Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Flexi day, done even get me started...
burning coal, burning jet fuel..same same but different
No, annual leave actually. Hadn't had a proper break in ages - wanted to take the whole two weeks in tassie, but dog sitting only available for a week. So I have a shit tonne of errands and things to do and might even get some riding in...

Also, I'm at a level where flex isn't a thing alas... I'm paid enough to log in remotely and do work while I'm on leave :(

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Looking locally for the moment, is there a break down of personal impacts on CO2 and methane etc split into various categories like travel (land, sea and air), food, domestic consumption etc? Look at the low hanging fruit.
The Carbon Neutral Charity Fund has a carbon footprint calculator. Not sure it will tell you where the quick wins are but it does break down footprint by categories.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I think that a massive contributor to energy use is the sit-down workforce!..so many more jobs with people sitting on computers in heavily air conditioned micro climates..for every bunch of oxygen thieving public servant with their arses parked on chairs, there is an equally large and unnecessary data center or server room using twice as much electricity, so they can do SFA all day and write shit on social media and personal interest forums!
If we sacked all the public servants and closed all the data centres...Rotorburn would basically cease to exist.

And that's before everybody goes mental about the welfare costs of dealing with all those redundant public servants...and who would actually manage those costs (and how) without any public servants or data centres?

The simplest solution is to all this and then some is sod all. Just let nature take its course and hope that the rest of us sheep don't look up. It's the most humane thing to do...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If we sacked all the public servants and closed all the data centres...Rotorburn would basically cease to exist.
Why limit to public service. Part of the reason why we can't solve CC is this 'jobs' mentality. We are stuck in the industrial age thinking where we do 40+ hours a week and most of us just piss fart around for most of it. I'll contend that if we simply shortened the working week to 3 days climate change would have more of a shot. People would be healthier, happier and actually have the time to ride bicycles more, banter on RB and the economy would shift significantly.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Why limit to public service. Part of the reason why we can't solve CC is this 'jobs' mentality. We are stuck in the industrial age thinking where we do 40+ hours a week and most of us just piss fart around for most of it. I'll contend that if we simply shortened the working week to 3 days climate change would have more of a shot. People would be healthier, happier and actually have the time to ride bicycles more, banter on RB and the economy would shift significantly.
3 day work week is the dream right there.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I disagree (surprise surprise!)
I am a career long tradesperson, and still enjoy what I do..but our job has slowly become more compliance based via the use of computer backed software and online service dockets.
we probably spend half of our time inputing information and the like on either PC or field based tablets while the actual nuts and bolts work gets pushed back and builds up to the point of failure..I cant see the point of all this, its just computer nerds and public servants creating more work via the cloud for the likes of their own..

Calvin27

Eats Squid
we probably spend half of our time inputing information and the like on either PC or field based tablets while the actual nuts and bolts work gets pushed back and builds up to the point of failure..I cant see the point of all this
This is the bs part of a job that I am talking about. Don't get me even started about environmental compliance. I've spent over a year dealing with trying to cut some trees on my property and realised that the net effect of the policy was all my neighbors decided to lop all their trees prior to the policy coming in. Talk about perverse effects!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
So many jobs are about to disappear - I get very tired of the "jobs" mantra. People are more than the shitty jobs they work. Bring on the UBI and automate all the things, allow those who want to work a few days a week on top of that to do so. A gross simplification, and unlikely to happen (except the jobs disappearing part)....

What thread is this again?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
What thread is this again?
Not needing to work 5 days 40 hours reduces transport and office load significantly. Just on cat picture hosting alone, it would save mountains of server energy. Folks would actually take the extra time to ride to a place instead of driving there to save time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
For you? 4 days.
Fuck. I resign.

Airline travel needs to be like it was way back when. Too expensive to use. Companies need to be responsible and stop the junket love ins. I travelled way too much when I was a full time employee and virtually all the trips could be done via video conferencing. Dont get me wrong, I loved flying up the front of the bus and all the perquisites that entailed but it wasnt repsonsible then and is unconscionable now.