Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No, you have to hit mitigation hard and fast with everything you’ve got. Any left over effort can go to adaptation.

Otherwise whatever you spend on adaptation now at the expense of mitigation will be spent a thousand times over in subsequent generations (hot tip - it’s not all about you).

Do both where it doesn’t detract from mitigation for sure.
Fucking well said!

Check this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...fire-crews-protect-the-insured-not-the-public

Peeps will start increasingly thinking this way with adaptation instead of mitigation.

Don't take my car, don't take my holiday, don't take my lifestyle - but fucking protect my property!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Insurance companies, especially the reinsurance providers, not initially the retailers, have clearly understood where things are headed for a long time and spearheaded (in the commercial space) climate change research decades ago. It’s still humorous to see a filthy rich ceo of an insurance company utterly convinced CC will end us all.

Btw, can we pool our cash and let butt face have an accident. Unbelievable

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, those two people voted greens. That’s why they died.

I wish they publicised that last paragraph more, rather than a footnight, the article should have been about ol’ mate calling out Joyce on his bullshit.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
No, you have to hit mitigation hard and fast with everything you’ve got. Any left over effort can go to adaptation.

Otherwise whatever you spend on adaptation now at the expense of mitigation will be spent a thousand times over in subsequent generations (hot tip - it’s not all about you).

Yeah I agree :Dtotally !! They should start by turning off all the AC in Parliament house and surrounded buildings and hit all the high paid public servants with a levy to help out third world countries with their CC policies.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah I agree :Dtotally !! They should start by turning off all the AC in Parliament house and surrounded buildings and hit all the high paid public servants with a levy to help out third world countries with their CC policies.
I wholly support cutting off services to Parliament House :)

And make all those bloody tradies ride bikes to work instead of those 4WD ute things...

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wholly support cutting off services to Parliament House :)

And make all those bloody tradies ride bikes to work instead of those 4WD ute things...
You should see the mess we have up here on Fraser island from this mob, not just the tradie club too I suspect.
Third world countries don't need help - we first world countries need to look within!
Start at the top and work your way down, even have a levy for corporate CEO's to contribute to CC policies. I better shut up now or the AFP is coming for visits :D.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I thought a mate was pulling my leg as he was telling me that they gut every catalytic converter on their Taxi's, I asked how do you get the O2 sensor failure code to turn off.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

In an ideal world, we'd do both. Clearly this is not an ideal world. We in Australia could (and should) mitigate but if we do and not enough of anyone else does then we have to adapt...as well as mitigate.

Mitigation has a buyback time measured in centuries (which is why it's unpopular) whereas adaptation has a pricetag that can be eyewatering...and forward planning at the human scale has a maximum possible influence only out to 20 years.

We aren't entirely fucked yet but it is going to be an interesting combination going forward.

Haakon

In an ideal world, we'd do both. Clearly this is not an ideal world. We in Australia could (and should) mitigate but if we do and not enough of anyone else does then we have to adapt...as well as mitigate.

Mitigation has a buyback time measured in centuries (which is why it's unpopular) whereas adaptation has a pricetag that can be eyewatering...and forward planning at the human scale has a maximum possible influence only out to 20 years.

We aren't entirely fucked yet but it is going to be an interesting combination going forward.
You've been listening to the LNP/murdoch line i fear that we will only be effective if the rest of the world does something too. This is bullshit - the rest of the world is on it and waaaaay ahead of us. We are the laggards here and already mooching off the efforts of others.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Labor is just the same @Haakon.

All the big political parties have ostensibly the same agenda. Small smudgy differences to plant your flag on, but pretty much the same.

We need a biblically heroic response right now - or the face of the planet will be changed forever:

I think that SBD believes we can control the outcome without controlling the outcome. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Haakon

I had the video feed on from Parliament (today they we debating the “big stick” legislation that includes those new powers to underwrite with tax dollars new fossil generators - probably not great timing PR wise...) and saw the Jordon Steele John bloke give the government and opposition a serious spray. It’s worth watching if you can find a YouTube link, he got stuck in!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I had the video feed on from Parliament (today they we debating the “big stick” legislation that includes those new powers to underwrite with tax dollars new fossil generators - probably not great timing PR wise...) and saw the Jordon Steele John bloke give the government and opposition a serious spray. It’s worth watching if you can find a YouTube link, he got stuck in!
Yeah but he won't get to write the legislation. We need a votable big political party to grow some fucking balls.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Labor is just the same @Haakon.

All the big political parties have ostensibly the same agenda. Small smudgy differences to plant your flag on, but pretty much the same.

We need a biblically heroic response right now - or the face of the planet will be changed forever:

I think that SBD believes we can control the outcome without controlling the outcome. Good luck with that.
At this point, we control nothing...we never really have.

I give not a shit what they say in the papers. But the truth is that human lifetimes and their attention spans are incredibly short. And the impacts already built in to the system are multitude...even with mitigation.

Mitigation is comparatively cheap and should be done but it won't be politically popular. Vested interests will be opposed and voters ambivalent. Primarily because we are ace at short term thinking. Therefore...it probably won't be done.

Adaptation is a very different story. It won't be done in an orderly fashion because it is expensive. However, it does have some quick response times if you pick the right options so it will be very useful for pork barrelling. And yet...it will be the most politically effective response for the impacts already built in. And that is really all that matters.

After all...we all know how short our attention spans really are.