Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah Brisbane completely different climate.
Thermal mass works well with big diurnal variations where summer goes from 15 deg 6 am to 32 deg 4pm which is about our average .
Not great when 20 to 40 deg.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if its double brick with a cavity that can be accessed at top and bottom, I would be trying to get some ventilation through it, be it forced or convection flow
As the air space inside the cavity heats up, it will migrate to the cooler part of the space, either under the house or into the roof space, then it can be vented outside.
thermal mass is great if allowed to work correctly.

MARKL

Eats Squid
The thermal mass of double brick can be a double edged sword , especially in long periods of hot weather. In a new build you would insulate the inner skin of brickwork to stop it heating up.

Flow-Rider

Burner
About 12 years ago at work I had a housing project with some research funds attached as part of a 'green' initiative - we were able to do a lot of thermal modelling - we tried out everything - insulation, orientation, window sizes, different glass types, different construction techniques, materials, trombe walls, different plantings etc.

The big thing that came out of it for me was the basics were most important - orientation and insulation.

The problem with double brick is the thermal mass, once the inner skin of brickwork heats up it radiates the heat back into the house. I think this is why it feels as though the insulation is heating up the house - the heat being radiated by the inner brick skin is being kept in by the insulation.

Without knowing your house you need to look at the western walls and increase the insulation or shade to that wall (particularly if it has a lot of glazing). Same goes for eastern and northern walls to lesser extents. Southern walls are largely irrelevant.

The western side is the hot side. Don't draw air from the hot side, it is only ever going to make it hotter.
I was responding to the 'internet experts' that know jack shit, they said to have airflow and it will cool the house down without asking finer details. House was built in the 70"s by Europeans, very high ceilings and high roof cavity, terra cotta roof tiles, it's not a new house with low ceiling, small roof cavity, single brick with plaster board walls, no window eaves and mandatory aircon install.

Been in the house for many years I noticed the difference first summer after the insulation install many years ago, neighbour has a similar house and even they said the same thing. It's a no brainier, heat comes in through the west and east walls (morning & afternoon sun) hot air rises and heat gets trapped under the ceiling, the air outside is hotter than inside the house so you just heat the house up more. It's no big deal just your typical qld summers. I own and have owned quite a few investment houses over the years, new and old and this one isn't that bad compared to some of the newer ones I've owned, absolutely unlivable without air con in summer. Thanks for the honest reply, I'm not spending money on this house because my time in it is limited, been fighting off developers and local council for the last few years, land rates are also killing me.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
if its double brick with a cavity that can be accessed at top and bottom, I would be trying to get some ventilation through it, be it forced or convection flow
As the air space inside the cavity heats up, it will migrate to the cooler part of the space, either under the house or into the roof space, then it can be vented outside.
thermal mass is great if allowed to work correctly.
Oh yeah sorry, it's a double story too, bottom flat is way cooler in summer than the top. The cavity between the bricks I'm sure the last time I was in the roof is joined to the roof cavity so it does breath a bit. It has some ventilation holes in the brick work on the outside but only the gap thickness in between the brick mortar. Also got a large deciduous pecan nut tree close to the west wall that's been late to bloom because you know, climate heating and lack of rain.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I was responding to the 'internet experts' that know jack shit,
The comments were centred around you writing off home insulation and the renewable energy industry as expensive failures.

A sample size of your own home and workshop vs entire industries?

Don’t think I’ve met Jack.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I was in Rocky I built as smart as possible on a very tight and small budget with a big pergola on the Western side that was the full length on the house and had gardens and plants and a watering system. But Rocky being Rocky it was crazy hot and stayed that way over night. I added thinking caps in the roof and more insulation and the change was dramatic. Still hot but it cooled off quickly.

My current place has a 3m verandah along the North (axis is EW) and Western walls are windowless and insulated. Western end is the garage and a carport west of that. Much betterer. Better house design and much nicer climate.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The comments were centred around you writing off home insulation and the renewable energy industry as expensive failures.

A sample size of your own home and workshop vs entire industries?

