Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Battery packs cannot hve their upfront carbon footprint just attributed to the life of the vehicle. Aside from generally lasting the life the vehicle, the materials have a second and third life as a stationary battery and/or recycled.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Battery packs cannot hve their upfront carbon footprint just attributed to the life of the vehicle. Aside from generally lasting the life the vehicle, the materials have a second and third life as a stationary battery and/or recycled.
Yes they can. And they should. CO2 emissions are CO2 emissions.

You are making too many other assumptions.

Haakon

All models are full of assumptions- the takeout I got from that article was “it depends...”.

But it also makes the point i always have - on their own and with the current grid makeup they’re a marginal improvement (but still an improvement). Especially on a like for like (ie not comparing a polo to a Tesla).

But - EVs only get better as the grid improves, ICE only gets worse. You can decarbonise cars if you go electric, they’re a foundation investment.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You seem to be reading the report wrong.

There are no “it depends”. You choose your scenario & it gives you the answer.

Me, purely based on CO2 emissions, keeping the Polo will result in vastly fewer emissions from here forward than if I bought a new Tesla Model 3 with the big battery pack.

Especially if I don’t use the Polo much.

Buying an EV and keeping it parked on the drive is even worse!

The situation has more input variables of say, the Polo got written off & I needed a new car. I’d still be better off buying another used Polo though.

And investment foundation is only another case of “winning slowly is the same as losing”. I’ll say it again, solving CC will not happen because we all own EVs.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The concern with EVs is that they'll result in a big push of consumerism. eg. more new cars will be sold. If you absolutely need a new car, then an EV may be a good choice for the environment, but if all your doing is buying a fashion statement that will make you feel good about buying non-essential stuff then its an environmental disaster.

Haakon

The concern with EVs is that they'll result in a big push of consumerism. eg. more new cars will be sold. If you absolutely need a new car, then an EV may be a good choice for the environment, but if all your doing is buying a fashion statement that will make you feel good about buying non-essential stuff then its an environmental disaster.
That’s a given. There are X billion in China and India entering middle class consumerism, good luck stopping that!! They’re buying cars and all the rest of it anyway, regardless of what powers them.

Better make it decarbonised electricity if you want to stem some of the damage.

Haakon

Winning slowly is the same as losing.

If you don’t want to carry out enough to solve CC, fuck it - don’t do anything at all.
Its not a matter of wanting... Sorry dude, really not having a go. I'm just at that point where cynicism seems to be the appropriate approach to retaining a measure of sanity. Its all very fucked, and was irretrievable a long time ago.

Its damage mitigation now, not avoidance.

Haakon

Was just listening to the radio this morning about whale sharks off ningaloo reef. The big ones are gone because theyre being caught for shark fin soup in asia, which is a minor problem because theyre not sexually mature until 30 years old and 8 metres long...

Bye bye sharkies.... You only survive how many millions of years gently cruising about before the monkeys turned up.

This is part of why i struggle to care about aboriginal stuff - i lump all flavours of humans into the big "you're a bunch of greedy rapacious pricks" bucket. The distinctions below that are marginal at best.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tesla claims that the composition of their batteries makes it more viable to recycle than other brands of cars but I tell you all that the older Toyota Prius's end up at the wreckers because the battery pack replacement exceeds the valve of the car itself, which in my eyes is a big shame to throw away a perfectly working car besides the battery pack.

Haakon

Tesla claims that the composition of their batteries makes it more viable to recycle than other brands of cars but I tell you all that the older Toyota Prius's end up at the wreckers because the battery pack replacement exceeds the valve of the car itself, which in my eyes is a big shame to throw away a perfectly working car besides the battery pack.
Thats just because people do the usual "take it to the dealer to get bent over on prices". There are plenty of sources of reconditioned Prius pack vendors - its quite popular in the US in particular to pick up an older Prius with a dead battery for bugger all and do the battery in them. Makes for a super cheap commuter!

edit - 10 seconds on google https://thehybridbattery.com.au

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats just because people do the usual "take it to the dealer to get bent over on prices". There are plenty of sources of reconditioned Prius pack vendors - its quite popular in the US in particular to pick up an older Prius with a dead battery for bugger all and do the battery in them. Makes for a super cheap commuter!

edit - 10 seconds on google https://thehybridbattery.com.au
My next door neighbour can get recycled batteries at trade price and not worth him buying them.