Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

John U

MTB Precision
Just saw that. We are ruled by cvnts. Droughts across Queensland? Yeah, who gives a fuck. Let’s build a greenhouse gas producing behemoth waste a fucktonne of valuable artesian water doing it, to extract a product no one will want.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Finished work early and attended near by cafe to unwind. Side walk dining and I happen to be next to a prius. How nice it was when the owners started it up and drove away compared to a conventional automobile. There was almoat no noise deafening me and no exhaust choking me. This is a future we can all enjoy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Toyota have announced they will have an electric or hybrid option for all their vegicles by 2025. I want a hybrid 4wd. Sadly most people I know who are 4wders hate the idea as too complex etc. Have they looked at a modern 4wd?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Toyota have announced they will have an electric or hybrid option for all their vegicles by 2025. I want a hybrid 4wd. Sadly most people I know who are 4wders hate the idea as too complex etc. Have they looked at a modern 4wd?
Serious 4wd'ers will look at the torque numbers. It'll be no contest eventually.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So get one, I did. Tows a tonne and a half no dramas. Naturally this doesn't suit the agenda of the COALition and the Murdoch press who thinks that person in Australia has a three tonne boat or caravan sitting in the back yard that gets hauled out every weekend, and that hybrids and electric cars are hideously expensive, whereas of course a crew cab Hilux ute or equivalent is as cheap as chips...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Range and towing is the only thing that is a bit of a grey area, other than that it's a no brainer to make a electric 4x4.
Rivian has an awesome looking pickup (ute:rolleyes:) and SUV with really clever ideas. They run 4 hub motors which allow individual torque to each wheel, one wheel could even run in reverse to the others if needed and it runs a perfectly flat underbody. It's just too expensive for the everyday person. Need something like an electric Hilux, I would be straight on board with that.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So get one, I did. Tows a tonne and a half no dramas. Naturally this doesn't suit the agenda of the COALition who thinks that every person in Australia has a three tonne boat or caravan sitting in the back yard that gets hauled out every weekend...
That's cool - whats it like? They sell reasonably well in europe, but I've only seen a handful here - even in the lefty haven that is Canberra.

I tried really hard to convince someone here at work to get one as she was so set on an SUV "because second kid" :rolleyes: (I really tried to get her to buy a safe car like a Skoda Superb wagon instead on something that will roll easily and kill them all...). But alas she got a Pathfinder - the perfect blend of mediocre and grotesque.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
That's cool - whats it like? They sell reasonably well in europe, but I've only seen a handful here - even in the lefty haven that is Canberra.
Great, a really flexible primary family car. We've got two kids, and it's got plenty of space for all the usual weekly activities and road trips. Ours is the older 2014 model and has a realistic electric range of 40-45km depending on driving speed and climate control use. Probably 80-85% of all our driving is electric only, we've put 40K km on the clock and our lifetime fuel usage is sitting at 3.5l/100km. With the battery exhausted and driving at highway speeds it still averages around 7-7.5L/100km, which I reckon is pretty decent for a largish petrol SUV. I don't clearly don't fit into ScoMos utopian Australian family, in that I don't haul around 3 tonnes worth of boat or caravan every weekend, but I do have a 6 x 4 box trailer that gets frequent use for firewood and garden mulch/ waste hauling duties which the car does without breaking a sweat.

I reckon it would also actually be a reasonably capable 4WD with decent tires (stock ones are road economy focussed) and lifted suspension, as it has an electronic diff lock option which splits power between evenly between the front and rear electric axle motors.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The Toyota Rav4 hybrid is out in May too
Yep. Its the only powertrain available in europe, and has been popular in the US for the whole of the current model run.

Subaru do a PHEV XV and Outback in the US as well.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So get one, I did. Tows a tonne and a half no dramas. Naturally this doesn't suit the agenda of the COALition and the Murdoch press who thinks that person in Australia has a three tonne boat or caravan sitting in the back yard that gets hauled out every weekend, and that hybrids and electric cars are hideously expensive, whereas of course a crew cab Hilux ute or equivalent is as cheap as chips...
I said 4wd. And I need more towing capacity.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Labour (and liberals from last year) want 50% of sales to be electric. No problem, you'll just be one of the 50% buying an ICE. All good.
Having difficulty comprehending what I wrote over two posts? I will pass on that Mitsubishi (who refer to it as an SUV) as it will not do any of the jobs I have a 4wd for but i will have a petrol hybrid / electric 4wd if it meets my criteria. I think that is coming in the next generation if the spies are on the money.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Dude, that was a whole day ago...

I reckon a hybrid Hilux would be a good thing. A battery pack may even put some more weight in it down low and help it pass the moose test for a change!