Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Trailforks app is the only decent map, and there are no signs as yet - the whole network is still informal and the proposed trial loops only cover about 20km out of over 100km of singletrack. As a starting point the water tank on Goldsworthy Lane is a good bet, as several easy loops start from there, and you can also access more technical trails close by.

Check our club page on FB for organised social rides.

Plenty Gorge MTB

Cheers,
Emerson

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Snap shot below

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
Sure in an enduro at 160mm!
Was about my 8th ride in there, I managed to take a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at the top end, I'd never ridden the tracks up there. You sure can have fun in there on 150-160mm bikes, the gravel pit run called "welcome to plenty gorge" on strava is insanely fast and i was still on the brakes and had to jump the huge rut, I do want to drive in and session that down to the creak, maybe even on the DH bike.
Just getting to know Plenty Gorge, can someone tell me exactly where this "welcome to plenty gorge" trail is?

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Just getting to know Plenty Gorge, can someone tell me exactly where this "welcome to plenty gorge" trail is?
I think its proper name is Rocky Raccoon. It heads down to the river from the 'Ankle Track' fire trail which starts near the car gate and speed bumps going in to Yellow Gum picnic area.
At the bottom of the trail is a bridge across the Plenty River with 'welcome' on it.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
I see the kids are building new jumps again on the north side. I say kids because these are the crappest jumps ever. Saw a bunch of the little shites attempting to clear said jumps. Tried to say hi but they looked at me like I was a rock spider so I shot of quick.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey guys! I've got a club/social ride at Plenty Gorge this Saturday, but with forecast of rain, and the fact that I haven't had a decent razz in 2 months, should I give it a miss? Much climbing? How's it hold up in the wet? Cheers!

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Hey guys! I've got a club/social ride at Plenty Gorge this Saturday, but with forecast of rain, and the fact that I haven't had a decent razz in 2 months, should I give it a miss? Much climbing? How's it hold up in the wet? Cheers!
Yeh lots of short punchy climbs. Handles the weather quite well. I can stay damp low down by the river.
Saying that the weather forecast looks quite dismal for Saturday

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Most tracks are built on the side of a hill so they drain quite well but it still is a touch grassy and slippery in places - if it's been raining I'd still ride it but I'd recommend a slightly beefier tyre than a hardpack XC style one.

ndc

Likes Bikes
39042039_1372964842833789_9194303784094793728_n.png
39047167_1372959156167691_8854174861384220672_o.png

38949084_1373066949490245_4791985124856037376_o.jpg

WE NEED YOU to PICK OUR PROJECT and VOTE FOR US to formalise the MTB trail network in Plenty Gorge Park (Yellow Gum area)!

Do you enjoy the trails at Plenty Gorge Park? Well did you know that the singletrack you may have been riding are all informal? Do you want to change this? Now is your chance...

The Plenty Gorge MTB club has been working with Parks Victoria (landholder) to change this over the past few years and we are now at the stage have an APPROVED but UNFUNDED project to formalise some of the trail network in the Yellow Gum area. Refer to the Plenty Gorge Park Master Plan. Thank you for all those that provided their feedback to the master plan.

WE NEED YOUR HELP! Read on for how you can continue to help turn this into a reality.

The PGMTB club submitted a funding application to the Victoria government initiative called Pick My Project in order to fund this project.

We are excited and please to announce that our application was successfully approved to the "voting" stage of the process!

So it's now all up to you - the ball is in YOUR HANDS. As the community of the Metropolitan Melbourne region, you get to have your vote as to which project gets funded.

If you are a Victorian resident and 16 years old & over, all you need to do is:

1. Sign up at Pick My Project using with your real mobile number as it will be verified: https://pickmyproject.vic.gov.au/

2. Select "Plenty VIC, Australia" as own local community and look for the project called "Plenty Gorge Park mountain bike trail program" *. If you don't see our project, you'll have to re-select your local community to be closer to Plenty VIC 3090. Direct link: https://pickmyproject.vic.gov.au/ro...plenty-gorge-park-mountain-bike-trail-program

3. Add our project to your SHORTLIST (along with 2 other projects) and then you can VOTE. This will help make the Yellow Gum area at Plenty Gorge Park the best place to ride MTB in Melbourne! :)

4. TELL YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, WORK & STRANGERS AND SHARE!

From all the committee and members of the Plenty Gorge MTB Club, we say THANK YOU!

* Important: If you cannot add our project due to being "Outside your area", it is because your selected local community is located too far away from Yellow Gum (Plenty, 3090). You will need to re-select your local community to somewhere closer to Plenty VIC 3090.

38985047_1373745349422405_1781565993592553472_n.png

Last edited:

Beej1

Ps there’s some fiesty big roo’s out there. One wouldn’t move of the trail even with a staring match.
I've seen several (or the same one several times) with freaking enormous biceps. I half expect to cross paths with it one day curling a fallen tree trunk.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a tv show set being constructed just as you enter the bitumen of yellow gum park. Chatting to one of the crew it’s a 1800’s outback reality jobbie with tents and log structures. The set backs right onto the best trail in the park, “road to river” (strava).. Reckon it will be piss funny to have bikes bombing down the trail with free hubs whizzing while old mate is pretending he is living in the 1800’s..

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading out to Plenty Gorge tomorrow to explore - only real trails in my 25 km radius. Rode there once years ago and found a few trails.

Any tips on where to start, good trails, closed trails, fun loops? Have had a good look at Trailforks and will work something out, but also good to have a bit of local knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Carome Homestead is a good place to start. Follow the river downstream and enjoy!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Heading out to Plenty Gorge tomorrow to explore - only real trails in my 25 km radius. Rode there once years ago and found a few trails.

Any tips on where to start, good trails, closed trails, fun loops? Have had a good look at Trailforks and will work something out, but also good to have a bit of local knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'll be getting lost out there aswell... i did a quick one earlier in the week, first ride there in about 5 years, and found its easier to just ride and point your bike down anything that looks interesting, will probably attempt to get out to Norge heading north from the Queens Gardens entry but i could end up anywhere really.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
i'll be getting lost out there aswell... i did a quick one earlier in the week, first ride there in about 5 years, and found its easier to just ride and point your bike down anything that looks interesting, will probably attempt to get out to Norge heading north from the Queens Gardens entry but i could end up anywhere really.
That's quite the distance, although not too many km.
I ride from Mernda Station to Queens Gardens on Monday and I was tired when I got there. After 33km of singletrack I had to bail out up Plenty Rd to get back.
But there are heaps of options so yeah, jump in and enjoy.
Trailforks will save you some trial and error though.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
so did not make it to norge... not even close. Its good to ride the mtb, but cant wait for regional to open up.