Don’t think I’ve met Jack.
People set up businesses just to rort the rebates that's how funny this whole crap is, wasting tax payers money. Insulation not installed correctly, people not trained properly, people died. have a look at the list of solar installers that have gone under, I bet if you were one of those people that had to get your whole solar unit replaced out of your own pocket,it would have been a different story or tell the people's family that lost a loved one from electrocution that it's not of large loss because it was only a few people that it happened to.

When I was in Rocky I built as smart as possible on a very tight and small budget with a big pergola on the Western side that was the full length on the house and had gardens and plants and a watering system. But Rocky being Rocky it was crazy hot and stayed that way over night. I added thinking caps in the roof and more insulation and the change was dramatic. Still hot but it cooled off quickly.

My current place has a 3m verandah along the North (axis is EW) and Western walls are windowless and insulated. Western end is the garage and a carport west of that. Much betterer. Better house design and much nicer climate.
Yeah, I bet you used aircon in the house.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
People set up businesses just to rort the rebates that's how funny this whole crap is, wasting tax payers money. Insulation not installed correctly, people not trained properly, people died. have a look at the list of solar installers that have gone under, I bet if you were one of those people that had to get your whole solar unit replaced out of your own pocket,it would have been a different story or tell the people's family that lost a loved one from electrocution that it's not of large loss because it was only a few people that it happened to.

Yeah, I bet you used aircon in the house.
Absolutely. In both but much much less in Brisbane.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
tell the people's family that lost a loved one from electrocution that it's not of large loss because it was only a few people that it happened to.
I wouldn’t tell anybody any such thing, who would?

16 men died building the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

It’s still a great bridge.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Absolutely. In both but much much less in Brisbane.
If you paid for the insulation yourself I would assume you fitted the appropriate grade insulation and made sure it was installed correctly also, rather than the free stuff and people just say "oh well, it was free" and none of the wiser. One of the spec homes I bought, I had to crawl in the roof to fit an in roof TV antenna, when I got up in the roof I noticed half of the house was cover with insulation with large gaps between it all, straight over the top of down lights too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
People set up businesses just to rort the rebates that's how funny this whole crap is, wasting tax payers money. Insulation not installed correctly, people not trained properly, people died
This sounds like almost every industry or business sector in Australia.

If you paid for the insulation yourself I would assume you fitted the appropriate grade insulation and made sure it was installed correctly also, rather than the free stuff and people just say "oh well, it was free" and none of the wiser. One of the spec homes I bought, I had to crawl in the roof to fit an in roof TV antenna, when I got up in the roof I noticed half of the house was cover with insulation with large gaps between it all, straight over the top of down lights too.
Plenty of Crooks on offer. I received a quote for installation (when this was a thing) and then when the fat arsehole turned up he decided he couldn't fit through the manhole. He suggested I sign off on the job and install the insulation myself! I suggested he fuck off.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In Rocky I fitted it myself and it was heavy high quality rockwool that fell off a truck. In Bris I put R3 in. The guys tried to tell me that I didnt need it over the garage which was at the western end. We had a full and robust discussion. It was fitted properly. I missed out on all the free shit that was being handed out like insulation, rebates, first homebuyers, Rudds plasma tv cheque etc etc.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In Rocky I fitted it myself and it was heavy high quality rockwool that fell off a truck. In Bris I put R3 in. The guys tried to tell me that I didnt need it over the garage which was at the western end. We had a full and robust discussion. It was fitted properly. I missed out on all the free shit that was being handed out like insulation, rebates, first homebuyers, Rudds plasma tv cheque etc etc.
Yeah, that's what they also done in the garage of the spec home.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wouldn’t tell anybody any such thing, who would?

16 men died building the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

It’s still a great bridge.
Without sounding petty & condescending, you're comparing two different industrial eras, one where health & safety depended on yourself with no education on it and the other where it's legally mandatory and enforced.

I worked at a machine shop for a large construction company part-time when I was at school in the 80's and the only requirement was steel capped boots that were those old hard soled T-Boots that crushed your feet and weighed as much as half a brick on both feet. The unions were the only people giving info out on ear plugs and other PPE related issues at the time.

Last edited: