Pikes lower service- Oil to use??

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Are people just using the 0-30w that Rockshox recommend or is there something better?

DMan

Fox gold 20wt
10ml in each leg lower.
Excellent. Thanks.
Just curious why 10ml though when Rockshox recommends 5ml drive side-- 15ml non drive side? Will the extra oil in the drive side do any damage?

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks mate. I was reading through the rockshox site for the procedure and they listed "14-Present" with the 5-15 so I thought I'd ask.
All good, better safe than sorry.

I do all my own lower service on my Pikes (had 2 sets over 4 years) and never had any problems with Fox Gold 20wt and 10ml/10ml. I used to go 5ml/15ml until I read the updated oil quantity chart.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a noticeable difference with the Fox Gold? I was going to order some to try, but I still have a shitload of Rockshox oil and won’t bother if it is same/same.

teK--

Eats Squid
Pre 2015 stated 5/15ml but the current recommendation is 10/10ml

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...5CMUQFggdMAA&usg=AOvVaw1zjyTeHJoWNrkvKTIw99zh

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I believe they only updated the recommendation to 10ml per side for 2016-on due to changes in the damper sealhead assembly. Earlier forks still have the '5ml max' warning on the damper side footnut. If on the other hand you have retrofitted the revised 2016-on SKF seals then you can run 10/10. The risk is otherwise blowing out the wiper seal on the damper side.

DMan

I believe they only updated the recommendation to 10ml per side for 2016-on due to changes in the damper sealhead assembly. Earlier forks still have the '5ml max' warning on the damper side footnut. If on the other hand you have retrofitted the revised 2016-on SKF seals then you can run 10/10. The risk is otherwise blowing out the wiper seal on the damper side.
All good then as mine are 16s.

rone

Eats Squid
This. Always go with the volume written on the footnut over the website volumes information.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine are 2016 (perhaps early 2016) and the drive side plug states 5ml max. So do I stick with 5/15 or go 10/10?

teK--

Eats Squid
Mine are 2016 (perhaps early 2016) and the drive side plug states 5ml max. So do I stick with 5/15 or go 10/10?
Easy way to tell is to see if the damper sealhead is the new green coloured SKF seal in which case use 10ml. Otherwise 5ml.

My 2016 had new version seals but the old footnut that said 5ml max.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Easy way to tell is to see if the damper sealhead is the new green coloured SKF seal in which case use 10ml. Otherwise 5ml.

My 2016 had new version seals but the old footnut that said 5ml max.
OK, thanks for that. I haven't looked, but is the seal head visible without removing the damper?

Cheers
CC

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Any good quality synthetic engine oil in the lowers. I use a fully synthetic Penrite HPR 5W40 because that what I use in the Renault...

teK--

Eats Squid
OK, thanks for that. I haven't looked, but is the seal head visible without removing the damper?

Cheers
CC
Yeah it's at the bottom of the stanchion which you will see if you are removing the lowers to do the service.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Is there a noticeable difference with the Fox Gold? I was going to order some to try, but I still have a shitload of Rockshox oil and won’t bother if it is same/same.
The main thing about the Fox Gold is that it's quite sticky, so will tend to stay on the various bits it needs to lubricate, rather than drain to the bottom of the fork leg. You won't necessarily notice a huge performance difference, but durability of the fork will improve.