Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah but now we are talking about HFC emissions & not CO2 emissions.

Let's talk about this Juggernaut instead!

https://www.equinor.com/en/news/2019-10-johan-sverdrup.html

"Let's cook this fucking planet, mother fuckers!"

View attachment 357875
This is the company wanting to deep sea drill in the Great Australian Bight.

I had some brief interactions with them about their emissions reporting a while back when I was in Norway. They are like any other oil company when being asked about the way they do things... The whole industry is a world unto themselves and very interesting to deal with.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I bet this is not included in said stats:

The atmosphere doesn’t gives shit where the emissions come from.

Straya, we overdeliver.

Is it time to discuss CC yet?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is past time to discuss cc...it's time to discuss sunscreen!

Do I have a disjointed memory, or when the world was faced with the ozone layer depletion crisis of the 80s did we not mostly band together and take swift decisive action to reduce the impact our life style was having on the ozone layer? How are we unable to join together like that now? Most of the decision makers in this space would've been around during that period.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
It is past time to discuss cc...it's time to discuss sunscreen!

Do I have a disjointed memory, or when the world was faced with the ozone layer depletion crisis of the 80s did we not mostly band together and take swift decisive action to reduce the impact our life style was having on the ozone layer? How are we unable to join together like that now? Most of the decision makers in this space would've been around during that period.
There is a small essay in the elections thread that I think addresses this well.

The divide between the rich and poor has widened so much that the poor can no longer envision and therefore no longer demands a world in which we all give up a little bit in order to get a better world, because they don't have much left to give to the rich.

The poor live effectively now, due to strains on public transport and road infrastructure as well as unaffordable housing close to the cbd but no efforts to spread jobs outwards, 1-4 hours from work. Then we spend 8 hours at work. Then you come home and spend 1-2 hours cook dinner or do other household chores whilst you wait for your food delivery. If you have kids, you basically have no spare time and you definitely do not have any spare money.
Then some fucking exec at BP tells you that YOU should lower your carbon footprint whilst he's taking a private jet to attend a business meeting he could have on skype.
You think why the fuck should I do anything?
The rich have already jumped to the solution of placing the blame on the poor, whilst also having convinced the poor that if the rich have to pay more taxes the poor will loose out even more and of course that is true. The rich will just make the economy scream and millions will die in poverty if we raise taxes on the rich (we still have to try).
#executetherichinthestreets

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think in the next 10-20 years a violent revolution could take place in somewhere like the USA, gross inequality , lots of poor, drugs and too many guns, similar to the French revolution without the guillotine.
Climate change will then have contributed to killing thousands maybe millions in places like Bangladesh so migration will be a big issue in a crowded world.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
There is a small essay in the elections thread that I think addresses this well.
Nailed it. Now multiply that at a global scale and we have the same thing going on.

Our emissions problem is not a technological, ideological or behavioural one. It's the sure outcome of capitalist markets. Markets can't give up growth and the wealthy can't give up wealth, the poor have increasingly less to give to the cause.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
A more optimistic look than the ABCs last excellent infographic orgy:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...e-and-what-you-could-get/11784704?pfmredir=sm
Except we already cut ~$78 billion in taxes to the rich (admittedly this also includes the middle class, but hey, if they keep pushing the status quo because it benefits them) this July. But no, everyone should pay $200 each, that way we'd get $4 billion.
What is the ABC anymore if not just another mouthpiece for neo-liberalism.