Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
what about Defence, they burn up so much fuel every day just to go around in circles and end up back where they started!
Fuel is actually the single biggest cost to the Dept of Defence, and remind me again with whom we are at war with?
The climate? Nazis? Pauline?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Why limit to public service. Part of the reason why we can't solve CC is this 'jobs' mentality. We are stuck in the industrial age thinking where we do 40+ hours a week and most of us just piss fart around for most of it. I'll contend that if we simply shortened the working week to 3 days climate change would have more of a shot. People would be healthier, happier and actually have the time to ride bicycles more, banter on RB and the economy would shift significantly.
Mate...I haven't had paid employment since February 2018 and I've never been busier. Not sure my CC contribution has improved though. And it'd be nice to have some cash...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Folks would actually take the extra time to ride to a place instead of driving there to save time.
Well now we know you're a lying Pinko commie traitor! No Australian will ever use their new found spare time to not drive to places and consume. It's...it's...it's...unaustralian.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Defence is one of the real juvenile bludger departments , not just burning fuel but everything they do is anti cc.
They play war games, have Vets Affairs what a joke, buy new toys which are way over budget take no responsibility for running costs ,half of them are whinging pussies, now they are building a new Defence hospital in Wodonga why ?????

John U

MTB Precision
So many jobs are about to disappear - I get very tired of the "jobs" mantra. People are more than the shitty jobs they work. Bring on the UBI and automate all the things, allow those who want to work a few days a week on top of that to do so. A gross simplification, and unlikely to happen (except the jobs disappearing part)....

What thread is this again?
I reckon automation will put more power in the hands of those already powerful. Those whose jobs no longer exist won’t get support to go bike riding, they’ll get more wrong end of the pineapple.
It is unlikely we’ll ever come to a point where people consider if AI is good or bad for society, it’ll just charge forward.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think AI could actually help with redistributing power and wealth, and reducing corruption - but its easy to think of the dystopian examples too.
It would be cool to witness the singularity though...

Just saw this visualisation:

Not looking forward to the coming decades... (oh yeah, we're most closely tracking RCP 8.5)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
There was a fucking great british mini series called Utopia (not the australian polical satire one) where there is a plot to kill off massive amounts of humans in order to save the planet. I did not relate to the good guys trying to stop them killing everyone...

Great series though, worth watching even though i just gave a massive spoiler. Amazing soundtrack too.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
There was a fucking great british mini series called Utopia (not the australian polical satire one) where there is a plot to kill off massive amounts of humans in order to save the planet. I did not relate to the good guys trying to stop them killing everyone...

Great series though, worth watching even though i just gave a massive spoiler. Amazing soundtrack too.
Such a good (and underrated) show!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
, buy new toys which are way over budget take no responsibility for running costs ,
ain't this the truth
they replaced the un-killable Perentie (Land rover with isuzu engine) that was cheap,simple and field repairable with the Merc G wagen!
not only are they over 200k in basic form as delivered from Big M, but by the time they have all the G I Joe shit fitted to it, they are nudging Half a mil EACH..and they are not field repairable easily, I see alot of them sent back to the Merc dealer down the road from my place for "service work"
and the cherry on top is that they aren't even deployable, used only for training and peace keeping duties...
but I guess we shouldn't be surprised by a dept that takes great pride in blowing shit up!
there is alot of public servants in defence performing "idler pulley" duties too..sack em all i say!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
ain't this the truth
they replaced the un-killable Perentie (Land rover with isuzu engine) that was cheap,simple and field repairable with the Merc G wagen!
not only are they over 200k in basic form as delivered from Big M, but by the time they have all the G I Joe shit fitted to it, they are nudging Half a mil EACH..and they are not field repairable easily, I see alot of them sent back to the Merc dealer down the road from my place for "service work"
and the cherry on top is that they aren't even deployable, used only for training and peace keeping duties...
but I guess we shouldn't be surprised by a dept that takes great pride in blowing shit up!
there is alot of public servants in defence performing "idler pulley" duties too..sack em all i say!
I was involved in firefighting back home in Victoria about when the fire services were looking at alternatives to the trusty old 6 cylinder 70 series. When they went to the V8, it screwed with the GVM rules given the kit the fire vehicles had to carry (inc a shittonne of water...).

We had a Patrol as a test car - it was shite. Too big to get between trees when following a dozer down a line, and too turbo laggy which meant the clutches burnt out in 5 minutes when constantly crawling with a load. And the heavy duty clutch Nissan put in it as a fix was horrible.

Ended up with a bunch of G wagens on the back of the army contracts. I never got to drive them before I left Victora, but from my mate who is still there they are highly thought of.

For summer fire crews, field repair is less of an issue I guess.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I was involved in firefighting back home in Victoria about when the fire services were looking at alternatives to the trusty old 6 cylinder 70 series. When they went to the V8, it screwed with the GVM rules given the kit the fire vehicles had to carry (inc a shittonne of water...).

We had a Patrol as a test car - it was shite. Too big to get between trees when following a dozer down a line, and too turbo laggy which meant the clutches burnt out in 5 minutes when constantly crawling with a load. And the heavy duty clutch Nissan put in it as a fix was horrible.

Ended up with a bunch of G wagens on the back of the army contracts. I never got to drive them before I left Victora, but from my mate who is still there they are highly thought of.

For summer fire crews, field repair is less of an issue I guess.
Even further of topic but, I was also on emergency response at the time. The Vic Govt bought quite a few Patrol trayback utes in the late 2000's for firefighting though. It was after Nissan went to the "lightweight" chassis and all in fire service ended up with cracked chassis. Was around 130 of them decommissioned sitting in the back of the Horsham centre for years while they argued about warranty (in mean time and since, no more Nissans in Vic fleet).

They were replaced by '70 series 'cruisers. Only prob was local young workers on P plates couldn't drive them due to power/weight/turbo legals at the time. Since fixed.

G wagons are certainly current darlings of the fireys.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I was also on emergency response at the time. The Vic Govt bought quite a few Patrol trayback utes in the late 2000's for firefighting though. It was after Nissan went to the "lightweight" chassis and all in fire service ended up with cracked chassis. Was around 130 of them decomissioned sitting in the back of the Horsham centre for years while they argued about warranty (in mean time and since, no more Nissans in Vic fleet).

They were replaced by '79 series 'cruisers. Only prob was local young workers on P plates couldn't drive them due to power/weight/turbo legals at the time. Since fixed.

G wagons are certainly current darlings of the fireys.
Wow, I didnt know we tried that many Patrols! I thing I remember hearing something about the chassis, I do remember they were maxed out spring spec wise! Only drove one on one shift and I did not like it - just too big and sloppy, made the old 70 series feel like a Lotus down a narrow bush track...

I was there the year of Black Saturday and the year after, so probably the start of the Patrol experiment?

Only drove the V8 70 series the once too, the lack of engine braking from the turbo engine threw me on the technical stuff. No shortage of grunt on the open road of course but for what we were doing with them the engine braking and crawling capability was the priority.