Plus size tyres/wheels? 27.5 and 29er. Opinions?

Marx

Likes Dirt
So these plus size wheels, has anyone ridden them in the real world?
Is it true what they say about them?
Are there any unique issues with them?
Can I go for plus size tyres on a hardtail & get almost a dual-esque sort of ride?
Should I beleive the hype?

BIKP-160300-BTST-08-2.jpg

29a2c46f15a5ed34c1a0e16c15fe955d.jpg

I currently got a hardtail 29er running regular 2.4fr/2.2rr tyres, bush trail riding mostly with the odd interclub/3hr/6hr XC event about 8 times a year.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So these plus size wheels, has anyone ridden them in the real world?
Is it true what they say about them?
Are there any unique issues with them?
Can I go for plus size tyres on a hardtail & get almost a dual-esque sort of ride?
Should I beleive the hype?

I currently got a hardtail 29er running regular 2.4fr/2.2rr tyres, brush trail riding mostly with the odd interclub/3hr/6hr XC event about 8 times a year.
I've only ridden a Stumpy FSR fattie.... and it was in uninspiring, non technical and unchallenged terrain.... but on fast flowing XC style trails there was grip for weeks.
I liked it so much that I'm building a + hardtail for myself. I was looking for a fast, fun 29er hardtail, but I'm gonna swig the cool aide and give + a go!

Don't kid yourself and think that the extra volume will give your arse/back/soul a dually ride comfort. Its still a hardtail.

You should go and find somewhere to test ride a + rig in anger.. hype and opinion is in the eye of the beer holder.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
what he said, easiest bike to test is probably a specialized fuse.

it will be a bit slacker/longer/lower than a normal 29" hardtail, but it will give you a good idea of the traction, rolling resistance and added comfort that a plus sized hardtail may/may not offer.

i've just converted my enduro to 27.5+, but still have a similar specced 29" wheelset, so i'll be trying to get runs on both to gauge the differences better.

Marx

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'll keep an eye out for a Specialized test ride.

The best thing I personally discovered riding a 29er (compared to ole school 26 XC bike) is the chainwheel & pedal clearance everywhere. I'm able to crank through corners banked over with hardly any pedal strike, & log/rock garden rollovers with comparatively no chainwheel bite.
Regular (MTB) 175mm cranks.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Any specialized LBS should have something you can throw your leg over.

Bottom bracket height/clearance isn't necessarily related to wheel size. Plenty of 29er's with low BB's, and vice versa.

If you're looking to convert a 29er to 27.5 plus, the BB will drop around 10mm.

Marx

Likes Dirt
Any specialized LBS should have something you can throw your leg over.

Bottom bracket height/clearance isn't necessarily related to wheel size. Plenty of 29er's with low BB's, and vice versa.

If you're looking to convert a 29er to 27.5 plus, the BB will drop around 10mm.
Yeah, I'm just getting my head around the correct geo specs when looking at different MTB configurations.
My current ride has a Bottom bracket drop (BBD) of 60mm running 29er wheels, so any 6fattie with a BBD of 50mm (approx) should still give me the same crank clearance I'm enjoying now.