Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Had to vent about 500 grams of R134a from two cars on the weekend. Couldn't get the cars to an AC shop, and no mobile service was interested in coming to recover it for me... Has a GWP of 1300, not awesome.
now this really shits me
I have to pay lots of money to hold a licence so I can handle and work with refrigerants correctly, and you go and do this and think it's ok!
you need another job
https://www.arctick.org/media/1111/fact-sheet-11-penalties-under-the-act-and-the-regulations.pdf

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It would cost me $80 each to dump a dead fridge and two hole in the wall air-conditioners at the local tip because they are still charged with refrigerants.

The local alternative solution is to stab them with a crowbar before dumping them. Then they can be dropped at the tip for free...

Otherwise its drive them to the big town (300 km round trip) to drop them there for free. So, at the moment, they live in our dry dump down in our scrub...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
now this really shits me
I have to pay lots of money to hold a licence so I can handle and work with refrigerants correctly, and you go and do this and think it's ok!
you need another job
https://www.arctick.org/media/1111/fact-sheet-11-penalties-under-the-act-and-the-regulations.pdf
Yikes, those are some decent penalties! And a good thing I'd say for the industry working with the stuff day in day out - they're trying to control the industry repeatedly venting stuff.

Doesn't apply to the backyard DIYer - whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure. Sure didn't have many options available to me!

Is the gas recovered usable/worth anything? Is it a big job to recover it?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Of course you couldn't get the cars to an A/C shop.

Or maybe you couldn't be bothered to pay for a flatbed?

The dichotomy that is @Haakon.
I'm a walking dilemma :) But you're right, it could have been done for a cost. A very big one and not one that added up for me.

Its effect is about equivalent to 2 or 3 tanks of fuel being consumed. And it would have leaked eventually anyway (yes I know thats a spurious rationale). And I wont be recharging with r134a, I'll be using a refrigerant with a GWP of 28 ;)

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yikes, those are some decent penalties! And a good thing I'd say for the industry working with the stuff day in day out - they're trying to control the industry repeatedly venting stuff.

Doesn't apply to the backyard DIYer - whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure. Sure didn't have many options available to me!

Is the gas recovered usable/worth anything? Is it a big job to recover it?
Serious question, why do you think that the Act doesn't apply to a backyard DIYer?

EDIT: From Section 45B of Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2018C00030

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I'm a walking dilemma :) But you're right, it could have been done for a cost. A very big one and not one that added up for me.

Its effect is about equivalent to 2 or 3 tanks of fuel being consumed. And it would have leaked eventually anyway (yes I know thats a spurious rationale). And I wont be recharging with r134a, I'll be using a refrigerant with a GWP of 28 ;)
you cant just put whatever gas you like back into a system, It wont work correctly.
if it has been designed for 134a, you have to stick to it, unless you do a full retrofit and change all the seals, gaskets, system lube oil and TX metering device as well as any pressure/temp control.....this sounds like a job best left to a tradie not some low level public service whom gives zero fucks about the environment when it becomes a little too inconvenient.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
you cant just put whatever gas you like back into a system, It wont work correctly.
if it has been designed for 134a, you have to stick to it, unless you do a full retrofit and change all the seals, gaskets, system lube oil and TX metering device as well as any pressure/temp control.....this sounds like a job best left to a tradie not some low level public service whom gives zero fucks about the environment when it becomes a little too inconvenient.
I’m guessing the word HyChill gives you the vapours?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well there you go. Oops... I had been informed otherwise, but guess I was misinformed.
What's that siren? Is it the feds? A highly trained dog hanging out the window tracking down the source of the leak...probably a cute beagle that you really want to pay when it sits next to you.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What's that siren? Is it the feds? A highly trained dog hanging out the window tracking down the source of the leak...probably a cute beagle that you really want to pay when it sits next to you.
Awww, Beagles are adorable! Sam might get a bit miffed though if one comes to visit...