Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Fear of financial distress

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • I don't perform, do as little as possible

Votes: 17 16.7%

• Total voters

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having had some major life changes lately I have been considering my own motivations for work.

I am interested to know how many people are aware of their motivations at work.

Do you strive to perform in your occupation/business?

What factors motivate you to perform?
Money?
Lifestyle?
Passion for your role/industry?
Desire for recognition?
Desire for advancement?
Fear of getting disiplined/sacked?
Fear of financial difficulties?

I will set up a multi choice poll.

Sam.

Eats Squid
I voted for money, I cant really say I have a passion for the fast food industry, nor do I want to be recognized in it for flipping burgers at maccas:p

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I work for myself, so its for survival.

You get to calculate the money coming in that you are being paid for the work which is encouraging and then unfortunately you also see how much money goes to the taxman. You also work so you don't have to be bossed around by some ignorant manager.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
This is a funny one for me, I work as an Objects Conservator and I've specialized in the field of Large Technology Objects Conservation.

This basically makes me a University Bachelor of Applied Science graduate but still a "blue collar" worker (grease, power tools, manual labour etc).

Of course, the manual labour stuff is applied within the framework of a professional approach and mindset (ethics and evidence base justification of treatment options) but some folks looking in from the outside don't see any of that stuff so I'm not viewed much better than any regular mechanic / welder / vehicle restorer. (which blows)

The being devalued bit gets me down and results in a "go-slow" (or at least a "go at well under 100% and spend way too much of your work tike looking at Farkin") from time to time. That's the downside.

The upside is when someone can ask you what you've been doing and you can say that you've been working on one of the only two surviving Lancaster bombers that have been used in combat, the only surviving Messerschmidt Bf109 still in its original camouflage, one of the only two Albatros DVa fighters from WWI still in existence (and the better example out of those two) etc etc etc.

I mean, what can you say when you give a work talk to stakeholders after the opening of an exhibition and the 4 guys and the girl who fly the Roulettes for the RAAF tell you that:
"You've got an awesome job."
That's gotta be a "pinch me" moment doesn't it?

Some days, I go home with scun knuckles, blood blisters, clothes spattered with paint, grease under my nails and I've had a crap day exposed to way too many nasty solvents.

Other days, I can't believe that out of all the people in the world, I'm the one who gets to work with this stuff...

Why am I in this job? I bloody love it. Sure, it shits me up the wall some days but I wouldn't swap it for any other job that I know of.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
I was told many years ago by someone who I can't remember... "Find a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life" I think it rings pretty true.

That's where I'm at. Working in a job I love, but not actually working. So, 'passion for you role/industry' is for me.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
Whilst I go to work and "work" (well, when it's there :p)

But for me, it's not what motivates my to do my job, it's what stops me from leaving my current role.

1. I live 3km from work and ride a bike there in 7mins.
2. It's not hard work (physical yes, as I work in warehousing, but definately not hard, especially mentally)
3. Monday to Friday week - 8am to 5pm
4. The money is ok - especially for the effort not required to get it.
5. The place is almost impossible to get fired from.

The result of the above combined is that since changing jobs 15 months ago, I've saved 15hrs a week in travel, spent less money on fuel and maintenance, get to spend more time with my kids (2 boys under 3) the missus and of course more time to myself, I get weekends off (after 6yrs in retail this is GOLD) and my stress levels have plummetted.

I've had numerous urges to seek work elsewhere, mainly because my current role bores the shit out of me. (I've always worked in roles where there was never nothing to do.)

But when I look at those 4 points above, I just put the idea away for a while. :)

Before this job, It used to be passion and personal growth that got me going, whilst it still remains in small parts, this role just doesn't need it in buckets.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Working for the love of something is a sure fire way to not have much love for it after a few years.

Give me the damn money.

Michae1

Likes Dirt
:)
Working for the love of something is a sure fire way to not have much love for it after a few years.

Give me the damn money.
agreed, I used to be rather involved in car audio (actually it was an addiction for a while) I ended up getting a job in car audio sales, based purely on my passion for it, 6 months later I left for the role i'm in now and after having a car with approx 20k worth of gear in it, I don't even have a properly functioning system in my car.

Working in an industry I had a massive passion for ultimately killed the passion.

