Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Emissions standards for small engines and outboards were introduced. It’s a tech neutral standard, but the upshot is that two strokes will not meet them. Expect to see two stroke mowers and grass trimmers etc to vanish soon.

I have already told people they can borrow your 4 stroke brushcutter.

Levys do shit. Like paying higher wage rates for unsafe work.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have already told people they can borrow your 4 stroke brushcutter.

Levys do shit. Like paying higher wage rates for unsafe work.
My brush cutter is an old cheap ryobi two stroke... $10 off eBay about 15 years ago, still going :)

Basically this was about bringing us up to standards already in place in most places. It’s aimed at stopping the cheap shit from China being dumped here.

It was an easy sell to industry, the big names generally meet the standards anyway and this knocks out their low price competitors.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
With my lifmited experiece with High performance two strokes vs high performance 4 stroke dirtbikes, I’m not sure 4 strokes are much better. You dump 1.2L oil every 20hrs run time, filters every second pil change, full motor/gearbox rebuild at 80hrs with alot more parts that need to be manufactured. And costs more for the end user too.
Look at what beta are doing with the rpm sensitive oil injection, and the new KTM’s with direct injection smokers.

Honestly, I used more oil and consumables when I was using my ktm 525exc regularly compared to my ktm 125SX. I raced the 125 regularly too.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
With my lifmited experiece with High performance two strokes vs high performance 4 stroke dirtbikes, I’m not sure 4 strokes are much better. You dump 1.2L oil every 20hrs run time, filters every second pil change, full motor/gearbox rebuild at 80hrs with alot more parts that need to be manufactured. And costs more for the end user too.
Look at what beta are doing with the rpm sensitive oil injection, and the new KTM’s with direct injection smokers.

Honestly, I used more oil and consumables when I was using my ktm 525exc regularly compared to my ktm 125SX. I raced the 125 regularly too.
That’s motorcycles...Small engines for tools are very different animals.

slowmick

38-39"
Mower man warned years ago to keep the mower serviced and running well as new ones would have catalytic converters and be crap. Next one will be battery.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My brush cutter is an old cheap ryobi two stroke... $10 off eBay about 15 years ago, still going :)

Basically this was about bringing us up to standards already in place in most places. It’s aimed at stopping the cheap shit from China being dumped here.

It was an easy sell to industry, the big names generally meet the standards anyway and this knocks out their low price competitors.
My mistake, thought that was your Aldi purchase, need to read proper.

Follow a 2 stroke outboard at water level and a 4 stroke. Massive difference.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Worth watching:

But still effectively says nothing...as solving electrical grid CO2 emissions is the low hanging fruit...never mind the 70% remaining from transport, agriculture & the rest.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
IPBES report came out overnight. An incredibly important document, and a point for change. This is what needs to be listened to and acted upon.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Sweet. They have partly resolved CC emissions for 30% of their energy needs.

It's good, but it's scratching the surface.

But if Straya ever got there I'd be astonished.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sweet. They have partly resolved CC emissions for 30% of their energy needs.

It's good, but it's scratching the surface.

But if Straya ever got there I'd be astonished.
Oh left green commie! There's money in coal and we can't just let that go for something that is just a myth and dream. Coal is real and tangible and the earth is filled with!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah - this video was posted knowing that the BBC fuckers would take it down again.

There are a LOT of people pissed off this is not freely available for the sake of humanity...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
A good summary of the utter fallacy around biomass energy production:

Remember this kids - biomass energy production is bullshit accounting.

BTW, I watched the BBC vid via nefarious means last night. Please do so too...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
My mistake, thought that was your Aldi purchase, need to read proper.

Follow a 2 stroke outboard at water level and a 4 stroke. Massive difference.
well this is another bullshit argument!..
its like saying follow a 1976 datsun 120y and compare it to a bmw 5 series
your argument is not like for like
my boat has a direct oil injection 2 stroke, and it seems to be a damn sight cleaner and more efficient than the 4 bangers out there on the lake!