Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That has value too. One of my favourite books is set on Mars over the first hundred years of colonisation and there is a rebel group called the Reds who want to stop terraforming on the basis the planet has value as it was. I like them :)
Whats the book mate?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Article in the Australian- “farmers face potential ruin as insurers pull out”. Climate change concerns making crop insurance hard/impossible to get.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Article in the Australian- “farmers face potential ruin as insurers pull out”. Climate change concerns making crop insurance hard/impossible to get.
Interesting. The aggregated big producers would probably have hedge products for that but from the insurance company perspective it's a one way street when dealing with a lone farmer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Insurance industry has been adjusting their practices for climate change for decades now. This is just the latest one...
They adjust it what ever the fuck they like, my house insurance went up 40% in one year, it's all good when they make big profits from farmers. If a farmer has had the same insurance policy for over 20 years, practice like this needs to be outlawed, just another selfish grubby industry.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah it one huge FF CC disaster could increasingly send ‘em to the wall.

Hence actuarial modifications.

If a place is deemed too risky it’s too risky.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Maybe government should be the 'insurer of last resort' that will get their fingers out of their bums and actually do something.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Then the taxpayer becomes the underwriter for everyone’s decisions, stupid or not.

To a degree this is acceptable - until it’s not.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well if the tax payer is going to be underwriting private enterprise's endeavours for profit, perhaps the tax payer should own the venture as well. That way those covering the risk also benefit from the triumph over the risk.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Is it such a smart move to drive farmers off the land so that we can fly & boat cheap food in from overseas in order for CEO's to afford big houses and sports cars and maybe a couple of investors. A very smart nation this is, I hope you all like the taste of dirt.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is it such a smart move to drive farmers off the land so that we can fly & boat cheap food in from overseas in order for CEO's to afford big houses and sports cars and maybe a couple of investors. A very smart nation this is, I hope you all like the taste of dirt.
China will look after us.

Flow-Rider

Burner
China will look after us.
It wouldn't surprise me if they end up owning all the farms here, I think they're looking at trading with Indo more but you'll probably get a good dose of agent orange as they still enjoy using DDT over there.

Brisbane had shit loads of 10~8 acre farms close to the CBD within a zone of roughly 25kms radius, endless water supply from the Brisbane river. So what do they do, drive all the farms out to 100km+ where the soil is shit and water supply is erratic. What a clever bunch they are, real academic achieves, now they can charge land tax and industrial land rates and make a bigger profit.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
People want cheap food. I buy fresh food from supermarkets for a few work social club curries I make and when the farmers market isn't open over Xmas.

My wife, with mine and others help manned a stall at the farmers market for months at peak drought relief last year and raised 12 grand. A bit of effort to not do the easy supermarket thing will support farmers. We've got all our fresh stuff with the above exceptions for 15 plus years. It just tastes better, less food miles, money direct to the farmers.

Still none of that will stop the droughts we face ongoing. But if you can I encourage you to give it a go.