Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
it can be solved relatively easily, yes....but will it?
I have worked in and around data centers and server rooms for over 20 years, and I can assure you that with all the new dig tech around these days, the amount of energy used is mind boggling..the amount of heat rejection required is out of control, to the point where data center operators and lease owners cannot keep up with the cooling demand required, servers get smaller so they can jam more racks and cabling into the existing space, this puts more strain on refrigerated equipment like HVAC Chillers, cooling towers and CRAC units
there has been a major shift to free cooling in data centers in recent times, but this is only practical in new or extensions to existing infrastructure, not currently running installations, and to shut down and relocate digital services so major upgrades can take place, its not always practical..not to mention service outages=loss of big$$$

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Did you read the report? It argues energy reductions have already happened.

Anything powered by electricity is solvable.

Worry about the energy production directly from FF that needs to be transitioned to electricity & then moved to clean electricity.

Back of coaster calculations shows my employer responsible for 0.2% of Straya’s electricity demand. The big one 1.0%. I’m aware of the impact but it’s far from our major concern.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I still question the sensibility of allowing each house to research, purchase & install the most appropriate solar array. Chances are it goes wrong as much as it goes right.

I think it would be a better prospect to allow independent experts to install neighbourhood arrays, all links from each house roof, maintained centrally.

Something better must exist between the individual & the massive corporation.
Micro grids

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Micro grids
it still baffles me as to why the fcuk we still cover our homes in concrete roof tiles, why doesn't someone invent a roof tile profile solar panel, that clips together like a standard concrete one..the thermal mass reduction and the 2 tonne of concrete not sitting above your home surely can't be that bad a thing, more robust as they can be made of toughened glass that won't degrade over time, and they can be connected in series/parallel for a more reliable system.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
it still baffles me as to why the fcuk we still cover our homes in concrete roof tiles, why doesn't someone invent a roof tile profile solar panel, that clips together like a standard concrete one.

Haakon

it still baffles me as to why the fcuk we still cover our homes in concrete roof tiles, why doesn't someone invent a roof tile profile solar panel, that clips together like a standard concrete one..the thermal mass reduction and the 2 tonne of concrete not sitting above your home surely can't be that bad a thing, more robust as they can be made of toughened glass that won't degrade over time, and they can be connected in series/parallel for a more reliable system.
https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/solarroof

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
well i'll be fcuked, good pickup..
its just a shame that creepy peado Elon and his mates have produced it, at least we know it will have some sort passion backing it though
this needs to happen, I have been chewing on this idea for many years

Freediver

I can go full Karen
They exist. Normal roof and panels is still cheaper though not by much.
beaten by haakon, that's sad.

Haakon

Id buy them.
Me too. Surely they’ll pay themselves off in not too long. And they’re apparently meant to be tough and longer lasting than “normal” solar panels.

For a new build house you intend to stay in long term they’d be a no brainer surely.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Insulation can't shed heat from the thermal mass, it's there to stop it from heating up in the first place. Obviously over the course of an extended heatwave the sun wins. Using materials with less thermal mass means things will shed heat quicker, but then will retain less in winter when needed.

As mentioned by @fatboyonabike, ventilation is an important factor.

All of these things are tradeoffs; building materials and design need to suit the site orientation and climate. Not everyone has the luxury to change that.
I've proven this theory wrong in workshops many times in Qld summers.. If you place an industrial fan by the window on the western side windows of a large shed on an afternoon of a hot summers day it actually heats the shed up because you drawing hot air from outside. If you don't believe me try it with a thermometer.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I've proven this theory wrong in workshops many times in Qld summers.. If you place an industrial fan by the window on the western side windows of a large shed on an afternoon of a hot summers day it actually heats the shed up because you drawing hot air from outside. If you don't believe me try it with a thermometer.
your doing it wrong
you need to remove the heat, pushing air alone on hot days will not cool you down, it will actually heat you up and dehydrate you
you need to remove the heat energy from the air, try hanging a wet towel over the window you are drawing air from
the towel will dry out eventually, but just give it a hit every now and then with a spray bottle

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not sure what to say to this to be honest.

Flow-Rider

Burner
your doing it wrong
you need to remove the heat, pushing air alone on hot days will not cool you down, it will actually heat you up and dehydrate you
you need to remove the heat energy from the air, try hanging a wet towel over the window you are drawing air from
the towel will dry out eventually, but just give it a hit every now and then with a spray bottle
I wouldn't have time for that sort of stuff and bosses would most likely shoot you for wasting their time and thank fuck I don't work in many workshops anymore, it's ok in the morning but comes afternoon with the heat different story but it actually heats the workshop up by 2 degrees.