Phillip Island trails

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
I’m heading down to Phillip Island over the weekend and the wife suggested I bring my bike along and try and get an XC ride in if the chance arises (God bless her)

I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth but I’ve never ridden down that way before. Is anyone familiar with the area? Are there any worth while trails on or around Phillip Island?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

tre0001

Likes Dirt
i believe there is, however last time i went down there i just went into the 4WD track that was kinda fun.

beardi

Likes Dirt
There are some trails at Cape Woolamai, nothing amazing but some really nice views and a pretty long sandy descent back to the surf beach......however i dont know how legal they are.....
The gurdies also has some trails that are better than PI but again they are not real legal. They are around a quarry in the area
Of course this is all rumour and i've never actually ridden them myself (wink wink) :)

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
to add to that the woolamai tracks are easier to get to on low tide if you go from the inlet side. PM me if you want more details. As Beardi said its nothing too difficult but has amazing views. There is an ok bike shop in Cowes, that has just moved to the main street, they might be able to help out as well.

And you forgot the famous Inverloch downhill track beardy....

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
I occassionaly ride from the park on Harbison Road, just at the back of the Koala reserve on the main road, to Rhyll then back. This is a nice 20km ride which includes firetrail, boardwalks around the conservation hill area, a bit of singletrack with two or three quite moderate climbs. If you ride towards dusk you'll see a heap of wildlife.

Another suggestion is ride to Rhyll meet the wife there for breakfast or lunch then ride back. The place on the corner does a great breakfast whilst the Foreshore restaurant is great for lunch or dinner.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Being a local I will give you the lowdown.

First of all, Phillip Island has a few tracks, you just gotta know where to find them. The best out of the few that are around in my opinion is the Cape Woolamai loop. Head all the way to the main surf beach where the lifesaving club rooms are, hit the beach, and head left along the coast for 1km until a set of stairs. Once at the top, the rest is self explanitory. Good fun, and I would be temped to say it will be one of the best views you will find in Australia from a trail, at least Victoria (not including the Alpine regions!)

Ride On Bikes in Cowes are a great shop. They may not cater specifically for MTB riders due to low MTB population but Ash, the owner and mechanic is a good bloke and knows his stuff.
Another option, although a further 20 minutes down the coast is Crossover Cycles in Wonthaggi. If you are down here for a few days there are some fun single track loops starting near the old State Coal Mine in Wonthaggi. Just head into Crossover and ask for directions.

For a nice fun ride with consideration of your other half, try mcoccia's idea.

The Gurdies, just before Grantville has plenty of trails to suit you XC riders out there, and a quite a few fun descents, you just have to push, no shuttles.

And s.dogg, if by the 'famous Inverloch DH track' you mean the walking track to the top of the cliffs starting at the end caravan park, stay off it. It is clearly signposted and fences and gated to restrict bikes from being on it. If this isn't the spot you are talking about, I think your high. There is barely a respectable hill in Invy let alone enough for a DH track.

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,

i really appreciate all the recommendations, the breakfast & lunch ideas with the better half will certainly increase the brownie points tally.:)

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
Hey Lube.
I think i went riding with you at hazelwood nth with Bren last year.
definetly wasnt talking about that walking track in Invy. I agree you shouldnt ride that track, it is right next to a retirement village and caravan park, so very possible that you could crash into someone.
I was talking about a 10 metre section near the surf beach me and beardy used to call invy DH.

Do you know if you are allowed to ride the track from kilcunda to near san remo? dont remember seeing any no bikes signs there.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Hey Lube.
I think i went riding with you at hazelwood nth with Bren last year.
definetly wasnt talking about that walking track in Invy. I agree you shouldnt ride that track, it is right next to a retirement village and caravan park, so very possible that you could crash into someone.
I was talking about a 10 metre section near the surf beach me and beardy used to call invy DH.

Do you know if you are allowed to ride the track from kilcunda to near san remo? dont remember seeing any no bikes signs there.
Yeah that rings a bell! Went out there a few weeks ago and did some shuttles around that area.
That section from Kilcunda to Punchbowl beach (San Remo) is indeed open for bikes. Appart from the 1km sandy hike a bike section along the beach in the middle, it is a super rad ride!

Pie MTB

Squid
Lube:
Are you sure bikes are allowed on the George Bass coastal walk? I was down there a couple of weeks ago checking out places to ride the MTB. and saw the sign at the Punchbowl Beach end. I though it said no bikes on the trail.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
Had holiday there last summer. Took xc bike not road since I remembered the island being small, and the roads pretty narrow with a lot of traffic! The bike shop told me about the Woolamai loop, but didn't like the idea of what the beach sand might do to the bike. We stayed at Silverleaves (near Cowes) and I ended up doing loops around the Koala reserve (one big lap, maybe a couple of smaller ones) which is bike path mixed with mown access roads (so slashed down grass pretty much). Join that to the bike path to Rhyll, and I could usually get a 90 minute ride out of it all. Though you do tend to feel like a hamster on a wheel since you go around and around the same stuff....

The only good thing was it being summer and the only snakes there are copperheads! It was a ride, got some k's in the legs, probably do the same this summer, but they are not xc trails (though by what has been said above might have to give Woolamai a whirl).

Lube

Likes Dirt
Lube:
Are you sure bikes are allowed on the George Bass coastal walk? I was down there a couple of weeks ago checking out places to ride the MTB. and saw the sign at the Punchbowl Beach end. I though it said no bikes on the trail.
Yeah I know a few of the Parks guys down here and they say its alright. I have also led tours and school groups along it in the past, off the top of my head the sign at the Punchbowl carpark is No Dogs, No Camping, and No Motos.

And vogmae, the Cape is definitely worth doing. You can just hike a bike the beach section or ride it, whatever you prefer.

Pie MTB

Squid
Thanks for the info Lube, I am heading to San Remo this weekend, will have a crack at the trail.

Another option for people who want to do some riding down that way is the Rail trail to Wongthaggi, not exactly single trail, but off road none the less. Starts at the round about in Anderson and goes all the way to Wonthaggi, not sure about the exact distance, but would say about 30Km one way.

beardi

Likes Dirt
Also try Wonthaggi - there are heaps of trails around the hospital and out towards the wind farm. Heath at Crossover should be able to give you some more info. Most of the trails are singletrack and are as good as anything else in the area (except the views).

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some trails at Cape Woolamai, nothing amazing but some really nice views and a pretty long sandy descent back to the surf beach......however i dont know how legal they are.....
The gurdies also has some trails that are better than PI but again they are not real legal. They are around a quarry in the area
Of course this is all rumour and i've never actually ridden them myself (wink wink) :)
Yeah what he said. I have met some of the blokes that did/do alot of the work on the Gurdies trails, well worth a look...... i hear.

Beardi, you sly dog.

Deviant_Devil

Likes Dirt
If you are looking for trails, you should contact Ash Scott at Ride On Bikes (in Cowes on Thompson Avenue), or email him at info@rideonbikes.com.au . They're a great bunch of blokes in there and they should help you out. In answer to the question, the only trail that i know of on Phillip Island is a fun but mellow trail out to Rhyll through the Oswin Roberts Reserve. Hope this Helps.