Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
For the first time since records began, temperatures reached 40 degrees Celsius in the country, peaking at 40.3C at Coningsby, a small village in England's Midlands. It is about 1.6 degrees warmer than the last hottest day recorded, 38.7C in Cambridge in July 2019.

A new record was also set in Wales on Monday when the maximum reached 37.1C, beating a previous high of 35.2C, while Scotland topped its previous hottest temperature of 32.9C set in 2003, by reaching 34.8C at Charterhall on Tuesday.

Vikki Thompson, a climate scientist from the University of Bristol, told the ABC the record-setting temperatures were "not normal".

"With temperature records, we are seeing them jump up by two or three degrees at a time," she said. "It's like a long-jump record increasing by a metre, and that's not normal, that's because the climate system is acting as if it's on steroids."

Australians might be used to seeing the mercury climb this high at the peak of summer, but the usual July average maximum in London is about 23C. In fact, records show that 100 years ago the maximum temperature reached in the UK on July 18, 1922, was just 19.9C.

"Nine of the 10 hottest days have happened in the last decade," Dr Thompson said. "These heatwaves, they are happening more and more often, and are getting hotter and hotter. That is because of climate change."

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm currently in the UK and I can tell you it has been farkin' hot. Seems to be a new ethic race in Britain, single sex topless humanoids with beetroot coloured skin and a slurred form of communication

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This world trip we covered a bit of the same ground as last trip and at one look out which had a windfarm in the background had yet another person start an uninvited conversation about how shit wind turbines were. I noted that they were driving a Vic registered ute with a block of units attached but as much as I would like to say it is a Vic thing it is sadly a reality that so many boomers get their information from arsebook or similar and have no fucking idea and cannot make a judgement of their own. After giving the wind turbines a spray for a good 10 minutes he was clearly waiting for my confirmation of his rant. I asked if he had worked in the industry and he shook his head and told me he was a retired real estate agent so I said I do/did. I then said maybe 10% or 15% of what you said is true, mostly about the options for recycling some bits and the fact that they don't generate if there is no wind (duh, nor does a hydro plant generate if there is no water or a gas plant with no gas etc). The rest was horseshit of the highest order. He pointed to the dozen or so turbines and said so why aren't all of them spinning? Ah well you see only 4 are actually completed and achieved commercial operation. Another 4 or 5 are in commissioning phase and undergoing trials and testing and the remaining ones are in various stages of construction. I pointed out the 'frames' next to two and said those are cranes lifting bits and pieces into position. Not sure his eyes worked goodly enough to see but don't care. Won't be ready for service for several months most likely since it seems to have taken about a year to get those first 4 from construction to operation. Supply issues are hitting everyone. Not sure about the timing but there you go. He grunted a bit so I said I would love to keep talking but I have things to do and I really don't want to hear how the covid vaccine is a conspiracy or that the LNP should have won the election so that Australia can be safe from non god fearing lefties. Sayonara...

It is fucking depressing how poor some peoples knowledge is and yet they think because they read it on facebook or heard it on a cockhead affair they are educated on a subject.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
you know, if anyone wasnt sure of albo before, he's certainly making a positive mark early, even with the fumbles to date.
Yeah, considering the shit sandwich they inherited - they’re at least ticking off as many ‘reset to normal’ stuff as possible. Interesting to see what happens once the ‘blame it on the prior government’ period wears off…

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
you know, if anyone wasnt sure of albo before, he's certainly making a positive mark early, even with the fumbles to date.
Yeah, I think they've recognised they've got a bit of a mandate (not directly, but via the teal wave) to go harder on climate change issues than they may have thought they could.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This world trip we covered a bit of the same ground as last trip and at one look out which had a windfarm in the background had yet another person start an uninvited conversation about how shit wind turbines were.
I think wind turbines look cool. You know what does look shit? Popping into the LaTrobe valley and seeing the massive fuck off coal power station (Yallourn) squatting in the middle of it. It's like they deliberately chose the nicest vista they could possibly find to fuck up with it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think wind turbines look cool. You know what does look shit? Popping into the LaTrobe valley and seeing the massive fuck off coal power station (Yallourn) squatting in the middle of it. It's like they deliberately chose the nicest vista they could possibly find to fuck up with it.
The mines are worse, big ugly holes in the ground though at least yours look like dirt. Next topic red mud dams at alumina refineries and toxic water holes at Gold mines.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The mines are worse, big ugly holes in the ground though at least yours look like dirt. Next topic red mud dams at alumina refineries and toxic water holes at Gold mines.
Ive been on a tour of Loy Yang A power station and the mine. Its a fucking big hole and a longish (and quite sketchy...) bus ride down into it... My (not so) inner tech nerd had a ball looking at the turbine hall and electrostatic precipitators and looking directly into a running furnace (wow!!), and I couldnt help but be impressed they dug a hole that freaking hoooooge in only a few decades. Fun day out.

But bloody hell, what a goddamn awful mess its leaving behind.... :(

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is fucking depressing how poor some peoples knowledge is and yet they think because they read it on facebook or heard it on a cockhead affair they are educated on a subject.
The internet has been great for spreading both information and misinformation - trouble is that much like old mate most people love to reinforce a view they already hold (heard from their friend etc) and thus seek out support for that view. Of course whatever view that is will find support in some facebook group.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The internet has been great for spreading both information and misinformation - trouble is that much like old mate most people love to reinforce a view they already hold (heard from their friend etc) and thus seek out support for that view. Of course whatever view that is will find support in some facebook group.
Even the mainstream media miss quotes a lot of things to suit its own agenda.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This is not encouraging… I still vote greens on the basis I have to, but fuck me I wish they’d get their shit together!!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So I'm watching this a bit at a time, the irony of watching it on YouTube and getting this ad...
Oh FFS YouTube, an ad for fucking Rowan Dean's new book denying climate changecame next. Well at least I wasted some of his money viewing the ad.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh FFS YouTube, an ad for fucking Rowan Dean's new book denying climate changecame next. Well at least I wasted some of his money viewing the ad.
Whenever I see him my first thought is he's a discount Playschool host. If you ignore what he's saying and tie his expressions in with what Mr McGregor found Peter Rabbit doing behind the garden shed it's bang on.