Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

Beej1

Was out @ the Gorge yesterday. Didn't feel as cold as the frost on my car overnight would otherwise indicate.

Man ... lots of trail creation/modification happening out there. At least, since I was last out there a month ago.

Dunno how I feel about turning the fun long descent from the tank down along the gully to the 5-ways into the highway it currently is. It was fun to ride, and that newly added berm on the right-hander means you can carry more speed. But at the same time, it's gone from a 30cm wide trail to about a metre wide, and I was using that right hander to try and better my off-camber cornering skills (or at least, turn said skills from non-existent to 'something'). Not meaning to sound like I'm complaining (like I said, it was fun), but it doesn't look like a lot of thought was put into minimising impact.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
I concur. The works were noticed promptly and reported to the Rangers as unauthorised. They went in and had a look, said no immediate danger but astonished at the amount of dirt moved. They were going to look into possible rehabilitation if necessary.

We don't want to turn the Gorge into Buxton, or the You Yangs. There may be scope for that kind of trail in future, but a large part of the majority appeal is that natural trail surface, and we are doing everything we can to maintain that.

Cheers,
Emerson
President of Plenty Gorge MTB Club

Beej1

We don't want to turn the Gorge into Buxton, or the You Yangs. There may be scope for that kind of trail in future....
Been riding out the Gorge for nearly a decade. There are most definitely spots where this sort of trail would be awesome, and not look like a digger has gone in and gouged out a huge swathe of earth. When raising a child no longer takes up seemingly 1000% of total energy expenditure, I was going to start chatting to you about where I'm thinking. So, expect me to get in touch in about ... another 10 years.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
I'll still be around. My girl will be 12 and my boy will be 10. I'll probably be more involved in the advocacy process than I am already!

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Lucky

Was out @ the Gorge yesterday. Didn't feel as cold as the frost on my car overnight would otherwise indicate.

Man ... lots of trail creation/modification happening out there. At least, since I was last out there a month ago.

Dunno how I feel about turning the fun long descent from the tank down along the gully to the 5-ways into the highway it currently is. It was fun to ride, and that newly added berm on the right-hander means you can carry more speed. But at the same time, it's gone from a 30cm wide trail to about a metre wide, and I was using that right hander to try and better my off-camber cornering skills (or at least, turn said skills from non-existent to 'something'). Not meaning to sound like I'm complaining (like I said, it was fun), but it doesn't look like a lot of thought was put into minimising impact.
Lucky for you that almost every other corner there is off camber so you can practice and as for the other stuff that's been done,I think it's cool .If you hit it right you can jump 9 metres (or rollable)or so on that second pump.I would like to see more of it.I guess it will blend in in no time at all and look natural.I also stopped and looked at the pumps and berm built and it looks pretty well built and drained to me.

Beej1

Lucky for you that almost every other corner there is off camber so you can practice ...
Yeah but none are as prominent - hence why this one got berm'd I guess.

I liked it too ... it's fun, as I said. I just reckon it would be better if someone started from scratch somewhere else, rather than change something that was already there.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Yeah but none are as prominent - hence why this one got berm'd I guess.

I liked it too ... it's fun, as I said. I just reckon it would be better if someone started from scratch somewhere else, rather than change something that was already there.
This is a bit of a problem. There is a general ban on building new trails throughout Plenty Gorge Park - just ask any PV Ranger. PGMTB Club has agreed to endorse this ban, although unfortunately a few trail fairies appear to be ignoring it at the moment. As much as I dislike unsanctioned, unilateral changes to existing trails, we really only have the option to maintain the existing network, unless we really want to raise the ire of the land managers and get stuff shut down as it starts to appear all over the place. There is a problem with digging - without a permit, it's simply not allowed - so as much as we might love berms and dirt jumps incorporated into the trails, we simply aren't allowed to do it.

There is good news in the pipeline for MTB in Plenty Gorge Park. The draft management proposal, which is currently open for public consultation and comment, clearly specifies MTB as an endorsed activity. We know, from our discussions with the Rangers, that they are almost as keen as we are on maintaining the natural appeal of the trails: it's less work to assess/build/maintain them, and it is a huge part of what attracts riders to the area. We have submitted to PV that at least 90% of the existing trails in the Yellow Gum Park & Janefield North area should be kept open to mountain-bikers without any substantial change. You can have your say, as individuals, whether or not you agree with the PGMTB point of view, in the survey which I'll link below. I urge all mountain-bikers to do so.

· visit www.parks.vic.gov.au/plentygorgeplan

· complete the online survey

· follow the project on Parks Victoria’s Facebook page

· email comments to this email address (PlentyGorgePlan@parks.vic.gov.au).

Cheers,
Emerson

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What berms and jumps? They are water bars to prevent erosion Sir. ;)

Yet to ride Plenty, hope to get there soon. How does it hold up in winter?

emerthis

Likes Dirt
What berms and jumps? They are water bars to prevent erosion Sir. ;)

Yet to ride Plenty, hope to get there soon. How does it hold up in winter?
The Gorge holds up very well through winter. Hook up with some locals and head over for about 30km of (mostly) very natural trails.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
just alittle maintenance. On the run from the water tower west past a small dam.
There has been some digging, which is more than a little maintenance. The Rangers are going to take a look at it on the basis of the amount of dirt that's been moved, to see if any needs to be put back where it came from.

While the Club has been given the ok to do basic maintenance on the existing trail network, any new trails, rerouting or extensions are specifically prohibited.

When undertaking maintenance works, the Club is required to submit details of the proposed works, people carrying out the work, and how the work is to be done, for approval by Parks Victoria. Unfortunately, in this case, that process hasn't been followed, and this kind of disregard for correct procedure is slowing down our progress in getting the existing network assessed for any potential official approval.

We'd like to invite anyone who is keen to work on the trails to join the club, as part of our trail maintenance team. Please contact Sean, who leads that team, at the club's email address below.

Looking forward to the time we can get in and start doing some serious trail work, but PV tells us this is still subject to the draft Master Plan being accepted and put into action - so we hope you've all been heavily involved in having your say on that while they were asking for public comment.

Cheers,
Emerson
President of Plenty Gorge MTB Club

plentygorgemtb@gmail.com

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Mate that wasn't the clubs work? Didn't realize that- sorry

Please folks no building out there. If you want to help please contact the Plenty Gorge MTB Club and lend a hand. All your good work is counter productive.

Last edited:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Mate that wasn't the clubs work? Didn't realize that- sorry

Please folks no building out there. If you want to help please contact the Plenty Gorge MTB Club and lend a hand. All your good work is counter productive.
Just a heads up for everyone. Due to the amount of soil moved (and the fact it was unauthorized) Parks had to restore this section that was dug up. It will be soft and loose for a couple weeks.

http://plentygorgemtb.org.au/2015/08/26/trail-restoration/

simon21

Likes Bikes
Two questions. Wheres the best place to park for a first timer coming from Northcote? And what direction do i ride from there? I'm aware of the club rides but they dont really go with my scedule. Cheers!

cracker

Likes Dirt
in between collendina cr and queens gdns
there is an entrance go threw the gates and follow the fire trail type thing then start exploring