Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No. We export 2/3rds of our agricultural production in a good year.

We can significantly reduce water use and marginal land use by switching to different production. Ie getting out of cotton, less grain fed beef, more kangaroo harvesting, more fast growing timber and bamboo.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I only eat Australian grown rice. It's so much better.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Why does it make more sense to send refugees to Europe than Australia?
I said in my post from a purely emissions perspective. Their per capital emissions are much lower than ours. As such migrants who go to Europe will have a lower emissions footprint than one that goes to Australia.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I figured this would be a good place t orant about throw away consumption culture. Most of my stable is getting tired and bits breaking so the last few 'services' have been a little bit more involved. Anyway I need to buy a freehub body because for some reason I seem to destroy freehub pawls. The bike is a commuter beater with no special wheels and house branded axles - fair enough take it apart and it will usually be a branded hub - turns out it's a formula hub - great start. Anyway get the models numbers and try to find a replacement freehub body and turns out I'm up for $140 just for that one part and the kicker is it's on backorder. Really trying to avoid buying a new wheel because the rest of the wheel is still good but bloody hell cycling deal has a equivalent crappy wheelset for $159 and that's two wheels!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The funny thing is, we here in the "west" tend to fix more stuff than others. Which is good.

I watched a vid recently where it showed the Chinese throwing away more than we do...way more. They don't repair e-bikes, the crap ones at least. Anything goes wrong & they chuck the whole bike & buy another one...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
The funny thing is, we here in the "west" tend to fix more stuff than others. Which is good.

I watched a vid recently where it showed the Chinese throwing away more than we do...way more. They don't repair e-bikes, the crap ones at least. Anything goes wrong & they chuck the whole bike & buy another one...
A link or something, my understanding was the more wealth an individual or society had, the more it could afford to throw away.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Interesting. Wonder if the intended outcome is reduction in GHG output, or an increase in the price of coal. Glencore have some pretty bad form. Hope this is for the greater good.
It might be a strategic plan because they'll need to compete with up and coming mines.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So Bill Gates has come out and said that renewables and the like cannot sustain an industrial nation's power needs. And I called bullshit. I am now offline having some very interesting debates with people whose grasp of the English language isnt what the think it is. I think they are at the opposite end of the Dunning Kruger curve.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Interesting. Wonder if the intended outcome is reduction in GHG output, or an increase in the price of coal. Glencore have some pretty bad form. Hope this is for the greater good.
It's Glencore telegraphing to their shareholders and the market in general that no growth in their production volumes should no longer influence their share price pretty please whilst also trying to say to their naysayers...aren't we responsible corporate citizens.

#iamcynical

Binaural

Eats Squid
So Bill Gates has come out and said that renewables and the like cannot sustain an industrial nation's power needs. And I called bullshit. I am now offline having some very interesting debates with people whose grasp of the English language isnt what the think it is. I think they are at the opposite end of the Dunning Kruger curve.
Well, Gates is also putting a fortune behind clean energy funds, so I am inclined to read any comments like that pretty charitably. He's said a number of times that electricity generation isn't enough by itself, which is not that controversial.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Well, Gates is also putting a fortune behind clean energy funds, so I am inclined to read any comments like that pretty charitably. He's said a number of times that electricity generation isn't enough by itself, which is not that controversial.
Gates also thinks saving millions of lives is good idea... Ffs, we need the population safety valve - wiping out some quite effective diseases and keeping another however million people alive is a terrible idea!

He could achieve much better outcomes for the lives of people in third world for a fraction of the cost - provide family planning, contraceptive and education for women. Treat the cause, not the symptom.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
It's Glencore telegraphing to their shareholders and the market in general that no growth in their production volumes should no longer influence their share price pretty please whilst also trying to say to their naysayers...aren't we responsible corporate citizens.
Definitely greenwashing but its a start.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's like people are just waking from hibernation. Do not forget this image - it is important in that it illustrates what's necessary:

1. No, renewables are likely not sufficient to run the current world power draw
  2. We need to move rapidly to zero (0) CO2 emissions by 2030 to have a chance...just a chance...of capping to 2 degrees
  3. Alongside #2, we also need to implement negative emissions strategies to meet 2 degrees
  4. There is almost no chance of eliminating CO2 emissions from human activity so somehow we need to manage emissions capture & storage to maintain a safe climate
We need to reduce energy needs as our #1 priority. Then move to renewables. It's fairly easy to reduce energy load...it's called legislation. Emergency measures. Rationing. We have no choice if we want to sort this disaster.

It's now time to introduce you all to this website:

Good mate of mine has compiled it. It speaks the truth.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You miss my point. Gates was dissing the tech for clean generation. It CAN achieve it, so can hamsters in little wheely things, you just need a lot. The issue is storage and networks. The most reliable source of energy is pretty much untapped, waves and tides. Anyway I was having fun with numpties who were spruiking we must keep coal and nukes but there is no reason why 100% of demand cannot theoretically be achieved.