Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I wouldn't have time for that sort of stuff and bosses would most likely shoot you for wasting their time and thank fuck I don't work in many workshops anymore, it's ok in the morning but comes afternoon with the heat different story but it actually heats the workshop up by 2 degrees.
all you are doing is actually ramming more heat energy into the room, albeit a nice shady room too
unless you remove the heat energy, you ain't gonna achieve diddly squat...moving air makes people feel cooler, but unless they are soaking wet, its evaporation that is cooling them down not the "cool air"

Flow-Rider

Burner
all you are doing is actually ramming more heat energy into the room, albeit a nice shady room too
unless you remove the heat energy, you ain't gonna achieve diddly squat...moving air makes people feel cooler, but unless they are soaking wet, its evaporation that is cooling them down not the "cool air"
Yeah, it's just the air removing the sweat that's cooling you down but we stopped placing the fan there after seeing that and there was a large arrange of louvres on the back wall that we never opened in summer either, front of the shop had a bit of shade in the afternoons but the large driveway would retain a bit of heat still.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Did you read the damn report I posted earlier?

Stop fretting about the digital age, that can be (relatively) easily solved.

Worry about the shit that can’t.
Data centres are some of the most efficient environmentally friendly businesses on the planet. Many care about this shit so are at the forefront. Better we think about flying us and our kids to get some nice pics on holiday too often whether they get to social media or not. It really sounds like @stirk is looking for an excuse to blame the kids, without first looking at the "mind boggling" array of utter shite all ages post every day. At least this has a purpose.

The local kids were saying three things, no more fossil fuel projects, 100% renewables by 2030, a just transition for fossil fuel workers to new careers. Real action. The majority of the thread decided long ago that we need real action. I'm totally with the kids, with my young adult kid through him making us first aware of this ages ago through posters at his CIT (CBR TAFE).

MARKL

Eats Squid
About 12 years ago at work I had a housing project with some research funds attached as part of a 'green' initiative - we were able to do a lot of thermal modelling - we tried out everything - insulation, orientation, window sizes, different glass types, different construction techniques, materials, trombe walls, different plantings etc.

The big thing that came out of it for me was the basics were most important - orientation and insulation.

Yep, also the double brick cavity holds the heat in more, the insulation works well in summer if you want to run aircon on all the time but that's not what I want to do.
The problem with double brick is the thermal mass, once the inner skin of brickwork heats up it radiates the heat back into the house. I think this is why it feels as though the insulation is heating up the house - the heat being radiated by the inner brick skin is being kept in by the insulation.

Without knowing your house you need to look at the western walls and increase the insulation or shade to that wall (particularly if it has a lot of glazing). Same goes for eastern and northern walls to lesser extents. Southern walls are largely irrelevant.

I've proven this theory wrong in workshops many times in Qld summers.. If you place an industrial fan by the window on the western side windows of a large shed on an afternoon of a hot summers day it actually heats the shed up because you drawing hot air from outside. If you don't believe me try it with a thermometer.
The western side is the hot side. Don't draw air from the hot side, it is only ever going to make it hotter.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Depends where you live .
In NE Vic shaded thermal mass is good since it moderates the internal temperature in summer but you need to have celerestory windows to let the heat out at night otherwise the roof insulation keeps the heat in.
Most nights are cool in the hills.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
you can free cool a house relatively easily with certain designs..
we have a 2 story house, and down stairs stays nice and cool all summer..as long as you can purge the hot air out from upstairs, the cool air will follow the airstream and provide a nice cool flow from down stairs.
another good upgrade anybody can do to their existing house is a room share, where you can link all your rooms via flexible ductwork in the ceiling, and a night purge vent in the eaves or roof...once the outside temp drops, you open the purge vent (electric damper via wall switch) and draw all the hot air trapped just under the ceiling in each room into the ductwork, and vent it outside, this will draw cool outside air back into the house to replace the air that has been ejected.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep sounds good, would work well in an existing conventional house.
I put a 2.5 m long light shaft facing south thru the roof space of another house, recently , it has an open window for summer , electric closing with rain sensor and closed up triple glazed for winter.
The roof insulation used to keep the heat in on a summer night now purges it out.
Was a bastard of a job , dusty, hot and complicated angled cuts but a good challenge.
Our house is 2 storey , lower has 60 cm thick rock walls ,upper is low thermal mass so it cools quickly.
Windows are at highest point to let out hot air = no aircon.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Depends where you live .
In NE Vic shaded thermal mass is good since it moderates the internal temperature in summer but you need to have celerestory windows to let the heat out at night otherwise the roof insulation keeps the heat in.
Most nights are cool in the hills.
Flow-Rider is in Bris-Vegas, my point was once the thermal mass heats up, which it will do with a few 40+ degree days, it is going to radiate back into the house - which I reckon is why it feels as though the insulation is making the house hotter.

When we did the thermal modelling we used a very large diurnal, effectively minus 10 to plus 45 deg C. Some things were good in summer, some in winter. Orientation and insulation were fundamental at both extremes,different construction techniques made big differences, reverse veneer was awesome. However it is probably a little late for flow-rider given he has been in his house for 30-years to make these changes.