Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Super exxy to set up and scale up so I don’t see it actually happening any time soon... ICAO is focusing more on biofuels at present - look up CORSIA if you’re interested.
Biofuels are a scam.

And you know we don't have time, don't you? Repeat - we don't have time.

The only current solution to aviation CO2 emission is to stop aviation CO2 emissions. By not aviating.

Believing in a future unicorn & fairy state of play isn't scientific.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Biofuels are a scam.

And you know we don't have time, don't you? Repeat - we don't have time.

The only current solution to aviation CO2 emission is to stop aviation CO2 emissions. By not aviating.

Believing in a future unicorn & fairy state of play isn't scientific.
Biofuels are a small part, like EVs.

We didn’t have time 20 years ago...

I don’t disagree. It ain’t happening though...

It’s all doable, just needs dollars. I think it’s clear where the financial priorities are :)

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Either your explanation is shit or you are playing with words. Carbon locked inside your penis as coal is good. Burn your cock and the CO2 generated is bad.
Maybe you're playing dumb, maybe not so I'll explain. If you grow a crop it locks it locks up CO2 (you know cabon based life an' all that) then when you burn it it give that CO2 back to the atmosphere, no more. The CO2 gets in a cycle where it is consumed by plants that are used fuel, burnt the taken up again by the plants.

Haakon

Either your explanation is shit or you are playing with words. Carbon locked inside your penis as coal is good. Burn your cock and the CO2 generated is bad.
Umm. Huh...?

It’s just organic chemistry 101, pretty simple.

Co2 split to CO and O via a catalytic process. CO and H2 is turned into the hydrocarbon chain length of your choice via Fischer Troph.

ICAO certified synthetic fuel for use in commercial aviation years ago, but it’s currently with H2 and CO from gasification of coal and biomass.

It’s the source of base stock for Shell Helix engine oils too. Mostly because Shell has a gas plant in the Middle East they had excess capacity at, but they make the base synthetically using this method. It’s good oil...

Last edited:

Haakon

Maybe you're playing dumb, maybe not so I'll explain. If you grow a crop it locks it locks up CO2 (you know cabon based life an' all that) then when you burn it it give that CO2 back to the atmosphere, no more. The CO2 gets in a cycle where it is consumed by plants that are used fuel, burnt the taken up again by the plants.
In the same way that carbon is returned to the atmosphere when biomass breaks down naturally.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/eyes-on-environment/the_biofuel_controversy

Maybe it is this convenience that has created such a strong bias towards considering biofuels a carbon-free source. Almost all policymakers currently do so. The problem is that it's not true, and a double counting error made in almost all policy calculations overestimates the impact that biofuels use will have on carbon emissions.2 Here's why.

All plants and trees act as a huge carbon sink to take in CO2 from the atmosphere through photosynthesis - without this sink, our planet would be much hotter than it already is. Burning biofuel for energy use does release CO2, but policymakers argue that this is balanced by the regrowth of the new biomass used for future biofuel production. The exact amount of CO2 emitted by burning biofuels is reabsorbed by the crops being grown for the sole purpose of biofuel production.

At first glance, this argument looks great, but the problem lies in a hidden assumption that the land used to grow biomass for biofuels would not have already been a carbon sink before it was used for biofuel production.2 Actually, biomass for biofuels would be grown on arable land on which trees, grass, prairies, etc. are already growing, happily absorbing CO2 and helping to reduce the pace of global warming. This carbon sink would have to be removed to grow the biomass for biofuels, which essentially creates a net gain of zero in terms of carbon sink size. When the biofuel is later burned as fuel, this would emit CO2 to the atmosphere, contributing to greenhouse gas emissions and global warming in the same way as fossil fuels. The double counting comes from incorrectly counting the carbon sink from the natural woodlands already in existence on top of the carbon sink from the grown biomass (read Reference 2 below for more details on this argument - it's not intuitive at first but well worth thinking about!).
And this is just the start of the problem.

Please read this:

https://www.worldenergydata.org/biofuels/

Haakon

Yeah, and then there’s all the orangutan killing palm oil ending up in European diesel to meet biodiesel content mandates. All good fun :)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No solutions mean we need to stop consuming until we have solutions.

That's how this problem needs to be addressed.

But no-one wants to stop the NOW, they don't seem to give a shit about the FUTURE.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Explain to me the solutions that could be implemented to allow existing energy demands to be met with 50% emission reductions in the next decade.

All solutions I know about simply emit more CO2, either in manufacturing, transitional phasing or bullshit accounting.

If all electricity production was transitioned to 100% renewables in a decade (impossible) it would resolve only 30% of the energy-producing CO2 segments and produce untold CO2 emissions in the manufacturing & transition phase.

And the world cannot create an EV to replace every ICE - there are not enough mines producing enough raw materials to do this.

Don't live in la-la land - we need to reduce consumption. It's the only solution we have available.

Haakon

There’s a bunch of stuff in that one to unpick but I’m going to bed...

But the tools are at hand. Humans took ten years of effort to go to the moon in the 60s - it’s going to take all first world nations expanding that effort, wealth and that level of national unity. And more.

Good luck with that...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Umm. Huh...?

It’s just organic chemistry 101, pretty simple.

Co2 split to CO and O via a catalytic process. CO and H2 is turned into the hydrocarbon chain length of your choice via Fischer Troph.

ICAO certified synthetic fuel for use in commercial aviation years ago, but it’s currently with H2 and CO from gasification of coal and biomass.

It’s the source of base stock for Shell Helix engine oils too. Mostly because Shell has a gas plant in the Middle East they had excess capacity at, but they make the base synthetically using this method. It’s good oil...
And you don't get it. At all.

Haakon

Ok. I have been in this game a while, but I can see I’m not convincing you. Your mates website is good, but I fear youre not taking some of the messages right. Not sure.

But can I with all due respect suggest that hoping for a wholesale reduction of consumption is living in la la land... just not going to happen short of a useful plague and or collapse of civilisation.

Haakon

Yeah I’ve seen a few of those sort of things, it’s what I mean that it takes an Apollo program level of national investment of money and effort.

But with the world the way it is these days, it’s just not going to happen....