Hobbies don't make good jobs people (in most cases) if you go down that path and it works then all the power to you.

dhd

Downhill Direct
I work for NASA and I like my job. I'm not passionate about it. I just like it. I do shiftwork (4 days on then 4 off) and as soon as I walk out that door I don't think of it at all for the next 4 days. That's when I ride bikes and sell bike bits. I think work should be something you do to maintain the lifestyle you want.
My day job pays the bills.
Dhdirect keeps me in nice toys.
The family keeps my headache constant.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
What factors motivate you to perform?
Money?
Lifestyle?
Passion for your role/industry?
Desire for recognition?
Desire for advancement?
Fear of getting disiplined/sacked?
Fear of financial difficulties?
Changes all the time ... almost everyday ... and has definately changed with age.

As a young'un it was for recognition and advancement, which has been pretty much the same thing in my career so far. ie, the money was shit so I had to look upwards. Boooo !

In my late twenties ... money, recognition and advancement at the expense of Lifestyle. Booo ! Hissss !

Currently ... I'm a contractor ... so Money definately gets me in the door, even when I'm sick ... but I actually like my current role as it gives me time to do other things and get home (Lifestyle) ... whilst still learning new aspects of the "Business", for when the next dream job comes (Advancement). So I have my life back whilst earning more ... Yeeeehaaaaaa !!!!!

So fallboy ... whats the story behind this?

MasterOfReality

After forever
Money - Don't work for free. I happen to be in a profession that is in extremely high demand and coupled with a BE and PhD, I use that to my advantage.

Desire for recognition and advancement - Mining is a small field. Make a name for yourself and you can write your own pay cheque.

scblack

Leucocholic
I think work should be something you do to maintain the lifestyle you want.
My day job pays the bills.
Beat me to it. Work is there to pay the bills. I enjoy what I do enough, but it remains just a job.

If anyone is saying they REALLY enjoy their job and is not there for the money, let me ask this:

If you won a BIG lottery, would you be turning up tomorrow?

screw loose

Likes Dirt
Hmmmmmm. . I was in a job that paid me an absolute KILLING once in london. . and I thought;
'Fine I hate the job, but I can front up here every day for a year, then come back home and buy a house, surely I can do it for the money for a year. . surely. . '
A profound sense of displeasure prevented me from even surviving that job, there's no amount of money that can have me doing something I hate. .

Now it's a balance, I think of all the things listed in the poll. . I love the learning (advancement), I NEED the learning. . how can you come home day after day, not having learnt a thing and be happy about it?

Ok, maybe when I'm old and am just keeping myself busy, but now?

It's so invigorating to find the answers, to develop a better method, to respond with inventiveness(is that even a word?) and to come home knowing more than you did yesterday.

Yep some days (mostly on a friday) it's just about getting the money and spending it! Then some days. . (mostly on a monday) It could be more about 'I don't perform, I do as little as possible'. . and every day in between varies for me, but my first point definately gets the juices flowing. It gets me awake, and performing at a greater rate than anything else. To generate your own thoughts and ideas is the Apex of a good and fun way to work.

My 2 sense.

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Beat me to it. Work is there to pay the bills. I enjoy what I do enough, but it remains just a job.

If anyone is saying they REALLY enjoy their job and is not there for the money, let me ask this:

If you won a BIG lottery, would you be turning up tomorrow?

Only to hand in my resignation...

I would take a job with less hours, that paid well enough to pay my week to week expenses. No need to be working to get ahead.

I would use the spare time to go back to studying something I can use for a better (or higher ethical) purpose than my current qualifications. then I would with passion, flair and reckless abandon, launch myself back into work.

I wouldn't stop working.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I actually like my job. My main motivation is that bludging is more boring than actually working.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Working in a field that you love, does kill the fun after a while, especially after you get burnt by so many. I use to love working with computers and the knowledge and skills were growing so rapidly at one stage, now...I just don't give a shit.
I am surrounded by too many managers that lie to your face, promote people that don't deserve it, pass on blame when it is their fault.......I could go on!

I don't care anymore. I am only interested in riding bikes, what's new on Farkin and getting home at 5. If it wasn't for the perks of this job, I would have left it years ago.
5 minutes from home, great super, wife works here aswell.

Maybe I just need a holiday! **Bring on Canada**:D

P.S. I am currently sitting here watching Seasons for the 11th time! hahahahaha Yeah Stevie Smith!

Last edited: