Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

To have any hope of limiting global warming to 2℃ this century—the upper limit of the Paris Agreement—each person in the developed world should only be emitting about two  tons of CO2 per year. We must start getting used to this lifestyle change now. But through sports-related travel alone—mostly driving—some Victorians are emitting almost one ton of CO2 a year.

These sport-related emissions equal the total CO2 a person in Pakistan or Africa emits in a year.
Try not to drive to a trailhead peeps!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Try not to drive to a trailhead peeps!
Don’t go half arsed give up mountain biking all together :p

Flow-Rider

Burner
Need more alfalfas!

Coal aside, don't overlook our grain silos and chemical plant when it comes to dusting up the place. We've got so much more depth to our pollution than just the coal bed.
Alfalfas don't come in Rosso Corsa (red) sadly, only British racing green.

Industrial fallout is a shit thing all round. I live beside a main road and I can dust furniture off and about a day later it looks like you never cleaned it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Alfalfas don't come in Rosso Corsa (red) sadly, only British racing green.

Industrial fallout is a shit thing all round. I live beside a main road and I can dust furniture off and about a day later it looks like you never cleaned it.
You are breathing in that shit! :oops:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
When I lived in Sydney, I lived sandwiched between a transformer sub station, Epping Road and the northern railway line. The constant hum and zap from the sub station was a little disconcerting, and we couldn't dry our clothes outside as they would end up black with coal and brake dust. I lived there for a year before I made the call it was too damaging to my health and moved.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

4 January
Temperatures in the Sydney basin hit a new high of 48.9C, the latest in a series of records in Australia. Bushfires create a 620 miles (1,000km) wide, 21 miles high smoke cloud, three times bigger than anything seen in the world before. It spreads so far that black charcoal reaches Antarctica. Scientists describe it as “a new benchmark on the magnitude of stratospheric perturbations”.
Just an excerpt from the article, read it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But that was all because we didn't do enough back burning. There hasn't been any catastrophic bushfires yet this year because last year we burnt up all the fuel. It was the Greenies fault.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

The main issue with this article is the conflation of electricity & energy.

As of a coupe of years ago, Australia's total energy needs were 23% met from the electricity grid. So crowing about the electricity grid being increasingly run by renewables ignores the fact we need to transition the other 77% of energy needs to non-FF sources. In other words, electrify everything, or use hydrogen or whatnot. The task ahead is enormous, the time we have left is tiny.

In the meantime, Australia’s energy transition continues to play out between the states, business and households.
Veteran environmentalist Bill McKibben makes the point that, on climate action, winning slowly is the same as losing. Are we winning fast enough? No, but we are accelerating.
Are we accelerating fast enough? Maybe.
Maybe? Maybe? It's science & maths, the answer is no!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

The main issue with this article is the conflation of electricity & energy.

As of a coupe of years ago, Australia's total energy needs were 23% met from the electricity grid. So crowing about the electricity grid being increasingly run by renewables ignores the fact we need to transition the other 77% of energy needs to non-FF sources. In other words, electrify everything, or use hydrogen or whatnot. The task ahead is enormous, the time we have left is tiny.

Maybe? Maybe? It's science & maths, the answer is no!
The time we have left is not tiny. That implies there is still time. We ran out of time about 20 years ago...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
We still have time, its the rate of emissions reduction that's become virtually impossible to meet.
Time for what? There is always time to make it less bad, but it’s already happened. Shut it all down today and we still get 2 degrees plus with what’s already in the system.