Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
There will need to be a “wholesale transformation of the global economy” if the world is to reach net zero carbon dioxide emissions by 2050, Kerry said. He said it was necessary for coal to be phased out five times faster than recent trends, the planet’s tree cover to be increased five times faster, renewable energy to be ramped up six times faster and a transition to electric vehicles to be 22 times faster than present.
He's still massively understating the problem but at least he's trying.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Moar:

Especially this:

Tech introduction/expansion is only part of the solution. So, so many other changes need to be made...plus for us to meet the numbers!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Chatting to Dad last night and he said the new double glazing they'd installed in their place meant they didn't even need to put the air con on currently - and that's with house insulation at a fairly anemic R+3 rating and Adelaide's current temperature resembling an oven.

So for anyone pondering double glazing, yes it might be worth it.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I know us Taswegians don't get the heat that the mainlanders do, but we had a 37C day a couple of weeks ago here so it can happen. Anyway, my house has ceiling and underfloor insulation (probably around R3 value), but the brick veneer has the ole silver paper treatment for the walls and little else. House is facing north east and is basically unshaded. With curtains closed on the sunny sides of the house, at 7pm it was still only 25C inside thanks to double glazing we installed earlier in the year.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
We are looking at installing double glazed windows eventually for the insulation and noise benefits, we have one big corner window in the loungeroom which I'm sure will be pricey to do, but it might make our firewood go further by keeping the heat in the house during winter, and stop the morning sun getting in. We have plantation shutters on some windows, and they act like a poor man's double glazing surprisingly, much better than heavy curtains.
The western facing sunroom is pretty well fucked when it comes to any sort of insulation factor; single brick veneer, west facing, no shade, single glazed windows the entire length of the room and a tin roof with no roof cavity between the cement sheet ceiling and roof itself. Luckily we have external blinds we leave down over summer, which do help a little. Long term goal is to extend off the back, fix the roof and create a deck which will make a nice outdoor area and shield the rest of the house from the western sun. Just waiting on Hifi to build the slide, so I can copy the design for the exit from deck to backyard. Short term, I'm planning to rig wires up, perhaps under the eaves, that I can grow hops on, as a quick growing plant, which will hopefully shade the house that little bit more and can be chopped down come winter.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Chatting to Dad last night and he said the new double glazing they'd installed in their place meant they didn't even need to put the air con on currently - and that's with house insulation at a fairly anemic R+3 rating and Adelaide's current temperature resembling an oven.

So for anyone pondering double glazing, yes it might be worth it.
We installed new windows on our owner built 80s mud brick thing about 12 months ago - still got two to go plus another one to 'design'. Original windows were/are single glazed doors recycled from wherever plus a couple of actual windows. We also replaced the front doors made from slabs and the back doors made from someone's patio doors. None of them sealed sufficiently to keep anything smaller than a goanna out...

All windows are kiln dried merbau for BAL29 compliance and have Viridian Lightbridge 5 or 6mm double glazing units in them. Eleven window and two door units in all. Not much change from thirty grand all in and we have done the installation...so bear that in mind when thinking about double glazing.

But oh yes...it is worth it.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
We installed new windows on our owner built 80s mud brick thing about 12 months ago - still got two to go plus another one to 'design'. Original windows were/are single glazed doors recycled from wherever plus a couple of actual windows. We also replaced the front doors made from slabs and the back doors made from someone's patio doors. None of them sealed sufficiently to keep anything smaller than a goanna out...

All windows are kiln dried merbau for BAL29 compliance and have Viridian Lightbridge 5 or 6mm double glazing units in them. Eleven window and two door units in all. Not much change from thirty grand all in and we have done the installation...so bear that in mind when thinking about double glazing.

But oh yes...it is worth it.
Yikes, now I remember why we didn't go double glaze when we built twelve years ago.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We have went with double glazed windows on the extension plus roof and wall insulation and sarking. Did the whole shooting match.

It is not finished yet but is quite cool in there now considering it is a stinker outside today. There is no A/C or fans and all the windows are shut. Will be interesting to see how the temperature is in winter.

Makes a good shed substitute at the moment. Winning.

20210123_173038.jpg

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Home made double glazing works well.
Leave existing windows intact and add glass to the inside or the outside.
If on outside laminated glass is good.
Vacuum isnt necessary.
Doesnt work easily with aluminium windows and be careful about a thermal break.
Have done it for 2 houses .

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Didn’t you literally just put a new insulated roof on your garage and build a pergola?
Only for shade, insulation is a side benefit - mostly because it provides a structural span.

Prevention of CC in the first place is the only thing that'll save humanity.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not sure if double glazing is the solution. We can't adapt - we need to prevent:

There hasn't been a house built in the UK in the last 30-35yrs that didnt have at least double glazing.

I cant understand why it's not the standard for windows in this country, the more popular it is, the cheaper it becomes. The premium to upgrade a new homes windows from standard to double glazing is scandalous.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Only for shade, insulation is a side benefit - mostly because it provides a structural span.

Prevention of CC in the first place is the only thing that'll save humanity.
Yes, but people were talking about double glazing to improve comfort in their homes and reduce energy costs/emissions etc... not as the solution to save humanity or solve cc. Your desire for better shade in a sub-tropical climate is the same thing - adaptation.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No, read the story. That's mitigation, adaptation is adding double glazing.

But really - we will double glaze these shit boxes as a way of fixing the problem?

Our current way of life is fucking stupid. It has to stop.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
There has been a house built in the UK in the last 30-35yrs that didnt have at least double glazing.

I cant understand why it's not the standard for windows in this country, the more popular it is, the cheaper it becomes. The premium to upgrade a new homes windows from standard to double glazing is scandalous.
Energy is cheap, we are a conservative country, fossil fuel lobby.
We are looking at installing double glazed windows eventually for the insulation and noise benefits, we have one big corner window in the loungeroom which I'm sure will be pricey to do, but it might make our firewood go further by keeping the heat in the house during winter, and stop the morning sun getting in. We have plantation shutters on some windows, and they act like a poor man's double glazing surprisingly, much better than heavy curtains.
The western facing sunroom is pretty well fucked when it comes to any sort of insulation factor; single brick veneer, west facing, no shade, single glazed windows the entire length of the room and a tin roof with no roof cavity between the cement sheet ceiling and roof itself. Luckily we have external blinds we leave down over summer, which do help a little. Long term goal is to extend off the back, fix the roof and create a deck which will make a nice outdoor area and shield the rest of the house from the western sun. Just waiting on Hifi to build the slide, so I can copy the design for the exit from deck to backyard. Short term, I'm planning to rig wires up, perhaps under the eaves, that I can grow hops on, as a quick growing plant, which will hopefully shade the house that little bit more and can be chopped down come winter.
Parts of Wodonga are really bad.
The full dumbness on display no trees or shade, no eaves or veranda ,dark rooves , windows facing the wrong way, dark cars ,lots of bitumen , aircon on full blast.
5 star rating !!!