Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

stirk

Burner
I'm happy to say I have never heard of or been a victim of a top tank!

Thinking about getting a few larger tanks for rain water too, it's bloody dry at the moment.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Abit like what the airport does.................
or any large public building
That's changing:
https://businessrecycling.com.au/documents/doc-1383-what-s-the-deal-br-report-final.pdf
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-03/recycling-food-waste-melbourne-precinct/7474714

The Uni campus I work on has made significant inroads to reduce waste and recycle what waste there is, as are the other Uni's in town.

Monash's Centre for Green Technology is but one research facility doing a lot of work on food and general consumer waste recycling and waste to energy systems (http://www.sustainability.vic.gov.a...-national-research-centre-to-fight-food-waste, https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/EF/Areas/Low-emissions-technologies/Bioenergy).

All of the govt. offices and research farms I work at also have major recycle programs and education in place.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Adelaide just hit 46.4, hottest day ever - 1939's 46.1 has been trumped! Take that old people and your "it was hotter back in the [insert decade]'s"

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Far out, thats bloody hot. I've been in 42 degrees in Kamloops but 46? Far out.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
One small thing you can do, is choose not to bank with those that invest in fossil fuels.
I can't find it, but I read an opinion piece a while ago that looked at the different actions people could take wrt to investments and banking. It' an interesting read because it highlighted some strange things that most people might not have thought about.

For example; if you choose not to bank with those that invest in fossil fuels, that might have a slight impact (if enough people join) on their ability to finance fossil fuels. Now there are a number of problems with this approach. Firstly by you moving your money around, all you are doing is displacing investment in the financial market. That is you might move your money to a ethical bank that does ethical investments only. If you think about it, all you have done is increase aggregate demand for ethical investments and hence puts pressure on their price (up) and yields (down). The opposite happens to fossil fuels, their aggregate demand (for the company, not the fuel) decreases and thus either price goes down and/or yields go up.

The same thing is true for moving your super into ethical investment funds but even worse. All trading stock does is simply move money from one investor to another. The company doesn't actually experience real change except maybe a larger market cap due to increased popularity. But in the end the yields still win out. The only real impact is it might persuade more companies to change their operations to a more ethical one - however for fossil fuels there is no real way to do this.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'm probably more concerned about my money (which in the scheme of things is very little ;) ) being lent out to fund enterprise I don't agree with, and the bank that holds it making money from that. Its more principle than investment strategy.

I ended up moving my CBA and ING accounts to BankAust, with whom I've been happy with thus far. Still have my Bankwest CC which irks me, but its really hard to find a comparable card for travel and international stuff.

Adelaide 47.1 btw....

John U

MTB Precision
If no one invests in that steaming hot turd Adani project then it won’t get up (unless some fucking wacked out govt decides to invest in it).

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If no one invests in that steaming hot turd Adani project then it won’t get up (unless some fucking wacked out govt decides to invest in it).
Lol I don't think anyone with sense would fund that. New renewable technology is much cheaper than coal and that includes adani. The market is greedy but not stupid. The investments for coal only stack up for existing assets.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Far out, thats bloody hot. I've been in 42 degrees in Kamloops but 46? Far out.
Kept wickets for 140 overs (U/17's in the morning and seniors in the afternoon) one day when it was around 46. Not alot of fun to be honest.

Played a 35 over game last Sunday when it was 43. Didn't seem that hot strangely enough, was forecast to get to 39 and I assumed it hadn't got that high.

John U

MTB Precision
Lol I don't think anyone with sense would fund that. New renewable technology is much cheaper than coal and that includes adani. The market is greedy but not stupid. The investments for coal only stack up for existing assets.
But look at our government, and the pressure they were applying to the banks to fund it. I think people power had a considerable influence making banks go the way of common sense on Adani.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Wah wah - its hot...

Well science has been telling us this will happen - it's called standard deviation shift & temps are now experienced that simply didn't occur in times past.

I can find a similar SH comparison (this is northern hemisphere).

I wonder what might be causing this?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Here’s another chart:

Maths ‘n shit. Eat it up, peeps!
You're preaching to the converted. Find a way to translate that into middle 'stralian and we might be able to get some change locally. I have zero hope for the US.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So we've all seen those standard deviation graphs? I hadn't until recently.

Most of us are uninformed.
I'm more of a circle kind of guy. Charts were so -pre-CC!

I think we are still miles off and basically too late to try to 'convert' deniers - takes too much time and we should just legislate and plan through them. Even if you can get them up to speed on CC and have them believe, they still have to go through the process of understanding what impacts are and the best options to reduce - most people in the first instance blames everyone else for example. For example the classic - but China and Straya is a tiny fish in the ocean.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No one believes in anthropologically forced climate change. Many of us understand it though.

This is not a matter of belief, its not the bloody tooth fairy we're talking about...