Please help axle is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
dt swiss hub internal (silver part) on intense m3 axle. Its completely stuck what can i do

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Forgive my ignorance, but you’re trying to remove what looks to be the outer (aluminium?) sleeve from a steel axle - for a QR perhaps?

If so, and you’ve had some moisture between the outer sleeve and axle and it’s rusted, then it might be problematic to remove. You could also be fortunate in that it might just be some old grease that’s sort of glued them together.

I’ve got two suggestions:
1. Go to Bunnings, get a 1m length of 12mm aluminium tube for 3 bucks. Chop off 5cm or so, place the axle vertically on a block of wood with the tube over the steel axle against the axle sleeve, and give the tube a few light taps with a hammer to free it up. Hopefully the soft aluminium tube won’t damage the axle sleeve. If you have some penetrating oil I’d soak the axle in that beforehand. A piece of 1/2” copper water pipe might work too if you have some lying about.
Edit: this assumes it’s a 10mm inner axle, it it’s 15mm then it’s a bigger tube size.

2. You can do this if suggestion 1 isn’t successful Initially. As aluminium has a greater thermal expansion coefficient than steel, get some of that freeze spray from Jaycar or similar, heat the axle on the gas stove or put it in the oven to get it nice and warm (maybe only 60-70deg or so so you don’t weaken the manufacturing heat treatment), then quickly cool it with the freeze spray. Repeat the process several times, then try suggestion 1 again. If you used penetrating oil clean it off before heating the axle obviously.

Whatever you do, slowly does it; finesse over brute force or we’ll see you in the FW thread - good luck!

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
Forgive my ignorance, but you’re trying to remove what looks to be the outer (aluminium?) sleeve from a steel axle - for a QR perhaps?

If so, and you’ve had some moisture between the outer sleeve and axle and it’s rusted, then it might be problematic to remove. You could also be fortunate in that it might just be some old grease that’s sort of glued them together.

I’ve got two suggestions:
1. Go to Bunnings, get a 1m length of 12mm aluminium tube for 3 bucks. Chop off 5cm or so, place the axle vertically on a block of wood with the tube over the steel axle against the axle sleeve, and give the tube a few light taps with a hammer to free it up. Hopefully the soft aluminium tube won’t damage the axle sleeve. If you have some penetrating oil I’d soak the axle in that beforehand. A piece of 1/2” copper water pipe might work too if you have some lying about.
Edit: this assumes it’s a 10mm inner axle, it it’s 15mm then it’s a bigger tube size.

2. You can do this if suggestion 1 isn’t successful Initially. As aluminium has a greater thermal expansion coefficient than steel, get some of that freeze spray from Jaycar or similar, heat the axle on the gas stove or put it in the oven to get it nice and warm (maybe only 60-70deg or so so you don’t weaken the manufacturing heat treatment), then quickly cool it with the freeze spray. Repeat the process several times, then try suggestion 1 again. If you used penetrating oil clean it off before heating the axle obviously.

Whatever you do, slowly does it; finesse over brute force or we’ll see you in the FW thread - good luck!
Whats the fw thread and thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.