Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

John U

MTB Precision
The ban on single use plastic bags is awesome. Great to finally see some action.

I come from a time when no one wrapped their rubbish in plastic. Bins were simply hosed out when they got a bit stinky. Does the public have the gumption to stop wrapping their rubbish in plastic?

teK--

Eats Squid
The ban on single use plastic bags is awesome. Great to finally see some action.

I come from a time when no one wrapped their rubbish in plastic. Bins were simply hosed out when they got a bit stinky. Does the public have the gumption to stop wrapping their rubbish in plastic?
We use biodegradable rubbish bags for that reason. They are made out of vegetable maze. Cost a lot more than plastic bags but what price is our earth?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I agree w you .
The public think it is so neat and tidy and convenient to use plastic bags it will take a while, like turning around the Queen Mary .
Without penalties like Holland it will take conservative Australians a long time .
Humans seem to think we are entitled to wreck the place.

Jpez

Down on the left!
We now have a worm farm and two compost bins. It is quite amazing how much food and organic matter go into landfill. And walking into coles and seeing individually wrapped fruit and veggies is infuriating. I refuse to buy food like that.
We also use biodegradable bags for the house bin but reuse them too. Gets a bit messy but so what.

I really think The war on waste show has opened a lot of eyes and promoted a lot of discussion. I think that show had a direct impact on the back supermarkets banning plastic bags.

teK--

Eats Squid
I would like to see bike companies lead the way w. reduced senseless bubblewrap , use cardboard /paper or vegetable based wrapping.
It wont happen quickly cos China and the less developed world are still in love w plastic.
Yeah I ordered some gear once that arrived in a box packed with bean fill which was made out of cornmeal... Pretty cool! Rather bland tasting though heh

safreek

I have been stockpiling big, thick heavy duty plastic bags from woolies and coles whilst they are free, hoping to have a couple of years supply by the time they stop.
Yeah, just doing my bit, no thanks necessary

safreek

But seriously what a stupid idea giving them away, cop it sweet or pay.
I originally hated the ban but if a crusty, set in their ways old dude like me can hoard enough bags in the car so I'm never caught out so can you

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's just a flog, so people can feel good about flogging themselves, Australia contributes fuck all to plastic poisoning of the sea. This is your typical plastic that fills the ocean not an abundance of plastic shopping bags.

rubbish.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Given the volume of commercial shipping along the coast here and the population of the coal moonscape valley feeding to 1 outlet and the lake near by, our beaches often look pretty sweet. Hopefully the bottle price will encourage some people to scavenge the plastic that washes up.

John U

MTB Precision
It's just a flog, so people can feel good about flogging themselves, Australia contributes fuck all to plastic poisoning of the sea. This is your typical plastic that fills the ocean not an abundance of plastic shopping bags.

View attachment 346148
Can you give me a couple of good reasons for wrapping rubbish in plastic? I can’t remember when it became a thing. I’m guessing some marketing flogs from Glad or somewhere similar came up with it, ‘Let’s tell the masses that they need to start wrapping their rubbish in our plastic bin liners’. It took about 30 years for it to be embraced by the entire western world.
The marketing was so successful that when the environmental action suggests a plastic bag ban they don’t even consider garbage bags. This would have to be one of the most successful marketing’s of a completely unneccessary item ever. Which is pretty exceptional given the amount of unneccessary shit they try to sell us.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Can you give me a couple of good reasons for wrapping rubbish in plastic? I can’t remember when it became a thing. I’m guessing some marketing flogs from Glad or somewhere similar came up with it, ‘Let’s tell the masses that they need to start wrapping their rubbish in our plastic bin liners’. It took about 30 years for it to be embraced by the entire western world.
The marketing was so successful that when the environmental action suggests a plastic bag ban they don’t even consider garbage bags. This would have to be one of the most successful marketing’s of a completely unneccessary item ever. Which is pretty exceptional given the amount of unneccessary shit they try to sell us.
My local council requires that residents put their general household rubbish in plastic bags. I'd been using the supermarket bags for this for years - now I'll have to buy some fkn bin liner bags. swapping one lot of plastic for another - just an absolute joke.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hygienic reason for one but that's not the issue here, it's the banning of shopping bags only. Same argument as to why drive a car when you can walk and I don't see them banning cars in a hurry. Most people I know will just buy bin liner bags because it's more convenient for them.

Given the volume of commercial shipping along the coast here and the population of the coal moonscape valley feeding to 1 outlet and the lake near by, our beaches often look pretty sweet. Hopefully the bottle price will encourage some people to scavenge the plastic that washes up.
You still get rubbish wash up, you'll find someone is picking all the shit up and it normally collects in mounds on the headlands. I spend months at a time in a holiday home at Rainbow beach and locals go out early every morning pick it all up, things like beach towels, shirts, thongs, fishing floats, parts of commercial fishing nets, plastic bottles of all sorts.

John U

MTB Precision
Hygienic reasons? How is carrying a bucket full of rubbish to a wheelie bin less hygienic than moving the same waste to a wheelie bin in a bag?
The only difference I can see is the bucket doesn’t make the trip to the wheelie bin when a bag is used.
The bucket might need the occasional hose out. No more drama than hosing out a compost bucket on the odd occasion.

I get what you’re saying. My wife thinks the same and I am losing that battle here. I’ll challenge the logic when the store of shopping bags run out. I’m giving the logic a bit of a test run and refinement here.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The rest of the country needs to adopt SA & NT's 10c refund on bottle/cans/cartons ect... there's not a bottle or can anywhere here in SA. Even if you accidently leave an empty bottle or can sitting somewhere, it will be gone the next day.

Depending on beer intake, a visit to the can recyclers can fund another half carton, thats if the kids don't claim it.

Its a small step in the right direction but the disposable shit these days, coffee cups, food containers, plastic/polystyrene packing... a long way to go.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The rest of the country needs to adopt SA & NT's 10c refund on bottle/cans/cartons ect... there's not a bottle or can anywhere here in SA. Even if you accidently leave an empty bottle or can sitting somewhere, it will be gone the next day.

Depending on beer intake, a visit to the can recyclers can fund another half carton, thats if the kids don't claim it.

Its a small step in the right direction but the disposable shit these days, coffee cups, food containers, plastic/polystyrene packing... a long way to go.
I'm pretty sure they have for bottles and cans. It is definitely in NSW now. The number of people is see going around and looting house hold recycling bins is huge.

The big hold back for a long time was...you guessed it the companies that didn't want to undertake the expense of changing their packaging.

Also if you are having trouble going bagless on the bins from fear of good, you can line it with newspaper or keep newspaper near by to wrap the gooey stuff up before placing it in your bin. Keep a can of glen20 or similar near by and give the bin a quick spray between loads to reduce how often you need to wash it.