Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Like all the possible systems it can work. I havent looked at anything beyond feasibility info so not sure how it will translate from pilot to commercial. A fair amount of infrastructure for modest output but we have to do stuff! Keeping mirrors clean is a real pita though for this and photovoltaic systems. I did look at a project that put about 30MW into an existing boiler here. The project was not completed. Numbers didnt really stack up.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
We need to colonise Mars - simply because we'll need to develop the technology required to survive on that planet, and then be able to use it on this planet.

Poop potatoes!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've given up on caring. This is the industrial revolution or end of the Edo period of our time. It is just a change to the way of life that the next generation will only ever know as normal and those of us fighting it will be as out of touch as the early haters of rock and roll or long hair on men. As such I plan to just live it up and say fuck it to carbon counting!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've given up on caring. This is the industrial revolution or end of the Edo period of our time. It is just a change to the way of life that the next generation will only ever know as normal and those of us fighting it will be as out of touch as the early haters of rock and roll or long hair on men. As such I plan to just live it up and say fuck it to carbon counting!
likewise...

I still want a Tesla though :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Because you are in a position to do so.

Watch that DW video I posted, tell those kids you are responding that way.
I believe the children are the future. Burn up the earth and let them deal with it...

I'll wager that song wouldn't have been as big of a hit if it had been written along those lines.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Just another day where most people don't think shit about anything:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/08/alaska-warmest-month-ever-july-2019-sea-ice

“We are seeing record after record after record,” said Marco Tedesco, a climate scientist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, of the heat and melting episodes.

“It looks like the worst case scenario put forward by the IPCC [International Panel on Climate Change] could be an underestimate because we are seeing ice melting now that we expected 30 to 40 years from now. It’s alarming because it’s very fast-paced and the consequences are hard to predict.”

Arctic sea ice accumulates over winter before receding as temperatures start to rise in spring. The unusually hasty retreat of ice in 2019 has been prompted by persistent southerly winds, storms and high temperatures roiling both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. Across the Arctic, July set a new record low for sea ice extent, at 2.93m sq miles.
SNAFU.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
1990 right? Saw them at the Old Greek Theatre. One of my earliest and best gigs ever.
Released 89, a mate and I saw them at every gig they played that we could get to in 91-92. Amazing live band. Part of what formed some of the attitudes I have had since, a lot of good messages in their songs.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just in case you weren't convinced that NSW is committed to reducing greenhouse emissions today's local headline should help. The NSW Gov't has declared the construction of a sizeable gas import terminal in Newcastle one of their highest priorities, and at just $589 million it's a bargain! The terminal will deliver about 80% of the state's LPG needs...

We are already the leading source of coal based emissions globally so this endeavour should dovetail in nicely.

Is gas a lower emissions fuel? Lower enough to be worth this kind of investment? Australia used to produce a lot of gas, what happened? There is a company doing seismic tests off shore here for gas reserves, something that caused a bit of a ruffling and has been attributed to lower whale numbers this season. How much gas do we need? I may have missed something where gas will save us all...

How much solar/wind/hydro infrastructure does that kind of money buy?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Just in case you weren't convinced that NSW is committed to reducing greenhouse emissions today's local headline should help. The NSW Gov't has declared the construction of a sizeable gas import terminal in Newcastle one of their highest priorities, and at just $589 million it's a bargain! The terminal will deliver about 80% of the state's LPG needs...

We are already the leading source of coal based emissions globally so this endeavour should dovetail in nicely.

Is gas a lower emissions fuel? Lower enough to be worth this kind of investment? Australia used to produce a lot of gas, what happened? There is a company doing seismic tests off shore here for gas reserves, something that caused a bit of a ruffling and has been attributed to lower whale numbers this season. How much gas do we need? I may have missed something where gas will save us all...

How much solar/wind/hydro infrastructure does that kind of money buy?
This isnt about emissions, its just about keeping the lights on as it were. Ever since LNG (not LPG) was opened to international markets, domestic supply is simply another customer and needs to pay market rates.

If they get a better price shipping it, thats what they do - welcome to free markets (or something....).

Its making sense to buy it cheap on the international market - we may end up shipping in russian gas when demand is low in the northern hemisphere. Just shows how cheap it is to ship stuff....

Victoria is doing the same thing now that Bass Straight is drying up and there is still a ban on onshore gas to protect groundwater.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My bad - LPG autopilot, yes natural gas.

I know this is about cash money, but surely...with everything people are coming to accept, the nearly 600 million would be better spent on future proofing supply with future fuels?

I know that's a bit of a silly thought, the nsw state governement did blow about that much to run a tram for about 2.7km down the main street here...nothing like a good dose of 1930's thinking. Not to forget their similar George St fiasco.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I know this is about cash money, but surely...with everything people are coming to accept, the nearly 600 million would be better spent on future proofing supply with future fuels?
Better spent?

If this govt was serious about tackling CC, there would be NO more FF expansion of any sort. The end.

We need to reduce emissions now, at 4.5% per annum, to have a modicum of hope. A modicum.

I wish people would read & comprehend the size of the issue in front of us. There. Is. No. Compromise.