Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The addiction to growth is something else - the nexus between co2 and economic growth can easily be broken. Energy pricing is not the driver of the economy, besides we are also being told that renewables are cheaper, and if that’s the case, then it’s obviously not relevant.

What is relevant, is the want of the rest of the world to use resources like we do - 7b people living like the 1b is not going to work out well.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looking locally for the moment, is there a break down of personal impacts on CO2 and methane etc split into various categories like travel (land, sea and air), food, domestic consumption etc? Look at the low hanging fruit.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
All on my mate's website:

https://www.worldenergydata.org/australia/

An immediate restriction on international plane travel would be the first thing we could do. And banning unnecessary FF use events (organised sports, everything from F1 to the Womens World Football Cup).

But hey, who wants to actually do anything about CC?

Oh, and check this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/18/arctic-permafrost-canada-science-climate-crisis

Can't wait to see who qualifies on pole in the French GP. Got to get your priorities right.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
We were discussing this 15 years ago at Uni now it looks like we might have actually managed it.

Once the pumps change everyone's weather changes and then we learn just how small we really are.
The Greenland ice cap is also destabilising- if a big enough chunk slides off into the North Atlantic it could shut down the Gulf Stream.

Which leave Europe particularly fucked.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The dog sled photo deserves a little more info compared to how it’s been reported.

That photo would be unremarkable, except that it’s taken 2 or 3 weeks earlier than usual - ie that scene is possible every year in that location. It’s earlier than before because they just had an unseasonably warm weather event that saw a number of days in the high teens. Like the photos of the polar bears in the middle of nowhere, while it becomes emblematic, it also provides ammunition for the deniers when they find a photo the same in 1960 or something.

Total sea ice on the arctic is easier to measure, and arguably more important due to the timelines

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Greenland ice cap is also destabilising- if a big enough chunk slides off into the North Atlantic it could shut down the Gulf Stream.

Which leave Europe particularly fucked.
Wouldn't we get a new ice age?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wouldn't we get a new ice age?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
No, the total heat/energy in the global system is the same, it just gets concentrated in the equatorial regions - drought and heat waves while Europe freezes. Fun times :)