Pike vs Mattoc

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, given the choice between a Mattoc pro with IRT or a Pike RC solo air with the original charger damper which would you go with?

The Pike is coming on a new bike and the Mattoc I own already (being run with 26" wheels). Both will be run at 140mm so I don't think any perceived difference in chassis stiffness will be apparent.

I don't find the Mattoc lacking at all and I like the damper and spring set up, but the pike is Boost so it will mean a new wheel and spacer kit to make the fork swap work

I haven't touched a Rockshox fork in anger for years, what do the people who have ridden both say?

Logic

Likes Dirt
I found with my Pike RC that it lacked small bump sensitivity, just going over small roots made the front of the bike bump around like crazy.

I believe the Manitou has high and low-speed compression adjustments doesn't it? If you can get those settings dialled im sure it'll feel a lot better than a pike.
but I've never tried a Manitou fork before so I'm not really sure about how they actually feel.

Beware though, you may have awoken the Manitou supremacists so be weary... :behindsofa:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What size wheel are the forks built for? If the Mattoc is built for the 26" that's in it, it will be a shorter fork than the Pike, which being Boosted will likely be built for semi-fat 27.5"+, so longer again than a "regular" 27.5" fork, even though they're the same travel. That extra length may affect the stiffness of the fork.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I honestly think that the Mattoc Pro 2 has way better small bump than the RC Pike. Better than a Fox34 too. It isn't as stiff as a pike though, but that doesn't bother me. Im running it on my Reign at 160mm and my Thunderbolt at 130mm.

moorey

call me Mia
Mattocs are 26/27.5 convertible, although only early models came with the parts.
I have both. I love both. (Mattoc pro, non IRC. Pike rc3 and RC
Mattoc for simplicity of travel adjust.
Pike for ease of service.
Pikes for dealer service and parts.
Draw for the feel, although my LSC does sweet fa on mattocs.
Mattoc reverse arch is a bit of a pain to route brake nicely.
I think pike has slightly better small bump sensitivity.
Mattoc bottom out control is like adding pike tokens on the fly.

For my money...pikes by a whisker, but love my mattocs.

teK--

Eats Squid
I found with my Pike RC that it lacked small bump sensitivity, just going over small roots made the front of the bike bump around like crazy.

I believe the Manitou has high and low-speed compression adjustments doesn't it? If you can get those settings dialled im sure it'll feel a lot better than a pike.
but I've never tried a Manitou fork before so I'm not really sure about how they actually feel.

Beware though, you may have awoken the Manitou supremacists so be weary... :behindsofa:
After 18 months of getting pissed off with my Pike RC and poor small bump compliance, I finally learned that it has a different shimstack tune to the Pike RCT3. The RC has a much stiffer LSC configuration to enable the compression dial to reach a very firm lockout. Fuckers.

Logic

Likes Dirt
After 18 months of getting pissed off with my Pike RC and poor small bump compliance, I finally learned that it has a different shimstack tune to the Pike RCT3. The RC has a much stiffer LSC configuration to enable the compression dial to reach a very firm lockout. Fuckers.
that explains a lot, while mine was a pretty decent fork at everything else, I was extremely disappointed with it. Since trying BOS suspension I would never go back, but I'm terrified of it fucking up because apparently the customer service is shite!

I would like to give a RC3 a shot though, I guess no one would run them if they were crap!

moorey

call me Mia
that explains a lot, while mine was a pretty decent fork at everything else, I was extremely disappointed with it. Since trying BOS suspension I would never go back, but I'm terrified of it fucking up because apparently the customer service is shite!

I would like to give a RC3 a shot though, I guess no one would run them if they were crap!
As a self declared hack....I really don't notice difference between RC and RC3 :behindsofa:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Mattocs are 26/27.5 convertible, although only early models came with the parts.
I have both. I love both. (Mattoc pro, non IRC. Pike rc3 and RC
Mattoc for simplicity of travel adjust.
Pike for ease of service.
Pikes for dealer service and parts.
Draw for the feel, although my LSC does sweet fa on mattocs.
Mattoc reverse arch is a bit of a pain to route brake nicely.
I think pike has slightly better small bump sensitivity.
Mattoc bottom out control is like adding pike tokens on the fly.

For my money...pikes by a whisker, but love my mattocs.
Bung an IRT in the Mattoc and small bumps become non existent.

OP has IRT, so my advice would be stay with the Mattoc.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a mattoc w/ IRT and a pike rct3. Prefer the mattoc because small bump is amazing and the HBO great. I wonder how the pike would compare with a luftkappe though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
As a self declared hack....I really don't notice difference between RC and RC3 :behindsofa:

How heavy are you? It's probably only the lighter riders who would notice.

Someone who pulled apart the RC calculated the LSC tune to be about twice as stiff as an RCT3.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it sounds like its a bit of a draw. I'll have to give the pike a ride and see how it goes, if I can avoid messing around with component swaps then that would be great, but I really like my mattoc.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Getting your damping circuits mixed up there... The shim stack is on the High Speed Compression circuit, and a stiff stack will affect HSC damping and small bump compliance. The LSC/lockout circuit is more about how the fork reacts to you bouncing around on it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Getting your damping circuits mixed up there... The shim stack is on the High Speed Compression circuit, and a stiff stack will affect HSC damping and small bump compliance. The LSC/lockout circuit is more about how the fork reacts to you bouncing around on it.
Hi Duck here is where I got the info from. I might have explained it unclearly though:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/i-absolutely-hate-my-pike-what-my-alternatives-1027764.html

Post 60: "The Pike RC has a very firm shim stack with a LSC/Lockout dial on the bypass, then air pressure and rebound."

Reference to German site: http://radtechnik.awiki.org/charger.html

Post 61: "
Good find. Their restackor plots show the RC compression damper to be twice as stiff as the RCT3. Same flow area requires double/half the force depending on your point of view."