Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Deadly serious to me.

Rail trails are awesome, and disused corridors would be amazing bike paths. They flatten shit out for trains. Where we can re implement trains to get cars off the road, there's generally enough space alongside for large sections that...

I get that, rail trails have there place, I've ridden the Central Otago one and it's great, but who's going to ride from say Canberra to Melbourne along a 250km straight flat track along open uncovered plains in 35° when there's the option of the Hunt 1000 route?

I understand that the terrain is completely different between the two routes and agree with @climberman to an extent, but some places would be more desirable and lend themselves to rail trails than others, I can see them working well in some parts of Vic and the NSW North Coast but gee everywhere else would be a bit of a grind I reckon.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
CC activity happening offshore, out of mind, out of sight:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ean-seabirds-killed-new-zealand-north-america

“The magnitude and scale of this failure has no precedent,” said John Piatt, the lead researcher. “It was astonishing and alarming, and a red-flag warning about the tremendous impact sustained ocean warming can have on the marine ecosystem.”

Researchers cannot determine how long it would take for the population to rebound – or if it ever will.

“In light of predicted global warming trends and the associated likelihood of more frequent heatwaves”, the study concluded, this could be a stark warning about the impending effects of the climate crisis.
But yeah, flights'n'shit.

climberman

Likes Dirt
I get that, rail trails have there place, I've ridden the Central Otago one and it's great, but who's going to ride from say Canberra to Melbourne along a 250km straight flat track along open uncovered plains in 35° when there's the option of the Hunt 1000 route?

I understand that the terrain is completely different between the two routes and agree with @climberman to an extent, but some places would be more desirable and lend themselves to rail trails than others, I can see them working well in some parts of Vic and the NSW North Coast but gee everywhere else would be a bit of a grind I reckon.
Heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps more people than will ride a Hunt route. Literally, millions more; and a demographic that spends funds. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a Hunt route and have finished a cloudride1000 but they are hardly everyone's cup of tea. Many more folks would like a flat track between B&B accommodation and coffee shops than a four hour climb up 1,000m of vertical on shitty dirt roads.
The Canberra to Cooma (or even bettter, Bombala) Monaro route would be awesome.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Canberra just got flogged by the biggest hail stones I've ever seen. Hottest day ever to the most destructive hail storm in a few weeks. My car is damaged but drivable, many of my colleagues got windows completely smashed in. CSIRO's glass houses are devastated. Our home was not affected, it hadn't ramped up to ridiculous when it passed us. There will be massive damage across the CBD and surrounds. The large hail stone is about 6cm across, they were rock solid ice.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Thunberg: We're running out of time

Q: So how do you all deal with the haters?
Autumn Peltier says she and her mother get a lot of negative comments -- and they ignore it.
Greta Thunberg sweeps the question aside, and produces a statement she’d like to read instead.
She cites the IPCC report on climate change from 2018, which explained how few years are left to act if there’s a 67% chance of keeping the global temperature rise to below 1.5%.
With today’s emissions levels, the remaining budget is gone in less than eight years.
These aren’t anyone’s views, this is the science.
Thunberg adds that such forecasts doesn’t include feedback loops and tipping points, and also often assume that “future generations will somehow suck hundreds of billions of tonnes of CO2 out of the atmosphere, even though such technology doesn’t exist yet.”

She tells Davos:
I’ve been repeating these numbers at nearly every speech I’ve given for the last 18 months.
I know you don’t want to report about these numbers, but I’ll keep saying them until you do, Thunberg concludes.
Listen to the message, don't critique the messenger.

It's the message that matters. Anything else is pointless noise.