Pike DPA: change from 150-160mm

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Hi team,

I’m looking to upgrade my fork in the near future. I currently ride a 150mm RCT3 Pike DPA, and have no complaints, though am thinking of going to 160mm with the new fork.

There’s no real reason I need 160mm of travel, though like the idea of having it there in case I need it. There are a few reasons I’m thinking of a new fork;
1. my lockout has recently stopped working. I can send it off to NS dynamics for a service/rebuild (~$300 I believe, which is cheaper than a new fork but not as fun)
2. I can try to service the charger damper/lockout myself. While fun and exciting, could result in tears and no usable fork until I send it off for servicing/rebuild.
3. I’m still thinking of building a full suspension bike and could keep the DPA on the hard tail.
4. Maybe I just want a new fork...;)

While spending money on a new fork sounds fun, I was told of a simple and cheap “try before I buy” option, of changing the internals of my current fork to 160, with a new air shaft, cost ~ $60. This sounds like a simple idea though from what I’ve found online it only seems to be for Solo air Pikes...

Does anyone know what you’d need to extend a 2014/15 (?) DPA Pike from 150 to 160mm?

Cheers,

Mike.

P.S. another option I’ve seen is the new Charger 2 damper for ~$350, with new airshaft of ~$60, adding up to roughly half a new Pike. If that would work! decisions, decisions...

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh c'mon, one says "Solo Air" for fixed travel on the lowers, and the other says "Dual Position Air" and that's how RS differentiate them......

Just make sure you get the 27.5mm 160mm DPA shaft and it'll work..

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Haha, thanks guys. I'm slowly getting to where I need to be. From what I can see, and after a response from an online shop, it looks like the following part number is all I need:

27.5 Inch 160mm / 29 Inch 140mm air shaft 11.4018.026.001

I may email Sram to confirm and if it's all good, sounds like that'll be the go...

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
NS dynamics replied with the news I’d been hoping for; it only requires an air shaft to change to 160mm... Huzzah!

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I changed my 26" RCT3 DPA from 160mm to 150mm. In the end I picked up the air shaft off ebay, and the seal kit from Cyclinic (I replaced all the seals on the way through). Pretty straight forward process following the manual if you've got the right tools.

I'm assuming you're on a 27.5" fork by the sounds of some of the replies, but if you happen to be on a 26", I've got a spare 160mm air shaft lying around.

Edit: The parts I have spare (thanks to an ordering cock-up on my part) are
with 11.4018.026.008 installed

Last edited:

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I changed my 26" RCT3 DPA from 160mm to 150mm. In the end I picked up the air shaft off ebay, and the seal kit from Cyclinic (I replaced all the seals on the way through). Pretty straight forward process following the manual if you've got the right tools.

I'm assuming you're on a 27.5" fork by the sounds of some of the replies, but if you happen to be on a 26", I've got a spare 160mm air shaft lying around.

Edit: The parts I have spare (thanks to an ordering cock-up on my part) are
with 11.4018.026.008 installed
Thanks for the offer, and info JJ. I’ve been able to source the exact DPA part I need and I’m thinking, after all this study/reading up, I may try to service the charger damper myself. Worst case, I blow it and have to send it off for the pros to fix...