Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

emerthis

Likes Dirt
PG is single track heaven. Push it to the limit and the downs are life threatening with all the steep dropoffs into the creek. Plenty of features to navigate on the downs on 100mm XC bikes. I enjoy up as much as down.

It's a park for 100mm bikes, taking the 150mm enduro here would be 2 hrs of hell.
That's how some of us roll. The enduro might not be necessary but it's great for the rock garden trails.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kbekus

Likes Dirt
PG is single track heaven. Push it to the limit and the downs are life threatening with all the steep dropoffs into the creek. Plenty of features to navigate on the downs on 100mm XC bikes. I enjoy up as much as down.

It's a park for 100mm bikes, taking the 150mm enduro here would be 2 hrs of hell.
+1 great natural terrain tracks. A hardtail is a good option here too. Way too pinchy for a big travel bike.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Page 13 of the master plan has one of the best MTB trail maps I’ve seen of the PG area.

Based on the proposed trail map on page 47 of the master plan it looks like all of the south side is out, as is the far North West, i.e. all of the best bits. To someone in the know: is this the proposal?

At least we are a high priority (although most things seem to be a high priority).

Beej1

Based on the proposed trail map on page 47 of the master plan it looks like all of the south side is out, as is the far North West, i.e. all of the best bits. To someone in the know: is this the proposal?
At the top of that page of that map it says "...including controlled mountain biking"

So you can probably still ride the other areas as part of this master plan. But just .... keep it loose.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
At the top of that page of that map it says "...including controlled mountain biking"

So you can probably still ride the other areas as part of this master plan. But just .... keep it loose.
If a trail isn't closed, it's open.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Just a heads up, the bridge across the river at the bottom of The Long and Winding Trail has been destroyed. You can still cross the river, half the bridge is there but you have to walk along the branches of a fallen tree to get to the other bank, and then scramble up it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Was in there on my own yesterday, the single track up the top going to Gorge Rd, jesus that's intense with some serious consequences if you fuck up. And I thought the Goat Tack was challenging.

Riding PG on an enduro bike, not my smartest move. Still had a blast.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Was in there on my own yesterday, the single track up the top going to Gorge Rd, jesus that's intense with some serious consequences if you fuck up. And I thought the Goat Tack was challenging.

Riding PG on an enduro bike, not my smartest move. Still had a blast.
I ride everything in there (aside from a few bits that I have to walk) on my Intense Tracer. That's an enduro bike, right?
There certainly are several bits where you need to be careful, and I wouldn't recommend doing it solo for the first time - but with care it's all good fun.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I ride everything in there (aside from a few bits that I have to walk) on my Intense Tracer. That's an enduro bike, right?
There certainly are several bits where you need to be careful, and I wouldn't recommend doing it solo for the first time - but with care it's all good fun.

Sure in an enduro at 160mm!
Was about my 8th ride in there, I managed to take a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at the top end, I'd never ridden the tracks up there. You sure can have fun in there on 150-160mm bikes, the gravel pit run called "welcome to plenty gorge" on strava is insanely fast and i was still on the brakes and had to jump the huge rut, I do want to drive in and session that down to the creak, maybe even on the DH bike.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was about my 8th ride in there, I managed to take a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at the top end, I'd never ridden the tracks up there. You sure can have fun in there on 150-160mm bikes, the gravel pit run called "welcome to plenty gorge" on strava is insanely fast and i was still on the brakes and had to jump the huge rut, I do want to drive in and session that down to the creak, maybe even on the DH bike.
You found the good stuff .. The "Welcome" trail from the tarmac imo is the best bit of natural single track close to the cbd. Once you have a few runs you can let it rip,.. 160mm bike is perfect for it.. There is another trail that links off it that has a pants shitting chute and step down..

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
That's the best bit about PG, if you get a bit bush, you tend to find more gold, and end up having way more boner than if you stuck to the familiar stuff. The place just keeps on giving.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You found the good stuff .. The "Welcome" trail from the tarmac imo is the best bit of natural single track close to the cbd. Once you have a few runs you can let it rip,.. 160mm bike is perfect for it.. There is another trail that links off it that has a pants shitting chute and step down..
I let it rip a few times with full armour and full face helmet and clocked a 1:07, went back to the car and geared up for an XC ride and rode it again and clocked 1:08, mainly gained at the climb end past the river, but hmm, 34 vs 30km/h, still be fubar-ed if off down there at speed.

Heat stress from pushing back up wasn't fun.

Plankosaurus is going to join me next Saturday at about 3pm for some fun, anyone else wants to join, feel free.

Met some fuckwit on an ebike coming up this track when I was at full noise, one of the monocoque variants with 1500-2000watts, he rode up the steep last bit near the river. These riders are the scum of the earth.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I let it rip a few times with full armour and full face helmet and clocked a 1:07, went back to the car and geared up for an XC ride and rode it again and clocked 1:08, mainly gained at the climb end past the river, but hmm, 34 vs 30km/h, still be fubar-ed if off down there at speed.
Are you doing the "road to river" st before hitting "welcome" section? Adds another minute and has some interesting off shoots..

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hi all, new the gorge trails, is there a map anywhere or certain trailhead that would be best to start from?
I was thinking of checking out PG tomorrow some time. havnt taken the hardtail out for a while.

There is some info on starting points back a couple of pages. Just have a read through.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
I was thinking of checking out PG tomorrow some time. havnt taken the hardtail out for a while.

There is some info on starting points back a couple of pages. Just have a read through.
Trailforks app is the only decent map, and there are no signs as yet - the whole network is still informal and the proposed trial loops only cover about 20km out of over 100km of singletrack. As a starting point the water tank on Goldsworthy Lane is a good bet, as several easy loops start from there, and you can also access more technical trails close by.

Check our club page on FB for organised social rides.

Plenty Gorge MTB

Cheers,
Emerson