Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Kids need to learn to just shut up and take what the authorities tell them to. It is a lot less painful when you get to adult life and are part of the problem...the futility of resistance is so disappointing.

John U

MTB Precision
Research who she is & what she’s about.

She is an astonishing individual.
I know of her, and her Nobel prize nomination. Never heard her speak before. She has the ability to get the message across clearer than I’ve ever heard anyone else deliver it. Future leader for sure. We need leaders like this now.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

“People are shocked, but … they should be angry,” he adds. “The consequences will grow year by year, and stuff we were warning people about 20 years ago is now coming to fruition and is impossible to deny, unless you are wilfully blind.

“Bullshit baffles brains, but only temporarily and we’ve gone through a period in Australia and the US where people have been able to lie … But we’re in a different world now, a world where people are living with climate change consequences, and bullshit is no longer baffling brains, and so we are about to see a big shift.”

One transformation he’s seen is farmers changing from being deniers to advocates for action. “People see extreme weather events and don’t just think this is an odd occurrence, they see it as part of the longer-term trajectory of change that’s going to bring about more and more adverse consequences unless something is done,” he says.
I have nothing to add to this...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
My mate has just published Straya:

https://www.worldenergydata.org/australia/

Summary:

Australia was founded on misery, as a penal colony, and successive Australian federal governments have conducting themselves in a miserable manner preventing the reduction of emissions, and not telling the truth to the Australian people. Future misery has now been sown by Australia’s fossil fuels exports, so aggressively encouraged that the country now leads the world in coal, gas and iron ore exports. But this isn’t enough – the federal government is promoting more. What is this place?
We are beyond woeful. Go us!

Anyone see this?

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ing-most-severe-weve-ever-seen-scientists-say

Researchers have documented what they are describing as the most severe coral bleaching to hit the world’s southern-most reef at Lord Howe Island.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
His detail on existing & proposed coal & LNG production puts into perspective all this "STOP ADANI" nonsense.

I see Adani as a smokescreen - look over here, if you have to get riled about something get riled over this! We want to control the narrative!

And in the meantime, rape & pillage continues.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I had to stop reading after the detail of Gorgon and skip over that section as about to cook dinner but fuck me that's some gas. Worse is lots of people believe gas is better than coal but the inputs seem to be left out of that equation.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I haven't seen this new Netflix documentary, but this review (from the very astute Ed Yong) makes it sound like its long overdue.

It does what no other natural-history documentary has done. It forces viewers to acknowledge their own complicity in the destruction of nature, in the moment. It feels sad, but also right.
If you muted the series, it would look almost identical to any other wildlife documentary. You could sit back, content and relaxed, gawping at nature’s splendor. But Our Planet seems to have no interest in letting you be contented. Though the film is still entertaining and beautiful, its narration imparts its shots with a more complex emotional flavor. It’s like watching an American drug ad during which a voice-over reads out lists of horrific side effects over footage of frolicking, picnicking families.

Frankly, it’s about time.

John U

MTB Precision
Coral bleaching on such a large scale as what occurred to the GBR is the beginning of ecosystem collapse. As is repeated bushfires in areas before the bush as had time to recover, and millions of fish dying in the Murray Darling. It’s a downhill run from here.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Coral bleaching on such a large scale as what occurred to the GBR is the beginning of ecosystem collapse. As is repeated bushfires in areas before the bush as had time to recover, and millions of fish dying in the Murray Darling. It’s a downhill run from here.
Feedback loops are a bitch...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Feedback loops are a bitch...
At this stage, we really are not in a feedback loop. We are just on a self-perpetuating destruction path.

Calling this a feedback loop dismisses the fact that we are causing the problem, not that the problem has yet run out of our hands.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
At this stage, we really are not in a feedback loop. We are just on a self-perpetuating destruction path.

Calling this a feedback loop dismisses the fact that we are causing the problem, not that the problem has yet run out of our hands.
You can't say that the problem hasn't already run out of our hands until you make a genuine attempt to control it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

The feedback loops started kicking in back in the 70s, they're just really starting to bite now!

But the feedback loops are the self perpetuating destruction - they're the shifts in the balance we made that are starting to feed off themselves. We keep adding to the issue and turning up the volume, just making them spiral faster.

Its a sort of exponential path though - slowly slowly for a while and then all hell breaks loose. Should be a fun ride :)