Pike worth a upgrade over a Revelation?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Have a trail bike with a 140mm front Revelation forks, they work fine and I'm not a hard rider but a work mate has a new set of 140mm 29er Pike forks he bought for a abandoned project. Said I can have them for $750.
I'm thinking about it but I know my fork is a cheaper version of the pike I'm not sure if I'll see much improvement?

Still unsure how a basic alloy air shock costs $1100 new...

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends what model, but for any Pike or Revelation with the older A1 air shaft the single best upgrade you can do is the C1 Debonair air shaft. Night and day difference. Only costs about $80 last I checked and would be a better upgrade than a whole new fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
So is the Revelation a good fork in its own right?
I had the 32mm dual air Revs for a while and I really liked them. They had the later debonair spring too. Very light and smooth overall.

The only down side I found is that they sure don't like repeated hits. Get enough of that oil cavitation happening and they quickly turn rigid. You ust have to wait till bubbles go and it gets back to normal.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I had the 32mm dual air Revs for a while and I really liked them. They had the later debonair spring too. Very light and smooth overall.

The only down side I found is that they sure don't like repeated hits. Get enough of that oil cavitation happening and they quickly turn rigid. You ust have to wait till bubbles go and it gets back to normal.
Is that where a Pike is better?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The Pikes I have now are 35mm. I haven't belted the same descent with them yet :)

The Revs don't have a sealed Charger dampener either.

The Pikes are a nice fork with Luftkappe. Can't say I need better right now.
Pikes are a great fork. All you need is a dropper and your set.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 32mm Revelation is not a comparison for the 35mm Pike. They were designed for different purposes.

The 35mm Pike chassis is more stout, and the charger damper is quite a bit better in the Pike than the motion control in the Revelation.

As stated, 35mm stanchions makes it track better and feel more direct.

I've owned both and especially at my weight would never pick the 32mm Revelation.

The 35mm Revelation must be better in terms of stiffness. The damper is worth the extra.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have late model 32mm RCT3 Revs. Not in the same league as a charger Pike
Agreed with all of the above. The earlier 32mm Revs are less capable overall than the Pikes but with similar travel then they were also asking for beating from the same sort of riders.

Pity they didn't have better a dampener. They were around 1650gms which is pretty trim for that travel. A bit more weight and fatter stanchions make a big difference.

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed with all of the above. The earlier 32mm Revs are less capable overall than the Pikes but with similar travel then they were also asking for beating from the same sort of riders.

Pity they didn't have better a dampener. They were around 1650gms which is pretty trim for that travel. A bit more weight and fatter stanchions make a big difference.
Haven’t seen/ridden the 35mm revelation 160mm with charger. No idea how it differs from a pike. Shaved weight off lowers and crown?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Haven’t seen/ridden the 35mm revelation 160mm with charger. No idea how it differs from a pike. Shaved weight off lowers and crown?
I was wondering too. Is it more than a rebadge since it doesn't sound like it is that much different.

RS seem to have quite a bit of overlap between models.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve got a set of 35mm Revelations from 3 years ago that are on their second bike.
They are pretty ordinary compared to a Pike of the same vintage, very basic. They cannot do repeat hits at all and go very firm feeling, very quickly following a service.

The current Pikes, even the low level ones, are another step up again.