Places to live near Hobart

clockworked

Like an orange
Where would you guys recommend living in the Hobart area?

Hopefully it would be 30 mins from Royal Hobart, have a backyard and shed room. Looking up to 800k.

I've been looking around cascade brewery so as to be close to those trails, but demand is high and supply is low!

My hobart local (non-riding) mate has been suggesting areas around Kingston, but thats about 20 mins from the trails that I'm aware of, but i'm aware of bugger all trails. Had a look on trail forks, and it looks like Kingston has a few green trails - are they any good?

I don't need to know your super secret trail's GPS coordinates, but I'd really appreciate it if those in the know could suggest some decent suburbs in closer proximity of trails than Kingston and surrounds

Cheers guy!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
800K gets you prime material, anything south side is great or west side if you want one closer to the north south trails. The pub on southside does a mean rabbit pie.

I'm all down for huonville or ferntree.. Everything north Ive been to stay away from by everyone, both local and real estate..

Lucky man!

clockworked

Like an orange
Yeah fern tree and surrounds was another suggestion!

Huonville and down closer to the huon is supposedly really nice, but has a trail network sprung up?

Delazy

Got a new bike!
800k is pretty extreme for hobart in all honesty...itll buy a good 80% of houses on the market...that said its been sometime since i looked...

i personally built at midway point/penna about 18-24 months ago now... ~330k built me a pretty standard 3 bedroom ~120m2 house (so not overly large) and a 8.5x6m garage on a ~740m2 block of land...

im 15-20mins from the city, 5 mins from the airport and 10 mins from meehan/clarence bike park...

Tranmere, Acton and Seven Mile Beach might interest you...

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
As others have said you can get a lot with 800K, potentially four bedrooms on a couple of acres within 25 minutes drive. If that sounds like too much to manage block sizes in Hobart except for the inner burbs and newer estates are still pretty large, there's plenty of the good ole quarter acre (1200m2) still around. Southside 30 minutes gets you anywhere down as far as Oyster Cove, there's some trails in Kingston on Boronia Hill and around Peter Murrell, with more at the back of Margate (Van Morey), and Coningham has a good network. Generally they are more XC style. The mountain and Clarence have the rowdier Hobart trails. Huonville is pretty much adventure rides (i.e. fire trails). Other things worth considering are access to water and public transport. Acton, Seven Mile and further out to Clifton Beach are really nice areas but you are definitely more car dependent in that direction.

clockworked

Like an orange
thanks for that guys, that's great info. More trails down around kingston and margate is great news. I'll look into Midway Point too

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're working shift then all the references to 30 min are relevant.
Unfortunately, a combination of crappy road networks, council planning that can only be described as wtf, and everything being in the centre of hobart means that at peak, 30 min doesn't get you far these days