Finale Ligure for some riding. Due to a litany of factors I won't go into, I am unable to take my bike, so will be hiring one. As I'm not taking my bike, I thought I may as well travel light and have no checked in baggage. This is fine for my riding gear, but I was also wanting to take my beloved HT X1 pedals so I could at least kid myself that something will feel at home on the hire bike.

Has anyone flown with pedals in carry on before? What are the chances of them being confiscated? I've never heard of pedals being used to hijack an aircraft, but you can never predict the levels of paranoia in airports these days.

I might also take my grips, or is that being too OCD?

Tools will obviously be out of the question, hopefully the bike shop can lend me some.
I was wondering if I could wear my cleated shoes with the cleat installed through international security without a fuss. But probably going to err on the side of caution with it.
It's probably something worth talking to the airline about, QANTAS were good with me taking C02 canisters in carry on, but they have a limit on how many can be there, and they have to be unperforated (no head installed) etc. They would appear to be, at face value, a bit more of a concern to have in carry on than a pedal. But common sense doesn't apply when it comes to airport security these days. I'm personally of the opinion, if you use a pair of pedals to take over an aircraft...you probably didn't need a pair of pedals to take over an aircraft.

Give the airline a call, and give the airports a call and explain your case, see what they say. Then ask them for something in writing, then wrap the pedals in said letter if they say it wont be an issue.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
the idiot, bored security people objected to me taking any pedals or a multitool this time to Europe I had to go back and send it separately so best to take it in your suitcase if no suitcase then bad luck.
Apparently they could be used as a weapon on board .
so Qatar airlines gave us sharp metal knives w our meals instead= much safer !!!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I was wondering if I could wear my cleated shoes with the cleat installed through international security without a fuss. But probably going to err on the side of caution with it.
It's probably something worth talking to the airline about, QANTAS were good with me taking C02 canisters in carry on, but they have a limit on how many can be there, and they have to be unperforated (no head installed) etc. They would appear to be, at face value, a bit more of a concern to have in carry on than a pedal. But common sense doesn't apply when it comes to airport security these days. I'm personally of the opinion, if you use a pair of pedals to take over an aircraft...you probably didn't need a pair of pedals to take over an aircraft.

Give the airline a call, and give the airports a call and explain your case, see what they say. Then ask them for something in writing, then wrap the pedals in said letter if they say it wont be an issue.
I've worn cleated shoes on the plane to NZ and Tassie several times and never had an issue. If I'm not wearing them on this trip they'll definitely be in my carry on.

I don't think it's worth calling the airlines as the decision is made by airport security, who tend to make up their own policy on the day, depending who you get and whether or not they're having a shit day.

It's probably not worth the risk with the pedals, seems like my girlfriend will be getting an extra little package put into her checked in baggage! As fortune would have it I was flying to Finale (from Denmark) before her with no checked in baggage, but she asked me if I would mind schlepping her baggage if she paid for it. Result.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't think it's worth calling the airlines as the decision is made by airport security, who tend to make up their own policy on the day, depending who you get and whether or not they're having a shit day.
Depending what flight route you take at some airports they require you to scan your items a few times as you go in and out of the terminal for connecting flights.

I wouldn't fuck around in Italy because their border control is as serious as shit. My Brother gave some lip to a passbook stamper for being a fuckwit and at the next airport we had the state and local police waiting for us to interrogate. As we left to come home, I went to enter the airport and there was a young lady backpacker in front of me that gets every inch of her body patted down in plain view of everyone.

teK--

Eats Squid
Might be easier to just check in a small backpack then consolidate all your stuff into one bag when you arrive.

Just to give an example. I took a cigarette lighter as carry on as the rules specifically state it must not be packed as checked in. It was confiscated as it was the wrong type of cigarette lighter and mine had to be checked in. The guy in front of me got his through... FFS.

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
I'm sorry this reply may be be a bit late.
I often have pedals in carry on both domestic and intl. (by bike in bag with a few larger items hits the 23kg limit).
No-one has ever questioned them. They are just pedals.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got given the third degree by dads army running the x-ray at a regional airport when I had some tools on me (allen keys...unopened in a plastic packet)...if in doubt put anything in check in.

Always take my pedals as carry on & have never had dramas. Almost had my Leyzene PortaShop tool kit confiscated last time I went to the US so I make sure it goes into my checked baggage these day. Took quite a lot of reasoning with the security guys to convince them that I wasn't going to attempt to bring the plane down piece by piece, screw by screw.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Pedals usually in the carry on to scrape by the weight limit but helmet always carry on... have you seen the way they treat checked baggage, if your helmet in it's bag took a big hit in checked baggage I doubt that you'd be able to tell until you needed to call on it's impact protection and suddenly found it had been compromised.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
cheers, I kinda figured and was almost going to ask this in the stupid questions thread...

But good to be reassured.

I'll put everything else in the checked luggage though :)

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I had to bin my multi tool when flying to Tassie cos they refused point blank to let me take it as carry on. Nothing airport security do makes any sense.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Kinda related: where do you guys put helmet? Carry on as seperate item?
Carry on for the full face. Occasionally resting on my head. I have also taken an XC lid in it's original box, taped away into a corner of the Qantas bike box and there was still room for about 4 more helmets on top of the bike, body armour, shoes, a couple of towels .. Those boxes are huge.

The full face gets carried like an oversized mango.
So, thrown into the bio-security bin? :p

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I had to bin my multi tool when flying to Tassie cos they refused point blank to let me take it as carry on. Nothing airport security do makes any sense.
I had to do the same once, Sydney > NZ, nothing I said would change their mind and the guy was being an absolute jerk about it just showing me the bin saying that was the only answer if I wanted on the flight. I walked off in a huff went outside and hid in a garden bed hoping it would still be there on my return 10 days later...It was.

binner

Hath shat hymself
let me tell you how its done.....
Bag includes the following (light padded bag not those EVOC fucking things that are already 10kgs*exaggeration*)
>bike duh
>spare inner cable
>knee pads wrapped around frame
>tubes (if you are janky)
>tri flow in zip lock bag
>handful amounts of different size cable ties
>brake fluid and bits for bleeding
>few rubbers (for mates of course)
> XC helmet
>riding shoes
>jerseys
>riding pants
>multi tool
>hip pack with Cliff bars
>staminade tub
>pedals off wrapped in bubble wrap
>derailleur off wrapped in bubble wrap taped to inside of stays
thats about 23kg right dere.....if we are talking alloy frame

Carry on
>rotors
>undies
>full face
>goggles
>worry beads
>gloves
>splash on

you get the idea.....
not relevant really to thread but meh :)