Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's less than a minute long!!!
Haha ok I watched it and yes I agree. It's why I don't support stupid 100% renewable targets period. We'd have made so much more progress if the Greens didn't play on pyschology and instead advocated for a sensible 80% target for example. Half of the arguments about 'how will 100% renewables handle xxx'will simply not exist.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Funny thing about software is that it needs hardware, and hardware needs power
Yeah as someone who has built web apps and sites for nearly 25 years I thought in the early days it would have environmental benefits but it's now so big that it has gone the other way. Did online shopping prevent enough car trips to balance the servers output or did increased consumption kill that off because stuff is cheaper and people will now fly four items from different places around the world to save 20 bucks?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Did online shopping prevent enough car trips to balance the servers output or did increased consumption kill that off because stuff is cheaper and people will now fly four items from different places around the world to save 20 bucks?
It definitely increased packaging!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah as someone who has built web apps and sites for nearly 25 years I thought in the early days it would have environmental benefits but it's now so big that it has gone the other way. Did online shopping prevent enough car trips to balance the servers output or did increased consumption kill that off because stuff is cheaper and people will now fly four items from different places around the world to save 20 bucks?
It's stupid where we've ended up.

We order out pet food/litter online, free delivery even to the boonies where we live. Big truck, likely a single reason to come to boonieville.

They dropped the order off at the neighbour's house, in the dark, in the rain, neighbour doesn't live here (holiday house) so we never knew & declared the delivery missing. They delivered another load in another truck to replace the missing order.

Then days later I walked around looking for this mystery first delivery & found it!

They said no worries, we'll send another another truck to pick up the first misplaced order.

Fuck that I said, this is bloody fucking stupid. Charge us for two orders & call it done.

Straya. Where dispatching a truck is the done thing.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I hadn't seen the report but I wasn't talking about the Condamine methane bubbling which I have seen. When the farmers tell you that it has always done that then it is a bit hard to blame something recent. Still quite spectacular to see a waterhole on fire though. I was referring to the nasties that come up with the gas that have to be dealt with. And there is the issue that it can affect artesian supplies. The water returned from fracking is bad.
Whenever a protest or movement uses a lie in order to further their objectives, for me they lose all benefit of doubt. If all you say has truth to it, why use such a piece of video that doesn’t show what it purports to show? Integrity is important .

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Agreed. No idea. I saw the burning Condamine oxbow lake before LNG was a thing in Qld. I also saw a bore before and after fracking.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Did you watch the video above, @Calvin27?

We have one goal & one goal only - 50% reduction in CO2 by 2030 & 100% reduction by 2050 (leaving out the terrifying sequestration requirements).

Nuclear is a tech that'll get us there.
Strictly, in order to get there, we need every single tool we have. Throwing nuclear out because of political difficulties is just tying one hand behind your back

It’s also the point at which the green movement seperate themselves from pragmatists and scientists and energy experts- nuclear is bad mmmk!

And to the other point - as we switch over to renewables, we don’t want to be needing gas to keep the whole thing stable, plus we have to think of far more energy being used in regards to transport, industry etc

Binaural

Eats Squid
Strictly, in order to get there, we need every single tool we have. Throwing nuclear out because of political difficulties is just tying one hand behind your back
"Political difficulties" undersells the problems a bit, don't you think? Nuclear weapons (or dirty conventional weapons) are a pretty terrifying prospect.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
"Political difficulties" undersells the problems a bit, don't you think? Nuclear weapons (or dirty conventional weapons) are a pretty terrifying prospect.
Nuclear weapons don’t have anything to do with nuclear power - that’s like saying steel making drives weapons manufacture.

The political problems mainly revolve around long term waste storage - we know what to do, where to do it, how to do it, but politics slows down the actual doing it to snails pace.....

Sooner or later we will have nuclear power in Australia - it may take 50 years, but we’ll get there - quite probably with the portable plug and play technology .

Note the reason we’ve never gone down the path of nuclear has lots to do with shit tonnes of good coal that we have , but if you can’t burn the stuff over the long term then you need to switch methods

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Note the reason we’ve never gone down the path of nuclear has lots to do with shit tonnes of good coal that we have
Yep. And the reason we may not have nuclear for the next few decades will be because we have lots of sun. Ultimately it will come down to a high proportion of renewables + coal/gas base loand and peaking plants or the same but with nuclear and given we get our coal basically for free, it will be coal still.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
we are a very long way off having a REAL solution to the energy issue
yes, renewables makes us feel all warm and fuzzy, but in reality they still need a shitload of fossil fueled powerplants to manufacture these wonderful inventions..as they dont grow on trees!
If Adani doesn't go ahead here in Qld, India will just get its coal from another country, and possibly for cheaper.
the hard fact is that coal is not dead, it is very much alive and hiding in the corner with no friends to play with...as long as we keep relying on big countries like India and China for cheap engineering solutions and equipment, it will still have a part to play in heavy industry and power generation.
do all the coal naysayers seriously believe that renewables can provide the current domestic and commercial power demands, supply an increased manufacturing industry to provide more renewable technologies and have enough in reserve for those special times when it all goes to shit..
you people have rocks in your head!
If Nuclear was a real contender, we would have started something 20 years ago (and still be building it)..but everyone still believes that it will end up as another Chernoybl!
Burn the coal now, use it to make the shit we need to get out of this mess, move on!...renewables are good, but not a magic bullet, not yet!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Whatever it takes to achieve a warming goal we want!

In essence, to hit 1.5 degrees, immediate rationing of energy & withdrawal of FF from the energy chain.

By choosing to do nothing we are just choosing to follow one of those pathways on that chart.

Pick your poison.

[edit] And to show annual CO2 emissions over time, including future projections to limit CC:

Yeah, fucking scary shit.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Whatever it takes to achieve a warming goal we want!

In essence, to hit 1.5 degrees, immediate rationing of energy & withdrawal of FF from the energy chain.

By choosing to do nothing we are just choosing to follow one of those pathways on that chart.

Pick your poison.
thats all well and good, but how do we make solar panels, inverters, wind turbines etc...we need energy to make energy making things, do you see my point!..
do we stop making air conditioners, computers, televisions, fridges, cars, furniture, food processing just so we can offset the energy needed to make renewables?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Energy rationing should take care of much of what it needs to develop & construct CC solutions:

• In terms of armaments production capacity, the primarily problem facing the U.S. was that its large but ultimately finite supplies of labor and raw materials were deployed primarily in peacetime production. In factories across the country, Americans working on assembly lines were transforming raw materials such as oil, rubber, and steel into consumer goods such as private automobiles. But the U.S. would not be able to defeat the Nazis with a fleet of Studebakers. The badly needed ramping up of war-production would require a forced cut-back in the consumption of consumer goods and a transfer of workers from peace-time production to war industries and the military.
Substitute armaments for CC solutions.

The thing is, who wants to be told how to live their lives?

Doesn't matter though - the climate will tell our kids how we fucked it all up.

Last edited: