Phone upgrade. Vodafone - 19 Months in

Plow King

Little bit.
G'day guys.

Signed upto a 24 month contract with vodafone and am currently 19 months in. I really want to upgrade to a Note 2 as my phone is hammered. It barely works. I get about 2 hours from a full charge. the rotation function doesn't work. The speaker is knackered, the volume controls and munted and the screen is so waterlogged it looks like a zebra.

Now I've contacted vodafone and they said I can upgrade it after 21 months. So which means I have to put up with this phone for another 2 months which is irritating as I can't really make calls because I can't hear anything. The only options I was given was to either pay out the contract. So 5 x $50.. not to keen on pissing away $250 for no reason. Or pay for handset repayments. Which is something stupid like $28 a month EXTRA for 24 months.

Now I know alot of people have managed to upgrade their phones after as little as 16 months just by calling up. Is there anything I can say when I call up next? Is it at the call centre managers discretion whether to upgrade a phone or is it set in stone in the contract? Should I call up and threaten to switch carriers or just go pre paid with another company?

Any help would be great.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remember that awful reception you have with vodafone in your local area?

Have you considered ditching the big carriers and going with someone like TPG with a byo phone?

Capone

Likes Dirt
Remember that awful reception you have with vodafone in your local area?

Have you considered ditching the big carriers and going with someone like TPG with a byo phone?
The little carriers use the big telcos towers so it's same old

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
how long have you put up with your crappy phone in its current state ?? say 3 months ... you only have to put up with it for another 2 months and everything is free ...

Some potential things to say

Hi ... I'm nearing the end of my contract and Telstra (or insert other telco) has been calling my Mom telling her about all the great deals they have like free upgrade of telephones after 16months etc. I was wondering if Vodaphone offered something similar as I like the service and would prefer not to transfer ... and Mom keeps nagging me ... can you help me as Mom is starting to talk me over.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont pay the exit fee obviously. Ask around for an old phone to borrow or even buy a $50 prepaid phone and use it until you can upgrade.

I usually get into this situation at around 16-19months due to a shagged phone... Stupidly I pay the fee.. Not anymore! Best you can get (from my experience) is abit of it taken off and the rest added to your new bill over 6months.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The little carriers use the big telcos towers so it's same old
Vodafone have their own network whilst smaller carriers typically use Optus networks but at alot better value.. For example, Ive just a finished a $30/month plan for $200 included value, and now im getting that for $10/month at TPG without a lock-in contract

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go out and buy yourself an 'unlocked' phone (one you can use on any network) and when the plan ends, you can go to something with a BYO phone. (i suggest TPG, cheap, much better reception than Vodafone. My brother and i are always comparing)
Then you can have the phone you want on a plan you want

Plow King

Little bit.
Hmm thanks for the replys. Guys.

The TPG pre paid idea does sound very good but I'm not all too keen on forking out $600+ for a phone and then having to pay $20-30 ontop of that. a month.

I might just call up and threaten or spout some shit and see what they say.

Plow King

Little bit.
Why not just buy a shitty unlocked brick and live with that for a couple of months?
That looks like the plan unless vodafone want to stop being pricks. It's not like they're losing out they're going to rape me for another 24 months # $50 a month.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i went from a $65 contractto $35 sim only with vodaphone, the cheap plan with mich higher inclusions. got a note from kogan for under $500 (note 1, no idea what 2 costs). so its cheaper than the plan i wpuld have had to take to get the phone on contract, plus im free to move carriers or to a better plan as they become available. Might be worth seeing what you can do to stick the contract out, even if it means buying the newer phone on top of contract fees for the remaining months

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Water damage /= warranty.

Warranty is only 12 months anyway.
Really?

That sux, I just took out a contract today the first one since 2004. Don't ask me why I caved in, guess the deal seemed right. In the fine print of the contract it said the handset was covered under warranty for the life of the contract, 24 months?

Is it usually just a manufactures warranty say 12 months or have I been fooled again after all these years of pre paid.

Phone is a Samsung Gallaxy S3 I best check the warranty so I know my cut off date to take it for a swim, if need be ;)

wombat

Lives in a hole
In the fine print of the contract it said the handset was covered under warranty for the life of the contract, 24 months?
Yeap, pretty sure the regulatory bodies forced this on telcos last sometime late in 2011/early 2012. Don't think it was retroactive though, so you might miss out Plow.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Manufacturer warranty would be 12 months......anything beyond that the telco would cover by sending to a 3rd party service centre.

As I said though, water damage is not covered and there are indicators that display if the phone has been submerged.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Water damage /= warranty.

Warranty is only 12 months anyway.
It was my underatanding that the accc (i think) changed it so that as long as your phone is under contract it is under warranty, it came off the back of a court case against apple

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
This is why I pay insurance directly as a part of my plan + having an iphone, if it ever plays up I just take it to a store and they give me a new one.

FYI am with Vodafone. And am counting down the months till its renewal time and then I can leave them behind!!!