Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Flow-Rider

Burner
While there's more to life than wealth, i doubt anyone would say no to wealth firstly and secondly as to wealth at the expense of the environment, see my first point about people not knowing shit about super.
You haven't been to places like Nimbin, there are people there who can easily earn a 6 figure salary but choose to live a very basic life. Most people want happiness first and think wealth brings that into their life but unfortunately not always the case.

61873976_2039847672977804_7430339524258955264_n.jpg

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
You haven't been to places like Nimbin, there are people there who can easily earn a 6 figure salary but choose to live a very basic life. Most people want happiness first and think wealth brings that into their life but unfortunately not always the case.
View attachment 393102
I absolutely have been to Nimbin. enjoyed a certain festival there a few times. Most of the people there there who are living a basic life are doing so because they aren't wealthy , not the other way around. Bit hard to generate wealth when you're smashed or employment-diverse lol.

People who are in positions to have wealthy lifestyles who choose to live basic ones, are not representative on any significant portion of our society. They're outliers and they certainly don't congregate in Nimbin. I'm also not including those that made a motza and can now retire at 30 on a basic lifestyle and surf every day, because those people are actually wealthy to be able to do so. Wealthy people can have happy lives, you know? Being wealthy doesnt automatically mean you are working like a pig to generate that wealth. Those people are not giving up shit to have less.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I absolutely have been to Nimbin. enjoyed a certain festival there a few times. Most of the people there there who are living a basic life are doing so because they aren't wealthy , not the other way around. Bit hard to generate wealth when you're smashed or employment-diverse lol.

People who are in positions to have wealthy lifestyles who choose to live basic ones, are not representative on any significant portion of our society. They're outliers and they certainly don't congregate in Nimbin. I'm also not including those that made a motza and can now retire at 30 on a basic lifestyle and surf every day, because those people are actually wealthy to be able to do so. Wealthy people can have happy lives, you know? Being wealthy doesnt automatically mean you are working like a pig to generate that wealth. Those people are not giving up shit to have less.
The people that you generally see at the festivals aren't the same people that live in the hills.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Having grown up in the hippie world, I can confirm that there are a few ex-wealthy types that table flipped on the corporate life and traded in the Mercedes for a beater and retired to the bush to live in a shack and grow their own veggies.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Having grown up in the hippie world, I can confirm that there are a few ex-wealthy types that table flipped on the corporate life and traded in the Mercedes for a beater and retired to the bush to live in a shack and grow their own veggies.
yep. theres probably 20 of them. Like i said. outliers. But many of them also flipped that table after amassing enough wealth not to worry about where the next meal is coming from for the rest of their lives. Many live off passive incomes.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Nimbin is not really representative of the hippie world in general. Its a pretty broad term, and doesn't always cover people who are not into crystals and magic mushrooms and poor hygiene, but still live a simple money poor happiness rich life ;)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Nimbin is not really representative of the hippie world in general. Its a pretty broad term, and doesn't always cover people who are not into crystals and magic mushrooms and poor hygiene, but still live a simple money poor happiness rich life ;)
yes, but flow-riders comment was about people who *could* be on six figure salaries but choose to live simple lives in nimbin. Were not talking about the general population of money poor/ happiness rich people (hippy or not) of which there are plenty, but not necessarily able to achive high incomes. Theres a difference.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
yes, but flow-riders comment was about people who *could* be on six figure salaries but choose to live simple lives in nimbin. Were not talking about the general population of money poor/ happiness rich people (hippy or not) of which there are plenty, but not necessarily able to achive high incomes. Theres a difference.
No, I got that. But I'm saying ive known plenty of highly educated and previously wealthy people who left it to live a happier life. And not just living off their existing wealth, I mean actually left it all behind and live within their much simpler means.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats right, thats why i posted the census data. The demographics paint a very clear picture of the type of people that live there.
Nimbin is known for all the wrong reasons, it's where the Australian counterculture was formed. A lot of the original hippie families there were students from universities across Australia that chose the counter-culture life. Their stance to stop the prohibition of pot drags in a lot of undesirables to the town for obvious reasons but it's where a lot of the academics used to meet to exchange ideas at festivals.

No, I got that. But I'm saying ive known plenty of highly educated and previously wealthy people who left it to live a happier life. And not just living off their existing wealth, I mean actually left it all behind and live within their much simpler means.
Yep, they care 0 about making money.

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
Meanwhile here in Queensland we are going to build the worlds biggest pumped hydro dam/s west of Mackay along with one at Borumba by 2035 and coming in at $62 billion half funded by the private sector, who that will be is anybody's guess.

I am amazed at folk who just agree with this type of rubbish will go ahead because it's not coal and it sounds good.
Bloody laugh, the Mayor of Mackay first heard of it at the news conference.

It will of course use more power than it produces like Snowy 2.0 but power will be produced more in line with peak demand were it ever to go ahead, however in the meantime it will divert voters attention away from more pressing matters.of state and show how clever our state government is.
WORLDS Biggest wank...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It will of course use more power than it produces like Snowy 2.0 but power will be produced more in line with peak demand
Absolutely the rules of physics but it is used in peak periods or for smoothing the spikes and pumped back up in the slack times.

Can be useful for smoothing peaks when wind and solar are constant.

Pumping it back up is dirty dirty electricity... but that doesn't matter because most people are sleeping ;)