Pinholes in Raceface tubeless rim

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Bought a RF 35mm offset rim.
2 annoying pin holes in the side of the rim are for what ?
Are they holes for gases to escape as the rim is pressed ?
Annoying because they are close to the edge of the tape and separately have to sealed with silicon.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Could be gas release holes for welding. Without a picture they could also be homes for the microscopic bugs that own RF.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Funny though air comes out maybe via the valve ?
Possibly, are those holes pictured above the ones you're referring to? Or are there others in the actual rim bed (you mentioned being close to the tape/having to silicone them)? Certainly possible that air is leaking from the valve - can be relatively easy to not quite seat the valve fully in the hole or have the tape interfere with the seal, or sometimes the valve core can be a little loose in the stem... Are you losing air from the tyre or just curious about the holes?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah I always find setting up new tubeless an epic.
Once it is sealed it is fine thereafter.
I always put silicon in the spoke holes , carefully tape the rim , the valve always leaks for me initially despite putting silicon in the hole , adding an o ring or plumbers tape and doing the valve up tightly .
This time air was hissing out of the drain holes in the picture so it must be coming via the valve.
I have put in plenty of Stans sealant and rotate the wheel.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah I always find setting up new tubeless an epic.
Once it is sealed it is fine thereafter.
I always put silicon in the spoke holes , carefully tape the rim , the valve always leaks for me initially despite putting silicon in the hole , adding an o ring or plumbers tape and doing the valve up tightly .
This time air was hissing out of the drain holes in the picture so it must be coming via the valve.
I have put in plenty of Stans sealant and rotate the wheel.
Once the air escapes the rim bed it is in the body of the rim and may then appear to come from the drain holes or spoke holes.
Suggest looking at Muc-off valves as they come with three types of rubber bungs to plug the valve hole depending on the rim shape (and an o-ring).