Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Insanity.

Link went funny, it's the Saudi plan to build a ski resort.
Definitely no info on the green energy that will supposedly be used to power this monstrosity. Imagine if that was to be put to good use, instead of some circle jerk, flex fest for the rich and shameless?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Definitely no info on the green energy that will supposedly be used to power this monstrosity. Imagine if that was to be put to good use, instead of some circle jerk, flex fest for the rich and shameless?
Yep, not to mention the embodied energy. Also the people who won't leave their land, who the regime is killing to make way for the broader project.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep, not to mention the embodied energy. Also the people who won't leave their land, who the regime is killing to make way for the broader project.
Hey! MBS and his minions are good people doing good things. That's enough of this blatant uninformed attack on their benevolent nation.

RIP: world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
From a country that's proud to house multi-billionaire criminals, highly unlikely.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This is a great podcast about hydrogen, and why it is pretty much shite.

Yep, that’s all spot on. I’ve quietly (and sometimes not quietly) saying these things for some years, including during some advisory work I’ve done for the hydrogen strategy.
It’s just not a thing for transport, but does have some really important uses.

I still reckon making synthetic kerosene from green hydrogen will be (an expensive) way decarbonising aviation though - there are trillions tied up in the commercial aviation fleet and it has a long service life. And aviation really does need the energy density you get from liquid hydrocarbons….

Flow-Rider

Burner
When I looked at the article I thought to myself...that is going to be a difficult shape to groom.
Money isn't an object to most of them if they can get the rich to spend it there.

Yep, that’s all spot on. I’ve quietly (and sometimes not quietly) saying these things for some years, including during some advisory work I’ve done for the hydrogen strategy.
It’s just not a thing for transport, but does have some really important uses.

I still reckon making synthetic kerosene from green hydrogen will be (an expensive) way decarbonising aviation though - there are trillions tied up in the commercial aviation fleet and it has a long service life. And aviation really does need the energy density you get from liquid hydrocarbons….
Twiggy pens multi-billion dollar green hydrogen deal to transition European energy away from Russia

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah. It’s an expensive way of exporting renewable electricity from Australia, the sun cable seems more sensible.
I would imagine that the electrolysis method would be water intensive, it is the same with Twiggy's slurry pipe to carry iron to Port Hedland. They can't just keep on sucking water out of the water table over in WA without future consequences.

Haakon

I would imagine that the electrolysis method would be water intensive, it is the same with Twiggy's slurry pipe to carry iron to Port Hedland. They can't just keep on sucking water out of the water table over in WA without future consequences.
Yep, we’re on that. Hydrogen guys had all been “no worries, water costs are small relatively speaking”, and the water people are “we don’t care what it costs, how much do you actually need and do we have it spare”.

Haakon

The real solution to water is desalination though. It’s a surprisingly small 5-10 percent energy cost to run desal to feed electrolysers. And lots of research going on into electrolysers that will run on sea water.

Problem with desal is brine disposal, it’s not great for marine ecosystems. Dilution is not the solution to pollution…