Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ok. I have been in this game a while, but I can see I’m not convincing you. Your mates website is good, but I fear youre not taking some of the messages right. Not sure.

But can I with all due respect suggest that hoping for a wholesale reduction of consumption is living in la la land... just not going to happen short of a useful plague and or collapse of civilisation.
Huh? That Google Drive link ain’t anything to do with my mate’s website.

I am stating that in order to achieve 50% reduction in CO2 emissions in a decade we will need to:

1/ reduce consumption by a huge order of magnitude
2/ implement new tech

You seem to be arguing we could achieve a 50% reduction just by #2. That’s utter bullshit.

And talking about the moon landing like it’s what it takes to solve CC. No it’s not. It was a single nation attempting & achieving a singular task with no necessary major political, societal or lifestyle changes. Apples & oranges.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I know.

I agree. I’m just saying it’s not going to happen.

We could, again not going happen.

I didn’t, I said that’s the sort of “unifying” focus and more that’s required by the whole world. Not one country, all of them. Again, not going to happen.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
No solutions mean we need to stop consuming until we have solutions.

That's how this problem needs to be addressed.

But no-one wants to stop the NOW, they don't seem to give a shit about the FUTURE.
Just to unimaginatively reiterate thinks that have probably already been stated 47 times in this thread - it'd be nice if necessity didn't have to force our collective hand into action.

But we all know that's not going to happen. Only collective of climate change induced disasters is going to get the motivation underway to make a change (like the Arab Spring but on a much bigger scale - my money is on a new strain of bacteria wiping out half the world's wheat crop). Of course by then it's probably too late.

What shits me to tears is the mentality even amongst supposedly "environmentally conscious" people I know is fucked. One example: my TV broke recently. I sent it to a repairer and was quoted near $500 to fix it. Which I went ahead with to the collective gasps of everyone who thought I was out of my mind for not just binning it and buying a new one....

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Fixing stuff is fun anyway. Sorted the door catch on our 20yo microwave which would otherwise have condemned it. Fixed a 1950s Mixmaster Kirsty got cheap (damn it’s a beautifully build machine!!). Learnt about sewing machines last year too, sorting out a problem with an old Netti - also an engineering marvel.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It’s the most efficient way to heat a home.

Keeping the heat in is a result of how well I’ve built the place. Could have done better in the end but it’s pretty damn good!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Fuckitty fuck.

Tech ain’t fixing this alone. Only immediate rationing can help us achieve the 1.5c goal.

Bit hard with cheap airfares & doing whatever you want.

Up the creeks without a paddle we are. Enjoy the party while it lasts.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It's actually good for net CO2 emissions if you take a 100 year old tree, cut it down, turn it into heirloom furniture and then plant a replacement tree. Its a good way to get CO2 out of the environment. It's such a pity that this is probably not the fate of such trees...

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's actually good for net CO2 emissions if you take a 100 year old tree, cut it down, turn it into heirloom furniture and then plant a replacement tree. Its a good way to get CO2 out of the environment. It's such a pity that this is probably not the fate of such trees...
A lot of replanted saplings die and they need a lot of water to get up to a decent size, you're also destroying the natural habitat for wild animals. Only certain cuts and types of timber are any good for valuable furniture that's worth hanging onto.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A brilliant summary of the shit we are in:

Anyone still on the fence?
What I don't understand is why you feel this way and are satisfied to continue as you do? Is it cognitive dissonance or ennui?

You already know that people won't reduce consumption to the required levels. You yourself just bought a while stack of imported materials for your house.

Carbon pricing is the most economically efficient way of achieving reductions but they are not applied anywhere near the levels that are required.

So whats the point of harping to the converted in this thread?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Freediver

I can go full Karen
No when you clearfell native forest only a tiny percentage is actually usable timber. The rest is burnt. That 100 year old tree may have made it to over 500 years. Very little furniture lasts that long.
It takes centuries for young forest to lock up the same amount of carbon as mature forest.